Discharging my ni-mh battery.

Tom Thomas

Hi chaps, I wish to partially discharge my 4.6v square rx battery for the winter

I charged it for my wildthing maiden and its only had about 20 mins use, the instructions advised keeping about a third charge in it for long periods of storage and I'm not likely to use it again till spring.

I soldered an old torch halogen bulb to a servo extension lead and its very bright, (the battery in the pics is an old one and not the same make which I forget, that is in the wildthing).

img_0065.jpg

img_0066.jpg

I then tried an old car headlight bulb to see if it would light, it does but I'm worried the current drain may be too much and damage the battery?

I ask because I wondered if the car bulb would safely drain it quicker than the torch bulb .

img_0064.jpg

Advice appreciated yes

Edited By Tom Thomas on 04/11/2017 02:40:25

Edited By Tom Thomas on 04/11/2017 02:42:52

Advert

i wouldn't discharge a nimh for storage. As John says most will self discharge and your eneloop is designed to hold charge for longer storage. Al I do with mine is give them a charge, then a full discharge/recharge cycle before the new season. Any that don't make the grade get ditched .

I just leave them fully charged and if I remember  blush take them out of model and keep in a dry place. When usage starts again I give them a even charge and test them on load for ten minutes or so . If ok re-charge them and they are ready to go. Always check the leads and plugs regularly and especially after a lay up. If in any doubt about cells or leads replace with new.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 04/11/2017 10:05:30

Posted by Ron Gray on 04/11/2017 09:44:09:

‘New Season’ Jon? I thought you were an all weather, no season type flying guy?wink

I am, but not all of my models are. Once you have rebuilt mud filled retracts a few times, or nearly lost a finger to frostbite trying to assemble a biplane held together by 14 screws you soon realise which models in the fleet are all weather and which aren't

The important thing is to remove it from the model and store it in dry conditions - especially if there's any chance of exposure to damp air. Black wire corrosion will spread through the negative side of wiring and switches - even as far as the receiver in extreme situations. Most switches only switch the positive side... not too clever when you think about it!

Do you have a multimeter?

If so, try to measure the resistance of your bulb.

You can work out the maximum current that will be drawn from the battery by that bulb by (dear old) ohms law.

If ...

R is the resistance of the bulb in ohms.

V is the voltage of the battery in volts

then

Current = V / R

Now if the bulb draws enough current to get hot and to glow, then it will increase in resistance, and so the current drawn will drop. However the maximum current can be determined, so you can avoid drawing more that the maximum rated current of the battery.

Plummet

If you don't know the capacity of the battery, I'd recommend playing safe and using an indicator lamp (21W) - IF you still insist on discharging it. NiCds were supposed to be stored long term at 1v per cell but I've never seen similar advice for NiMHs - in fact several manufacturers state that charge state is unimportant and simply recommend a yearly charge to prevent separator deterioration and leakage. Avoiding high storage temperature (not normally a problem in a UK winter) is a good thing though, as is avoiding high humidity.

Interesting - the advice from J.Perkins in this guide to Energ Pro packs states, "Never leave you battery in a fully discharged state." As NiMH cells self discharge quite significantly in storage, it's probably reasonable to expect them to be fully discharged after a few months of storage from the 1/3 charge state mentioned in the OP. There's no mention there of storing at 1/3 capacity as far as can see.

However, the distributor's advice seems a bit muddled - it states that because these cells have a high discharge rate, they should be charge/discharge cycled every 3 months in storage - which would, by my interpretation, mean storing them fully discharged...