Southern Model Air Show at headcorn

Advert

For those of us who have mislaid their Tardis;

This is the link for the 2017 event and the 2017 traders list can be found here.

[EDIT] OK,  it seems the traders "list" is not actually a traders list but an application form for traders to apply to exhibit!  Maybe they'll put a list up nearer the time...

Meanwhile there is a list (as somebody mentioned earlier) on facebook.  Shame it's not on their website - or even a link to the facebook page from the website - as other than seeing it mentioned here most visitors to the website wouldn't think that there'd be a facebook page with more details on it!.

Edited By John Privett on 27/08/2017 10:49:11

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd report in.

No TJD, SLEC, BMFA, however traders were busy. Balsa Cabin especially so, where I procured wood for the Stuka.

Flying was a bit thin on the ground, with few aircraft, with the same slots being repeated. Walkig round the place it was obvious that more traders were booked but didn't show. The bring and buy was really quite minimal, compared, say to Wings 'n' Wheels.

Every year I go the Inwoods stand gets smaller... and smaller... and smaller...

The commentator I'm afraid was poor. Some chap wandering around with a mic... I think his knowledge was OK, but couldn't hear him most of the time from several points up and down the flightline. Didn't inspire much a passion in it all, indeed he was somewhat soperific.

Such a shame as the end of year show is always a bit lacklustre.

Have to agree with Stevo. Rubbish commentator mumbling on the Mike with very little info on hat was going onand long quiet spells . Reincarnate Dave Bishop someone please ; not everyone liked him but he gave a decent commentary and I continuous chatter .Trade attendance was poor compared to last events. Same old same old flying display , not knocking the models or pilots but it's the same crews with no variety of new models displayed .What ever happened to displaying models that are on sale ? What happened to the have a go slot that youngsters used to love ? And at £12 a head for sensor it makes stocking up on gear an expensive task.

I wouldn't say I was quids in; £15 to get in and I saved £22 on a model reserved and taken there for me by Inwoods. Yes Phil, DB wasn't my cup of tea, but in that he brought a prescence to it all and his gaffes were legendary !

Remember the Toffee bomber? Sessions with youngsters and a trainer at lunchtime? (Surely much easier with electric).

It seems that us southerners lack a decent show all year, and when one comes it's quite poor.

Seems once the pilots went over the fence to the flight line they became the elite untouchables.. There were more models on display but never flew (TJD Stuka) alas. I don't wish to be negative; much respect to the pilots and groundcrew.

Even the food was the same old... Next time, take sandwiches. Not a decent cup of coffee to be had - however there was one small van offering coffee and cakes.. they were doing really well.

So, where is it all going wrong? Are we expecting to much? After a 2 year lay off due to back problems and anxiety, I managed to return to the hobby, seeing it generally in decline. Of course we can wax lyrical about the "Good old days" i.e. when Inwoods was THE place to go, with numerous show specials and end of season bargains. It's now reduced to a trailer stacked with ARTFs and a bench full of batteries... (Still an awesome online shop).

Even looking at the fun fair behind it - again this was almost empty all the time.

Oh, what to do.

Oh how i wanted to go....but the weather and the 2 hr plus trip put me off, i know thats not a lot of travelling time,but only got back from a short break last weekend and that two hour trip turned into 4 and a half.

Anyway i stayed in the shed and continued building the long list of "must finish this er's"

dp

Well, I saw the Stuka fly and enjoyed the day.

Apart from the Semi circle of food stands there are also 2 eating places on site, one a pub and the other a cafe.

Agreed there were a limited number of traders, a disappointment, but I still said goodbye to a lot of cash. I would be disappointed if I hadn't gone.

S

I reckon that the Headcorn show is in the wrong place and if it doesn't have loads of trade stands it won't attract large numbers of modellers. Having to go through the expensive bottleneck of the Dartford Crossing with it's ludicrous method of payment ( you cannot pay by cash but only by phone or online) cuts down the number of visitors from Essex Herts Suffolk etc unless there is a very worthwhile trade show. And to me without SLEC and a lot of others it isn't worthwhile. A show as good as those those previously held at Sandown, the Hop Farm or Plumpton would certainly have most of my club attending but why give up a days flying at the club to attend a poor show?

The answer surely is to pick a more central venue and have more traders - free space to genuine model traders perhaps?

Edited By kc on 09/09/2017 18:36:01

Stuart Z - I'm JEALOUS. I shall never talk to you again

Dave Parnham - I was at the Balsa Cabin stand getting Balsa and there was a guy next to me who I thought was you.. Lucky I didn't say hello. My luck could have been in...

Braddock, VC - I thought you were going to pickup some stuff from the ever-shrinking Inwood stall? And, of course Happy Birthday cocktail

One of the reasons to go was to collect a model that TJD managed to screw right up (see other thread), saved on that.

Keith - yes you have a point about a central venue, I shall make ammends next year and visit some 'oop norf'. Do I need a passport? Oxygen?

Stevo, I realise you 'Sarf London' people have the same problem going through Dartford crossing when visiting North Weald etc! We used to say civilisation ends at Watford but now it's fair to say the further you get from London the more civilised it is! You don't need a passport - yet...........but I fear we English may need one in future if venturing further north than Berwick on Tweed! Oxygen is only needed due to those diesel vehicles

I have said before that forum members should have some discrete badge so that we recognise each other at shows.......

The internet killed shows. Shops are already competing to be the cheapest, thinking people will only buy from them if they are the lowest price.

The days of doing well at a show died with the internet, shows were a time to increase business, so deals could be done, you had a bigger audience to sell to, now the world is your audience!

It costs a fortune to attend a show, so when I'm asked what the 'show' price is and I reply higher than buying from me in the shop they look confused...its simple business! Unfortunately the hobby is full of people running an extension to their hobby...pretending its a business.

Free shipping from shops is all profit gone...when the margins are already small. Offering free shipping when a shop does not do shows kinda makes sense to me, you are offsetting the cost of going to a show with the shipping. A business that offers free shipping and does all the shows...stupid! Why would you pay £12 to get in(plus fuel) when you can sit in your arm chair and have it land on your lap for free!

Doing shows in a big way makes no sense, leading up to most show weekends the phone rings less, since the few people looking to buy will hang on hoping for a bargain, so business is poor before and after a show weekend. This means the money you take over a show weekend is not 2 or 3 days takings, its the day before and day after getting things straight again-and a few days before and after of poor sales. So work out your weeks turnover and the huge effort and its not worth doing. Yes, a few business with manufacturing will have decent margins and it might work, but the already cheap outlets like the crazy fool Dave at Inwoods, it does not work.

Then there is the boot sales that shows organise...we pay 150-500 quid for a pitch to fund the show, then they invite people to come and trade among themselves...In the old days before the market was rammed with product, people came to sell 'junk' and put this money towards a new purchase, now they sell something probably worthwhile, that they bought-not really wanting cause it was a bargain and buy something else in the boot sale and the trade does not see any of the money. (yes there are exceptions to all the above-but its all too common what i'm saying)

The hobby dies with 'us', the younger 'instant gratification types' are never going to join a 'club' and anyway model shops don't exist to draw people into the hobby when they wonder past bored, with an interest in practical hobbies or aviation. People offer to pay me to screw together an FMS foamie!! because they 1/ can't be bothered-2/ they are busy on face book or alike and just want to fly it. They won't fix it if it gets damaged, so it goes in the back of the garage and eventually looking at the pile they realise they have wasted a fortune on foamies...and they then leave the hobby, since they also missed out on the rewards you get from crafting and fixing something that flies.

DW