Re: Peter Miller's Don't Bin It, Fix It Article

Nightflyer

Advert

Thanks DD that is a much cheaper price for a longer bit of tube. The nearest Wickes is at Coney Hall West Wickham which is not too far away and fairly close to Avicraft where hopefully I can obtain other bits.

I will check out the Seagull website KT as there might be some useful tips. However I have been making up the replacement bulkheads with much stronger ply and of my own design and intend to add additional strengthning. I may add a little weight but I don't think the performance of the plane will be affected as the owner uses a new OS 46 up front with plenty of power.

The Paper Aviation Eezzy Peezzy (or however it's spelt!) uses wood dowel (about16mm IIRC) into what I think is phenolic tube and the instructions tell you to wrap the dowel with paper masking tape for a close fit. When I built (actually I finished a part-built model) I used 2" tape in about 6 places and it works perfectly on an 84" ws model. I'm told the wing is the same as the better known Regal Eagle biplane but I don't know if the wing tubes use the same technique.

Admittedly it's not super aerobatic but I do loop and roll it even though it's not very pretty.

So if you can't find tubing that's the right internal fit then perhaps dowel (or smaller diameter aluminium) wrapped in masking tape isn't such an outrageous solution as you might think.

Geoff

I managed to obtain the Wickes 16 mm DIA aluminium tube at about £6.00 and there was sufficient length for two wing tubes. Thanks DD.

I have fitted both wings but need to strengthen the fuselage wing fixing areas as they suffered a number of fractures to the lightweight ply. I still need to glue the fuselage sides and add more balsa sheet where it was damaged. This will also be necessary on the underside of the fuselage.

It was interesting to watch the YouTube video review of the unmade Challenger kit.

p6060019.jpg

p6060020.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 07/06/2017 23:16:10

More progress made on the Seagull Challenger repair. I am now in the process of replacing the damaged balsa on the fuselage side and underneath the same. Al reinforcing with balsa strip has been carried out and checks for symmetry. It does not look too bad however I am told that often a repaired plane is never quite the same when flown.

p6100025.jpg

p6100026.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 10/06/2017 19:58:45

I've repaired wrecked ARTF's in the past - in fact if someone breaks one, they give it to me if they were going to bin it. I have this model, years ago, still have it which was broken. 20 years later it's still flying...

540tbits.jpg

edge540-repair2.jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 11/06/2017 08:15:48

Great result Paul!

The Challenger is now complete and ready for hand over. It was a lot of work but I learnt some issues regarding modern ready made planes and found out today from Mick Charles models that the covering used on all Seagull planes is Profilm which I have used for the first time. As you can see in the pictures I did manage to retain the star and stripe but I cannot imagine how long they will stay adhered?

Now where was I on my old Junior 60?

I will let you know how the Challenger performs.

p6120035.jpg

p6120036.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/06/2017 15:35:13

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/06/2017 15:36:00

Posted by Dave Bran on 19/06/2017 07:01:31:

NICE!!!!!! Upright engine, decent spread U/C, perfect hack.or it would be if the surfaces were bigger............wink

I don't think so. IT is very close to my own designs with plenty ofwing area. In factit looked sogood that while I was trying to find inspiration I even tried for a kit review of the model.

I didn't get one and did find inspiration for my own design.

• 2 weeks later...