Hello from a semi noob!

Hello folks!

I’ve been trawling the rc sites for quite some time and really ought to have gotten myself signed up long before now!

I’m from SW Scotland and after a great number of years absent from rc world I have inevitably returned.... and WOW! The changes to the scene in 25-ish years is quite immense and quite confusing in regards radio systems to be honest 🙈😂

Brief intro.... Interest started at the ripe age of oh perhaps 13/14 year old when I was given an ic biplane of sopwith camel... if memory serves well origin 🤔 then I bought a glider and rc gear ... futaba something or other. Being a rather adventurous and over energetic teenager both avionic masterpieces suffered categorical total devastation✈️🛩🔥👻👻

Fast forward many years wife buys me a drone for xmas... interest rekindled... work and being a parent takes toll on times till BOOM eldest daughter enquires if I know how to build a model airplane... Do I... 😯🙄😂😂😂 Yes!! and a ‘spitfire’ is constructed... then RCME is purchased and I devise plans for a .40 ic powered flying spitfire type craft... shelf them in favour of a completely scratch built glider. Which I am pleased to announce is well underway... pictures will follow alongside the build thread once maiden flight takes place! Regardless of failure or sucess! 😬😂👍🏻

I have a great many questions regards the radio equipment but I shall thoroughly read through forums before impertinently asking a repeat question.

If you made it this far thank you and apologies for going on so long!!

Stevie.

Advert

Welcome Stephen. I was much like you a little over 12 months ago after approx 30years. I have found the guys on here very very helpful. Don't just use the forum for finding an answer also read some of the older threads as there is a mind of information to absorb for future use. Last time I was IC and 35mhz. With loads of advice and reading on here I'm now 35mhz, 2.4ghz, IC and electric with a hint of glider thrown in! It was the electric side that got my old brain in knots, I'm getting there though.

Read, soak up and enjoy. I know I should of come back to it years ago!!!

Welcome back, Stephen, it's good to hear that you'll be enjoying building your models from scratch/kits etc. - the hobby needs many more people like yourself IMHO. The advice to join a club is, as always, good advice, but seeing that you live in SW Scotland and having just taken a look at the BMFA club finder for that region, you might find yourself not conveniently close to a group.

If you do have to go it alone there's stacks of advice on here from flyers who have done just that, so there's no reason why you shouldn't be successful as well. If you are within a reasonable distance of a club, do join them and take advantage of all they'll be able to offer though. It might cost you a hundred quid, depending on the type of setup they have, but it'll be money well spent in terms of learning from other's mistakes and help with preparing your models so success will be assured.

What ever way you get back to flying, take your time and gain experience with a nice simple and rugged model that won't require hours of repair work every time you make a mistake, before leaping ahead into Spitfires and scale models.

Edited By Cuban8 on 26/10/2017 10:21:13

Welcome back Stephen exactly the same happened to me a number of years ago when I couldn’t believe how much fun and how good the kids micro helicopters were. I got drawn back in . It’s a great excuse when they like it too and it’s much cheaper and far more accessible than in the past 😊

I recently came back into the hobby after a 40yr layoff - back in the mid 70's was flying a Gangster with an OS40 using Futaba 27Mhz.

There were no electric motors then........or not that I can remember All build your own kit (got my Gangster down to just over 4lb from memory) - RTB or ARTB back in the day.

I see electric as the way forward - certainly is for me anyway. Situation will only improve with better battery technology. My concern for the hobby is - where is the new blood to keep this great hobby going ?

It's not just this sport - I'm heavily into another pastime (Music - Brass Bands) and we are suffering exactly the same problem of not enough youngsters coming through. Music takes many, many years to perfect - I don't think this goes well with modern society.

Alot of the issues I put down to education in that kids rarely do woodwork/metalwork/music these days so don't gain the skills needed and don't gain a `love` of building something.

My children, who are in their mid 20's, wouldn't have a clue how to correctly cut wood/make joints/fix a door etc etc. Shame really as they are missing out on so much especially with RTF ARTF models being available at a reasonable cost.