65% pitts challenger has flown

Advert

It was flown at a private site, with no public present and away from the pits. Robbie has built one of these before which flew well a he's got a fair idea of what he's doing. It's not how everyone would do their first circuit but if its safe and he chooses to, then why not.

Edited By ChrisB on 07/05/2017 23:19:13

Chris, private site or not that wasn't safe. Clearly there will be those who are awed watching a model like that being thrown about and then there are those like me who think it was a stupid thing to do. Models that size need treating with respect and used to give an example of best practice if you're going to put stuff on a public forum.

Matt, I certainly wouldn't fly a new model like that but that's my choice. I've known Robbie on and off for over 10 years and have spoken to him at length about his aircraft. If he isnt sure about
something he won't do it. Perhaps Robbie will set the record straight...that's if he needs to of course.

The LMA and BMFA with permission of Dazza Joseph could use it as a training video of not what to do with ground handling and with a maiden flight on a unproven model on it's first test flight. By watching the video we can I learn from it. I'm glad it went all well other than the pilots finger on start up?

Thanks Chris, not sure there's a record that needs setting straight, this is just one of those difference of opinion things. You can be sure that everyone from Cessna to Boeing will undertake every maiden flight with a structured approach to ensure that it's fit for purpose regardless of how many times that variant has flown before, models this size should be no different. What would have happened if there was a significant but invisible defect in a piece of wood at a critical load bearing point?

Ha ha... how strange that i am always right with my thoughts.
.i have posted this video on several forums and everyone has congratulated me, but i knew there would be lots of negatative responces on here.

Lets get one thing 100% clear. If i was not happy with a model after take off or thought that it was unsafe to do something, it wouldnt be done. The fact that i took off a rolled then continued to do a full aerobatic work out is something i like to do on all test flights.. ( actually that was extremely mild for me.. check the 55% pitts challenger video).

Most people who critisize on here are the people who would normally take 6 to 10 flights to get 'used to a model', in other words they are scared of it.. i look at a model differently... and i trust my designs and trust the builds...

I have been flying large biplanes for 6 years now...i think i have a good idea on what they do or how they should fly conaidering im the designer

Posted by Robbie Skipton - Skip Model Designs on 08/05/2017 07:54:32:
Lets get one thing 100% clear. If i was not happy with a model after take off or thought that it was unsafe to do something, it wouldnt be done.

And you can make that assessment in the three seconds from wheels up to initiating the manoeuvre? What is with the trend these days of pilots of large models putting showboating ahead of safety? Ego?

Robbie Skipton: You really need to take criticism 'a critic' of what we have seen on the video as valuable feedback. When others spot things it's worth taking time to think do I, you or others need to change how we do things like flying models safely.

Yes the flight of your model was nice and exciting. But in the context of a 'maiden flight' it wasn't a good example of how it should have been done. The words in bold should be seen and used as a safe guard to how I, you and others should do it in future.

Take time to think, of all the fun you have flying and the business you enjoy in producing and selling these models so it can continue for a long time to come. Best regards to you as are the words use when considered this reply.

As for wood defects . I cut all my models and i am extremely selective on woods.... are you telling me you strip ALL the covering off an artf to check ALL joints....? Can you garantee that all woods are perfect in an artf model?...or do you assume it is?

Edited By Robbie Skipton - Skip Model Designs on 08/05/2017 08:26:14

Can someone tell me specifically what was unsafe?

Departure into wind with a roll away from the flight line cross wind, all flying away from the flight line at a good height

If anything was to go wrong the aircraft would be heading away from the flight line.

If the pilot choses to roll/fly inverted/knife edge then these should all be within the envelope of this type of aircraft whether the choice is on the first flight or 10th it should be proven prior to a public venue.

Yes, thanks for sharing Robbie and the best of luck.. guys, we all like to see new entries on this forum, from the likes of Robbie and Dom.. and sometimes I wonder why they bother sharing, with some of the feedback they get..

It is tricky as forums are for opinions, but we need something to have opinions about, and contributors simply wont bother if they get bashed..

I , like Robbie, know instantly when a model leaves the ground if its going to be any good and considering Robbie designed and built this model and its predecessor its highly likely this model would have been the same. You carry on Robbie...good show!

Posted by extra slim on 08/05/2017 10:04:13:

and sometimes I wonder why they bother sharing, with some of the feedback they get..

It is tricky as forums are for opinions, but we need something to have opinions about, and contributors simply wont bother if they get bashed..

Exactly, this is an excellent summary.

To be honest, to me it's not so much the fact of the criticism - of course we should all question safety if we have genuine concerns - it's the rude and abrasive nature of the criticism that tends to make threads disintegrate into slanging matches! Quite often it may be unintentional, but without the softening emotions of the human face, words can be raw!

As for me, well done Robbie!