Dunkirk

Stevo

Over hyped I thought. The filming was spectacular but the film did not convey the immense scale of the evacuation. However, how could it when we have no ships or aircraft to include in the action. That being the case why make the film?

The sudden appearance of the three spits breaking into the scene for the first time was very emotional.

I feel that the 1958 version was closer to the actual event.

We saw it yesterday at the local cinema.

Mixed feelings; yes, it was spectacular. And very noisy.

But the triple plot lines all seemed to move at different speeds (eg, the little fishing boat seemed to make it back across the Channel to Dorset in about 2 minutes, whereas the Heinkel 111 took forever to line up for its run on the minesweeper).

Oh, and please don't ask me about the never-ending glide of the Spitfire!

On the other hand, we took my 91 year old Father-in-law with us to see it. He was 14 when the real thing happened, and he found film very moving indeed.

In short; it was OK, but not a film to watch again.

Tim

On the theme of Dunkirk an excellent book has just been published called Dunkirk Air Combat Archive - Operation Dynamo 21 May to 2 June by Simon Parry and Mark Postlethwaite. It is a collation of actual combat reports and statistical information from a number of squadrons. The photos, many from German sources are truly evocative of the air battle. A moving and salutary read.

Ha ha! I try and avoid the cinema if at all possible. I always seem to get the woman with six kids and a large shopping bag full of sweets come and sit right behind me. Rattle rattle, munch munch, slurp slurp! drives me insane!!! angrylaugh

[Edited for inappropriate language]

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 07/08/2017 16:03:31

Yup. Me too.Maybe there are some original news-reels around that will show the enormity of Operation Dynamo.

I was a kid at the time but I remember what was said by some of my family who were there and involved with the operation.

This film was more like a novel.

I have read that a new film of the Battle of Britain is likely to be made. God help us!

I really liked the movie even if you could driver a bus through some of the facts. The aerial work was really good and there are some fantastic shots taken from the airfield they used down south.

**LINK**

I love the He111 model ~ does anyone know who built and flew it?

Stumps

Decided to go to see 'Dunkirk' last night and was mightily disappointed. I'm afraid that  for me, it ranks as one of the worst fiilms that I've had the misfortune to view - I'm trying to think of something, anything, to say that is positive about it. No story as such, no exploration of the characters, clunky dialogue, ludicrously intrusive music and surround sound that made every bullet sound like a 15" naval shell............ I could go on.

Someone mentioned 'spectacular flying sequences' - sorry, but we must have been watching totally different films because I didn't pick up on those.

The only up-side is we had Meerkat Movies 2 for 1 so it only cost £12-50 for me and the wife to see it rather that £25. Should have gone in to see 'Spider Man'...............Others may well disagree and if you enjoyed it then that's great - one man's meat etc.

Edited By Cuban8 on 03/08/2017 11:15:13

I totally agree with you Cuban8. From the pristine town, that 400,000 men had apparently just retreated through, to the uncluttered beach, supposedly holding said 400,000 troops, to the armada of small craft, made up of half a dozen or so boats, to the three Spitfires repeatedly shooting down the same aircraft, it was an unmitigated disaster.

The Director could have used CGI to show the enormity of situation facing the country and he could have told any number of the heroic stories that emerged from those dark days. Instead he elected to film a few people on a beach and tell the story of a couple of 'heroes' trying to jump the queue.

Posted by G-JIMG on 27/07/2017 09:18:58:

Someone please explain how a gliding Spitfire fires a burst from the machine guns but the recoil doesn't instantly stall the aircraft!

Interesting question. I've only just spotted it!

Eight Browning .303 machine guns fire about 20 rounds per second. Since each bullet weighed about 11 grams, that is an ejected mass of about 1.8 kg every second. The velocity is about 740 m/s.

That gives a momentum (mass x velocity) change of about 1300 kgm/s for every second of firing. Since force is equal to rate of change of momentum, that is a force of 1300 N.

Since an unladen Mk 1a weighs about 1950 kg, it follows that the force generates an acceleration of approximately 0.7 metres per second squared. That is a speed loss of about 1.5 mph for each second of firing.

Does this answer your question?