Multiple servo quick connector

Tony Kenny

Hello!

Each time I put my wings on my glider I have to fiddle with 4 servo leads and invariably leave a cable hanging out.

I'm told there is a type of quick connector which I can mount on the underside of the wing and in the fuz so the servos just connect as I screw the wings into place. But, I've searched several sites and cannot find anything.

Does anybody know what it's called and maybe even who stocks them?

Thanks in advance!

Tony

Advert

The MPX plugs do indeed work well for this but, whichever connector you use, it is a good idea to mount the connector in such a way that it is not subject to mechanical strain if (when!) the wing shifts slightly on its seat. For me, this usually means attaching the socket to a small ply plate which is then sandwiched between two other pieces of ply so that the socket can move a millimeter or two laterally.

The other option is the halfway house, i.e. mount one half of the connector to the wing but leave the other half free. You will only have one connection to make instead of four but you will still have a wire to tuck away as you fit the wing.

Edited By Trevor on 14/09/2017 09:14:25

wow, thanks for all the responses. I'll try to answer as many points as I can.

My aim is to have a single quick easy connection, whether that be fixed to the airfram or lose.

A D-connector would be too bulky for the space I've got and are quite a tight fit which will require direct alignment, this would be hard to do without being able to see through the wing and being such a tight fit it might not cope well with the movement and stresses at the base of the wings.

I'm looking for something a bit more "blade" like that can approach at an angle and then sit straight once connected and have a little wiggle room for movement in the airframe.

I'm also very tempted to use the solution I find on my Dynam Smart which is a real git when the servo cables fall into the fuz and I have to fiddle like mad trying to thread them back through, but again, these would be right at the base of the wing, which I believe is where the airframe endures it's highest stresses.

Will be interesting to see what comes up. So far I like the links that Frank has given! Thank you!

An easier way is simply to buy larger housings for the plugs and sockets, a normal servo uses a 3 way DuPont housing, but they can be obtained in up to 12 way. A kit on Banggood costs under £5 and provides a whole range of housings and crimps. (If you google dupont kit on ebay the same kit can be found).  For most of the connections simply remove from the 3 pin housing and put into the 12 pin housing. However, I would suggest doubling up on one of the positive or negative leads so that you leave a spare pin. On the socket side simply blank off one pin with a dab of epoxy, and leave the corresponding male pin out. This will ensure the plug cannot be connected wrong way round. Such a plug will be far more secure with 11 pins holding it together not just 3.

**LINK**

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1MI.fPpXXXXaoXFXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg_220x220.jpg

Edited By Andy48 on 14/09/2017 12:03:12

I use crimp housings similar to the ones in Andy48's picture in the post above this. I get them and the crimp pins that go in them from RS Components, and they're available in almost any 1-row and 2-row sizes.

For the pins that they plug into I solder the appropriate number of computer header pins (also from RS Components) onto a printed circuit board (you could use Vero board), solder on the leads, and attach it to the fuselage with double-sided tape. I paint one side of the housings bright yellow so that I can easily see that they're right way round when plugged in.

I'm not sure that sliding the pins out of a standard servo plug and then inserting them into one of these multi-way connectors is a good idea, for they may be a slightly different shape and size, so not connect properly with the tangs that are supposed to hold them in place.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 14/09/2017 12:12:56:

I'm not sure that sliding the pins out of a standard servo plug and then inserting them into one of these multi-way connectors is a good idea, for they may be a slightly different shape and size, so not connect properly with the tangs that are supposed to hold them in place.

They are exactly the same.

Posted by Andy48 on 14/09/2017 11:59:47:

An easier way is simply to buy larger housings for the plugs and sockets, a normal servo uses a 3 way DuPont housing, but they can be obtained in up to 12 way. A kit on Banggood costs under £5 and provides a whole range of housings and crimps. (If you google dupont kit on ebay the same kit can be found). For most of the connections simply remove from the 3 pin housing and put into the 12 pin housing. However, I would suggest doubling up on one of the positive or negative leads so that you leave a spare pin. On the socket side simply blank off one pin with a dab of epoxy, and leave the corresponding male pin out. This will ensure the plug cannot be connected wrong way round. Such a plug will be far more secure with 11 pins holding it together not just 3.

