What is known about Coverite covering.

Erfolg

I am considering using two rolls of Coverite Material on a model I am building. I have been lead to believe that it is also know as "Black Baron" although no such markings are on the rolls i have.

I am asking such basic questions such as:-

• Is it a heat shrink material
  • Does it need an adhesive to attach it to the airframe.
  • Does it need or benefit from doping or filling before being painted upon.

Unfortunately, without opening the rolls, i have no idea, what to do, or even if there are instructions enclosed.

Advert

Even at its lowest application temperature, pliable, polypropylene Black Baron will mold itself around compound curves and into corners for smooth, glossy, bubble- and crease-free finishes.

Low (150-235° F; 66-113°C) application temperatures make it great for foam as well as balsa, ply and fiberglass.

Roll Width:27 in (69 cm)

CoverLite logo
CoverLite Tissue CoveringA great new covering for Park Flyers.

Factory "doped" with a totally fuelproof resin, CoverLite Iron-On Tissue Covering is super lightweight as well as stronger and more puncture-resistant than normal doped tissue.

Weighing only 0.89 ounces per square yard (28 g/m², it's an excellent choice for covering weight-sensitive models such as Park Flyers.

CoverLite, which is heat-sealed to the model, is stronger and more puncture-resistant than normal doped tissue, and can be painted with most model paints.

Each sheet measures 36" x 19.5" (915 mm x 495 mm) - great for models up to 50"; Balsarite fabric formula adhesive is required for application Li'l Poke

I am getting the impression that the covering is both iron on and heat shrinking.

It looks like a fabric, does it need any treatment to seal the surface, that is impermeable.

Can you just paint on it.

I took the hint and found the web site, it is absolutely pants.sad

If I remember rightly, you need to use a heat activated adhesive on the airframe - Balsaloc or similar - then iron on the covering and heat shrink before finishing with dope, paint etc.. I had some in a Coverite Peashooter kit some decades ago for which I substituted Solartex. The Peashooter was a lovely model to fly but it bore little resemblance to the Boeing aircraft of the same nameface 1

I think the problem was that heat shrinking didn't really taughten the Coverite enough, hence the need for a coat of dope to make a decent job of it. That and the need to use a separate adhesive just made Solartex easier, quicker and cleaner.

Hi Bob

In the case of the Coverite Gee Bee model "D" it does seem to be quite accurate. To the extent that some of the drawings purporting to be scale, are inaccurate. Then again the drawing apparently is by Henry Haffke. It is strange to my mind that some always assume engineers love curves, where in fact most practical engineers like straight lines, particularly with aircraft where curves not only make manufacture difficult. Perhaps just as importantly, undercuts make a mess of the fluid dynamics, requiring fairings to eradicate the effects of undercuts.

I find it difficult to believe even those on a mission, can achieve a build in 10 hours. Then again I use mainly PVA, rather than balsa cement, or more likely Cyno.

I will try to use the Coverite, because it is part of the kit. Also I I have never been impressed with Solartex. Mainly because it was used on a glider i obtained, found it held dirt, also was porous. The model performing much better with Solarfilm. Of course I could find out that Coverite is just as poor as Solartex. What is particularly disturbing is the lack of info on using Coverite. That is particularly after being informed it is widely used in the USA and is be Bees Knees.

Bob

Could the P26 been a Sterling Kit?

I could not find any Coverite P26, they just seemed to have done a few early Gee Bees. Then they either bought, or were bought by "Great Planes".

I have just built a Sterling PT19, I did enjoy building it, although, a bit KK ish. Coverite seem to be, or should that be were a USA Graupner. Although the instructions, well, they seem to be on the brief side.

Hello Erflog. I think that coverite is basically a American version of Solarfilm's products. They suggest the use of Balsarite as an adhesive for the covering. We in the UK know this as Clearcoat. I believe that Balsarite has been banned in some US states as it contains carcinogens . That aside Clearcoat is a heat sensitive resin that is an excellent fuel proofer and adhesive for film coverings like Solarfilm's lightspan . It's totally fuel proof and holds covering firmly in place far better than Balsaloc. It's also excellent for sealing covering around engine bays and prevents fuel from creeping under covering. The downside is the smell if used in the house SWMBO will go nuts !

I have used lightspan which sounds very much like the covering you have to cover many models over the years especially vintage or diesel powered models. It's a synthetic tissue that's already fuel proofed, is heat shrinkable and gives a really tough tissue like finish. If interested pm me and I'll go through my preferred application using Clearcoat .

Bob

It is apparent that the Coverite Pea Shooter, is a name for a sports model, rather than a scale model.

I have been looking for links to Coverite Gee Bee Model D. You seem much better at finding links than me.

With respect to the Coverite Gee Bee, it seems pretty accurate, or at least accurate enough to keep me happy.

I have seen drawings of the Gee Bee Model D, by others than Henry Haffke, which indicate a external manifold, below the aircraft, also with lots of curves. As far as I can tell using Mendenhall, primarily, plus a few other book sources, plus Google images, some plans are a flight of fancy.

Apparently Sterling did a P26 Peashooter, that does at least look like a P26.

Bob, have you fond any other references to Coverite kits, what the full range was?

You have also found a model "E" which is more than I have acheived.

Even the rare Coverite Model "D" has only 3 offers on it, and the max is a paltry $89 dollars.

Perhaps bazaarly I also have a early "Great Planes" kit of a Ryan STA, from memory £30 approx from Graves in Orlando USA, whilst on holiday in Mexico, a compulsory stop over which meant we also stayed at Disney Land Animal Kingdom.

It could be that Great Planes meant better sense, particularly as the Coverite kit seems almost the best quality I have ever had, possibly Graupner has the edge in the build documentation, although at a hefty purchase price.

Could it be that Coverite only ever produced 3 kit models?