Multiple servo quick connector

Tony Kenny

One thing to beware of if you're making soldered connections is to ensure that any strain relief measures are made safely beyond the point where solder has flowed up the conductors. I prefer crimped connections in most cases where any movement is possible and NEVER solder unsupported connections such as standard servo connectors - this is asking for a failure some time in the future.

Advert

I installed some Bluebird servos in a DLG a couple of weeks back which didn't match my existing housings, which is why I bothered to point it out.

The pin spacing IS standard, but the pins and their housings are not. The worse case is a pin that hasn't 'latched' which gets pushed out of it's housing on connection, that appears to work with a quick waggle of the sticks and then fails in the air.

It would be nice to be able to recommend this solution to the OP without reservation, but all I'm suggesting is that if he does adopt it, that he is aware of any potential pitfalls.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 14/09/2017 21:31:31:
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 14/09/2017 17:04:54:
Posted by Andy48 on 14/09/2017 11:59:47:

I bought a load of Ashlok connectors from Ash when he closed his business and use them a lot but I'm running out. These look like they'll be a useful substitute even if they're not quite so secure. I've a lot of time for Banggood. They have a great range of products, very quick delivery, and are responsive to problems. They also have very competitive pricing.

Geoff

Geoff, you can buy them direct from Radio Spares, here's one part.

They don't like you calling them Radio Spares At work we used to tease the their rep but I can remember when their catalogue was just a few sheets of paper and most of it listed parts for radio and TV. When I worked in the service department at Murphy Radio back in the 1950s we always removed any Radio Spares components and replaced with ours - and charged the dealer accordingly!

Molex do seem to be the ones but it's difficult to identify which you need from the list (mostly 6 way for me). Then there's the problem of deciding the meaning of male and female connectors. I always go by the actual current carrying components (pins = male, sockets female) but some seem to go by the shells. For me, servos have free female connectors to fit on the receiver's male pins but because they fit inside servo extension connectors they're referred to as male!

Geoff

Ok looked it up a few years ago if you want 'Ashlock' type connectors they are Molex SL series with a pin spacing of 2.54m (same as standard servo connectors) and the pins are the same pritty generic these day but always get the gold plate ones. pins are rated at 3 amps.

To make it easier to find mfr. part number 6 pin male housing 50 57-9406 and female 70 107-5006

and here at rs online to get you on your way also available else whereangel 2

Edited By flight1 on 14/09/2017 23:25:00

I now always use these from CPC/Farnell. They are the same as JR and available in as many ways as you want up to 12. Also the female plug sockets but not the male pins which you can get from HK.

10 way, CN14561, 12 way, CN14562.

Headers, 12 way straight CN18440, 90deg., CN18447. These may no longer be available but from these order No.s you should be able to trace the 10 way ones.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 15/09/2017 10:25:15:
Posted by Steven Shaw on 15/09/2017 04:39:39:

This company **LINK** has some nice connector harnesses to cover many servo combos.

4 servo hookup

Just what I need to tidy up a couple of installations where I'm using analugue servos - for digital I just use an S-Bus decoder for a single connector for the wing.

Pity they're in Canada and interesting they call the connectors Ashlocks! Ash didn't realise what an effect his naming of the Molex connectors would have on the RC world. Wonder where he is now?

Geoff

Posted by Andy48 on 14/09/2017 11:59:47:

An easier way is simply to buy larger housings for the plugs and sockets, a normal servo uses a 3 way DuPont housing, but they can be obtained in up to 12 way. A kit on Banggood costs under £5 and provides a whole range of housings and crimps. (If you google dupont kit on ebay the same kit can be found). For most of the connections simply remove from the 3 pin housing and put into the 12 pin housing. However, I would suggest doubling up on one of the positive or negative leads so that you leave a spare pin. On the socket side simply blank off one pin with a dab of epoxy, and leave the corresponding male pin out. This will ensure the plug cannot be connected wrong way round. Such a plug will be far more secure with 11 pins holding it together not just 3.

**LINK**

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1MI.fPpXXXXaoXFXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg_220x220.jpg

Edited By Andy48 on 14/09/2017 12:03:12

I bought one of these connector kits and didn't realise until it had arrived that there are no shrouds, as on the JR and Futaba sockets to protect the pins on what we usually call the female socket. I'd have been happier to have received half the number of connectors, along with suitable shrouds. Is there a source for the shrouds or am I just being picky?

Gordon

There are no shrouds, at least I've never found them. Make sure the male pins (female are the sockets) are the receiver side and all will be well. Where I have used these I tend to glue the male housing inside the model, so its not a problem. The only problem you might find is that it is perfectly possible to reverse the connections. I always leave at least one male pin out and glue up the corresponding hole in the other housing.