**LINK**

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1MI.fPpXXXXaoXFXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg_220x220.jpg

Edited By Andy48 on 14/09/2017 12:03:12

I bought a load of Ashlok connectors from Ash when he closed his business and use them a lot but I'm running out. These look like they'll be a useful substitute even if they're not quite so secure. I've a lot of time for Banggood. They have a great range of products, very quick delivery, and are responsive to problems. They also have very competitive pricing.

Geoff

Posted by David P Williams on 14/09/2017 20:23:34:

Ashlocks still available from Fighter Aces

I know but they are very expensive, which is fine if you're putting them into a model to the high standards and quality that Phil supplies but for the run-of-the mill models I fly, not so much. But I still have some left to keep me going for a while.

They're called Ashlocks because Ash (Jones), who originally sold them, called them that, I think. Presumably they have a more generic name but I have no idea what it might be.

I don't like the Multiplex connectors because they don't have a housing nor any means of stress relief for the connecting wires. That's OK in an application (like my Blizzard) where they built in to the structure. Not so OK when they're hanging on a loose cable loom. I find that surprising because all the other Multiplex radio/electronic stuff is first class.

Geoff

I used the multiplex connectors on my radian pro (contrary to all those who say the original R/E radian is the better model - I don't think so).

When soldering the wires to the connectors, I simply removed the servo plugs plastic housing and soldered the pins into the connectors then insulated with heat shrink.

I left mine floating, not had an issue yet.

FWIW it doesn't need a 100W soldering iron cool.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 14/09/2017 20:59:03

Posted by Andy48 on 14/09/2017 16:31:10:.

They are exactly the same.

I like the idea of the multiple housings, but there is a variation between brands unfortunately, as a random selection from my spares box shows:

pict0599.jpg

I have used the multiplex connectors and emcotec solder pads linked by Frank. You get a good solder connection, strain relief and a good gripping area for separating. The overall package is quite slim as well and while not 'blade'-like, might well give you the wriggle-room you require.

As for losing the ends - I usually tie mine with a bit of kevlar thread, tied or tacked in the fus somewhere. Hook the thread with your pinky to fish them out!

Edited By Mike T on 14/09/2017 21:01:54

Posted by Andy48 on 14/09/2017 21:18:24:

The ones in your photo could be from any era in the past and any make. The Dupont housings I mentioned above are identical to the JR and Futaba servo plug housings except they do not have the chamfered corner of the JR or the small shoulder of the Futaba housing.

That's the point. If you are using Futaba or JR servos then you are good to go. For any other make, it's a lottery and there are many more brands out there than just Futaba or JR...

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 14/09/2017 17:04:54:
Posted by Andy48 on 14/09/2017 11:59:47:

I bought a load of Ashlok connectors from Ash when he closed his business and use them a lot but I'm running out. These look like they'll be a useful substitute even if they're not quite so secure. I've a lot of time for Banggood. They have a great range of products, very quick delivery, and are responsive to problems. They also have very competitive pricing.

Geoff

Geoff, you can buy them direct from Radio Spares, here's one part.

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 14/09/2017 20:41:56:

I don't like the Multiplex connectors because they don't have a housing nor any means of stress relief for the connecting wires.

Geoff - that's what the 'emcotec' connectors (Frank's second link) are for. They are soldered to the pins of the multiplex plug, then you solder your wires to the pad. Strain relief built in. Just cover with shrink to finish:

**LINK**

All the current servo makes use either the JR housings or the Futaba ones.

I haven't a single plane that uses either actual Futaba or JR servos, and I've never had a problem with connections. What about the pins on the receivers you use? They're all standard these days, nothing special just 2.54 pin spacing used in loads of applications.

Edited By Andy48 on 14/09/2017 21:50:04