What a Joke!!

Seems to be the way things are going. By all accounts Greenacres is heading in that direction, jets, sponsored teams, flying slots - where is the relaxed club flying going to end up? We cant all afford jets and whopping big 3D petrol jobs! Heres hoping Weston has all the usual mix and bonhomie although I shall miss Mr Bishops commentary!

Advert

Posted by Geoff Jackson on 03/06/2017 23:37:42:

Heres hoping Weston has all the usual mix and bonhomie although I shall miss Mr Bishops commentary!

Is DB not going to be there? He was at Old Warden for the 1st ModelAir day this year and he seemed to be back to his old self (I promise I won't mention the caravan incident - Oh damn, I just did!)

Posted by ChrisB on 04/06/2017 07:18:15:
I was hoping to go to Greenacres. I might not bother.

Likewise. I have only been on one occasion but I loved the informality of the whole thing and the idea of just being able to put together a 'slot' by finding all the warbird pilots and saying 'shall we all go up together?'. I had a great time with that format and it will be a shame if that has gone.

As for LM, if all you get is stuff that is unattainable and very much the same as the previous act then I can understand the annoyance and I wouldn't be that interested in it myself.

However, there is a fine balance to be found when organising shows as no one will pay good money to watch an acrowot fly about. They could just go to their local field and watch a club mate, or just get their own one out of the shed and have a go with that.

Model size is another issue as 60 inch jobs aren't easy for the crowd to see when the required flight lines are in place at a public event. This does mean there is a lean towards larger models on all fronts but I do agree that wall to wall monster models aren't the way to go.

I would argue that a 50/50 split of club level and monster models is needed with the top end of club level being somewhere around a 30-50cc warbird or aerobatic model. The monster stuff that is totally out of reach of most still has a place because some guys are able to support models like that and they should be on show for others to see and perhaps aspire towards.

Hi Jon, I've got no issues with the size or value of model and I'm not saying that club models and foamie types should have been at LM but just that there were no WW1, WwII, no helicopters, no large scale fighters or scale aerobatic, they were mostly the 3D models and jets with the exception of one warbird and the funfighter team. A noticeable lack of independent show models of varying types. LM was vearing towards Weston and could easily have been as packed with models but either pilots have abandoned it, which I find hard to believe or the organisers just wanted their mates. In the early days youd get a heli slot a foamie slot with Mike Brewer et.al. there would be a biplane slot, usually the dawn patrol, a warbird slot, scale aerobatics, 3d, jets, gliders, panic biplane etc etc. The slots repeated themselves after about an hour, a proper show would take a lot longer for slots to repeat.

Edited By ChrisB on 04/06/2017 08:25:43

Edited By ChrisB on 04/06/2017 08:26:51

Problem was, bought off the shelf artf jets are dull and all look the same what was needed was more scratch built scale jets,warbirds and helicopters they are more impressive the EE lightning being an example. There was just no variety yesterday to hold your interest, at least Weston Park has a bit of everything.

Yep the Lightning and Hawk were good, as was the Ex Steve Holland (LMA) AeroKot, minus a pilot but that was it!

The 'organiser' was John Holliday, with Azza Stephens (of Horizon Hobby fame) doing the flight scheduling.  

Whats also interesting is that most modellers are over 50 and don't appreciate commentary such as "look at that bad boy" and we're hangin wiv da crew", "giv it up for..."

Its fine for a heli fest or drone fest etc which generally appeals to younger people, but the traditional aeromodeller who goes to a mixed, general show like Weston, or the good old Long Marston or Wings and Wheels, wants to here good and informed commentary about the aircraft, the specs of the aircraft and the pilot, with, in places, some backgound music.  

Edited By ChrisB on 04/06/2017 11:30:37

Edited By ChrisB on 04/06/2017 11:31:05

Edited By ChrisB on 04/06/2017 11:49:28

Shocking event, barely any trade stands and possibly the most boring flying show I've seen in 40 years of shows.

John Holliday should hang his head in shame.

Take a look at the traders list on the website.

**LINK**

In very small type it says 'The following traders supported us at LM2015 and all are expected to return in 2016."

Many didn't, and most of the rest didn't attend this year.

One trader told me this was the list from 2014.

Most traders told me they had been shafted and won't be back again.

If I was a trader I'd report Holliday for selling me a pup.

John Holliday doesn't care as that was the last LM show. However, I hope he's not planning to relocate to a different site, because he won't make any profit from it, as no-one will go!!

Did you go their this morning Guvnor? I bet it was even quieter than yesterday?

Not a committed show attender but took the missus and a couple of friends for a look see. Thought there was a swap-meet there, it was mentioned on the web site but nothing........... Bought some fuel from Model Technics, watched for an hour and left. expensive in fuel to get there and expensive to get in, not good value I'm afraid. Is Weston Park any better?haven't been there for years regarding numbers of traders and even a swap meet....... do like to ferret.

