1/10 Fokker DVII

Monz

As the heading says, this'll be a DVII, a big one, for next year's Indoor Scale Nationals Open rubber class. Span will be 34" with the top wing having a chord of 6". I'm aiming for 150g without rubber or prop, so probably close to 185 - 190g flying. The weight limit is 200g so I'll have to careful as I go.

I'm using the three views and construction drawings from the Windsock Datafile Anthology #2 to build from (the actual DVII datafile is only available for £60, bit too heavy for my pocket) and it will be of a full size replica of Rudolph Starck's 'Li' of Jaste 35b which is in the National Museum of the USAF, there are some pretty good pictures of that aeroplane for me to work from.

I made a start with one fuselage side. The next one was built over that. This is all 3/32" balsa with a few bamboo skewers to simulate the round tube visible in the cockpit area.

Advert

paint jars lined up, bottles organised tallest on the right, shortest on the left. IT'S TOO TIDY! teeth 2

Lovely work Monz, what have you used for the curved inserts in the cockpit corners? It looks like plastic rod and the curved coaming frame looks like wire, is that right? Nice use of different materials.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 11/06/2017 10:24:28:

paint jars lined up, bottles organised tallest on the right, shortest on the left. IT'S TOO TIDY! teeth 2

Lovely work Monz, what have you used for the curved inserts in the cockpit corners? It looks like plastic rod and the curved coaming frame looks like wire, is that right? Nice use of different materials.

You should've seen it before I tidied up...

The cockpit corners are ear bud shafts, nice and light and bendable and the 'wire' is aluminium tube.

It's only recently that it has sunk in with me just how light 180/190 gms is. 6.5 ozs or so with a wing area of about 2.7 sq.ft? It will certainly be a slow flyer. Another brilliant piece of work Monz. May I ask how you work out the propeller and rubber motor requirements? When I look at things like this I am just guessing in the dark.

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 11/06/2017 13:58:28:

It's only recently that it has sunk in with me just how light 180/190 gms is. 6.5 ozs or so with a wing area of about 2.7 sq.ft? It will certainly be a slow flyer. Another brilliant piece of work Monz. May I ask how you work out the propeller and rubber motor requirements? When I look at things like this I am just guessing in the dark.

Colin, prop size is normally about a third of the wingspan. I usually thumbsuck how much rubber is needed and add or reduce when trimming.

Started the cockpit floor and control column assembly.

Just had a thought me duck. Laminate and carve your own props from balsa. Stain each layer a different colour for effect .Water colour paint does the job without weight penalty and a balsa prop is very much lighter than plastics. Scale effect will be more enhanced too. John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, so photobucket decided they want me to pay $399 a year to be able to embed images hosted by them, that's why the pics above are gone. I'll upload to the new host and re-embed.

Till then, I've been doing some more detailing work, getting there slowly..

[img width=500 height=374][/img]

Edited By Monz on 06/07/2017 20:36:05

• 3 weeks later...