Sacriledge

Stevo

Advert

Yes just stumbled across that. Was sidetracked a fair bit by looking at the late Suzannah York though. Was looking for scale information for my Stuka build.

Not a lot is documented about those models, other than having condoms full of petrol that were detonated for effect.

Any guesses as to what radio systems and engines would have been usd in 1968? I was only 8 at the time though..

Not all were destroyed - some were or might still be hanging up from the ceiling at Mick Char;es Models in London. They flew the models in the film - the ones above were probably the crashed models or static shots, as several were made for just one scene.

Thanks 😊

Bet he would have a tale to tell. Ill dig out Rudhall's book from the loft and read it again methinks. Ill gladly drive to Ewell if there was a genuine BoB film model on the ceiling!

Edited By Stevo on 01/07/2017 22:25:52

Geoff Franklin had a few remains hanging in his shop in Leicester , , He was part of the "pilots " and as THE KRAFT dealer I guess that it was used in the models , It was Kraft in the burnt out bits he had , He told me they did not know when the planes were going to explode , that bit was done by the guy who thought it would look good at that precise moment , Like one second you were flying a plane , the next you wer'nt !!

I worked next door so lunch times were spent listening to his tales ,

He once told me that at his stage of life he did not crash planes any more ,I did not believe him then but with 50 years more experience I do now !!

cheers

We were studying WW2 for History "O" level and went to see the BoB at the local cinema one afternoon instead of lessons! Susannah York in a state of partial undress made a lasting impression on at least one of the 30ish 15 year old boys in those pre-internet days...

I remember there was an article in the (I think) 1968 Aeromodeller Annual detailing the expanding foam method that the Stuka undercarriages were made by.

The models all used Kraft radio, supplied by Geoff Franklin, I believe.

Many years ago, I was approached at a demo the Watford Wayfarers were giving, asked if anyone in the club would like a "large model". Only one of our members was into big models at the time, and he duly went down to have a look and returned with the Messerschmitt 110 - complete with two Super-Tigre 71s, but no radio!

He refurbished it, put radio in it and the late, great Dave Nieman test flew it at Radlett. I've got some 8mm film of the event somewhere (this was long before personal video!). I may even have a still of it somewhere....

The flight seemed to go OK, but after landing, Dave revealed he'd been holding nearly full down elevator in throughout the flight!

I think John re-set the tail-plane incidence after that, but I've no idea if it ever flew again......

--

Pete

the film BOB was booed when it was shown in berlin...wonder why..

as an aside one one my friends father was a WW2 Halifax pilot who got shot down and put in the famous Stalag 5? prisoner of war camp and cooked on one of the stoves above the tunnel's...luckily his name didn't come out to escape.the survivors were invited to the premier showing of the film " the great escape" and afterwards all agreed what a load of rubbish it was etc.......

ken Anderson ne...1.movies dept.

Stevo, Mick Charles Models in Ewell is my LMS. He has some fine models hanging up including a handsome Spitfire. However, as far as I am aware there are no B of B film examples there.

Good luck with your build, I'm watching with interest.

Trevor

Edited By Trevor Rushton on 02/07/2017 10:36:31

Edited By Trevor Rushton on 02/07/2017 10:36:52

Posted by Martin Harris on 01/07/2017 22:55:33:

I remember there was an article in the (I think) 1968 Aeromodeller Annual detailing the expanding foam method that the Stuka undercarriages were made by.

On doing a little searching, it appears it was not just the undercarriages that were foam based - these are the pictures I remembered:

stuka.jpg

stuka2.jpg

There is a large Junkers 87 which has been hanging in the 'Casque & Gauntlet' militaria shop in Badshot Lea,  between Farnham & Aldershot, for as long as I can remember (I'm pretty sure it was there in the 1970s). It could well be a BoB model. You can see it here in the Google Maps photo:

**LINK**

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 08/07/2017 00:28:23

• 1 year later...