Hi.

Just want to jump in and stick up for Greenacres here as have noted a negative post or two.

Greenacres shows are fly ins.

There are no pre-booked slots so anyone can turn up and fly any plane they like.

The weather for the last couple of shows has featured quite strong winds that put off a lot of the everyday club flyers leaving the slightly braver or even more competent show flyers to keep aircraft in the sky. If this was mainly 3d and jets then that was purely coincidental.

Its up to pilots to bring the different types of plane as I know they will be welcomed and certainly not prevented or discouraged from flying.

Jez

The times they are a changing !

years ago these shows were for The Hobby , the like of us on this forum ,but now there are far too few of us about to make the old type shows , Cranfield, leicester,Sywell etc commercially viable .So I recon they are now aimed more and more at the general public ,cos there are a lot more of them than us aero modllers ! Hence the "club" based show is much more "our sort of thing "

I have always been the Weston and normally Cosford , Weston is changing a bit but still is my favourite ,I shall be there and no doubt bump into Chris B. !I would like to go to Greenacres but I was told it was a bit "cliquey " and my style of flying may not fit in !

cheers

Posted by Geoff Jackson on 03/06/2017 23:37:42:

Seems to be the way things are going. By all accounts Greenacres is heading in that direction, jets, sponsored teams, flying slots - where is the relaxed club flying going to end up? We cant all afford jets and whopping big 3D petrol jobs! Heres hoping Weston has all the usual mix and bonhomie although I shall miss Mr Bishops commentary!

Geoff,

Yes, no, sort of....

All forms of fixed wing planes have been allowed at the Greenacres Fly Ins and this now seems to attract a lot of jet aircraft. We are a public event, on public land, are jets are a big draw to the public.

Teams are also welcome at Greenacres. Indeed three Greenacres members are in one of the teams that you saw at Long Marston. However teams are not given preferential treatment by the club or our marshalls.

If a solo pilot, a duo or trio, or a team can justify a dedicated flight, that will be considered, but there is no slot "system".

What we hope to do at the next Greenacres event is employ a very simple queuing system. Literally, first come, first served. Make your aircraft ready, join the queue, when you get to the front start / arm your aircraft and fly. Utterly 100% fair... Doesn't matter what it is, jet, trainer, autogyro, 3D, whatever. Worked very well at the Banbury Fly In last weekend.

Hope that helps!

Ah Chris so this is where you are. Not content with peddling your misinformation on Facebook you've come to disrupt the smooth operation of the RCM&E forum.

It is obvious that you have some axe to grind with the organiser. I hope you're not acting in an official manner on behalf of the LMA, your prefferred organisation.

For the benefit of the debate I will add this.

All pilots who booked in got to fly. The shortage of variety is due to the lack of support from pilots.

Were it not for the AZ Aerosports / Team Rogue / Global RC / Prop guy and Cambria Funfighters teams there would have been one or two jets doing solo slots and that is it.

There was no preference given, no special arrangements made, no behind the scenes slot fixing. Pilots who booked in, flew. Cant watch pilots who dont show up can you now. Where were all the LMA guys then? No warbirds other than young Tom Edgecombes and Andy Johnsons Mustang. No Dawn Patrol....nothing. Not even a Piper....

As for the volume - move your chair. the speakers were covering a flightline 500m long.

Andy Ellison

Posted by ChrisB on 04/06/2017 11:27:50:

Whats also interesting is that most modellers are over 50 and don't appreciate commentary such as "look at that bad boy" and we're hangin wiv da crew", "giv it up for..."

Gotta call you out on that one again Chris. Where you get your info from heaven only knows.

Pilots from Long Marston: Rory Tooley - 12yrs, Tom Edgecome - 14yrs, Luke Oliver 16yrs, Morgan Goule - 17yrs, Tom Lambert - 17yrs, Sam Bates - 17yrs, Dani Ge - 18-yrs, Max Strnger - 19yrs, Liam Clayton - 20yrs - All of the AZ Aerosports team under 30yrs. All of the Global RC team the same...All the propguy team the same...

Perhaps if the LMA hadn't been so restrictive to younger pilots until recently you'd be more at home with the lingo. Thank heavens they've realised they need to change as an organisation and dropped the show age to coincide with their young superstar.......

Andy Ellison

Edited By Slopetrashuk on 05/06/2017 15:31:56

Andy, I know you are a well respected modeller, but as the vast majority (if not all) of the posts here are in complete agreement with Chris re this years LM show, I'm not sure how you could stick up for what was, in my opinion one of the worst model shows I've ever attended.

Steve