Tim’s Grumpy Tigercub

Advert

Thanks Ron. Never had a better feeling flying a model, my dream had always been to build a mosquito but right now a pseudo Tigercat ticks all the boxes.

New retracts have now done landings which is two more than the first set ! I did look at eflite retracts but without a close up inspection I was not sure I could mate them with the sprung oleo I fancied and key the leg to fore and aft retraction.

I will have a closer look next time I am at a show.

Tim

I seem to recall your being a bit doubtful about the power you had available but it certainly seemed to fly with authority and showed no lack of power. You need to be very proud of your achievement of building such a great model. It looks really good in the air and on the ground (not always the same thing!)

Geoff

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your interest. You're right that there is little progress to be seen. It's a shame but unfortunately I can not change much about it. Have been ill for a week, went on vacation and now busy at work and making extra hours. Hopefully I can pick it up again soon

With kind regards,

Richard

• 1 month later...

I was ready to take out GTC for second session of flights yesterday and during checkout found the Rx battery was completely dead. I knew it was almost fully charged when i left it so was a bit miffed. A relatively little used 2000mAh eneloop at only a year old. Shelved the GTC for the day and took the Riot Xl out instead.

Checked everything later on and everything ok, except the battery was indeed dead. Started a charging/recharge cycle ( actually only one cycle as I was impatient to see if it would hold charge overnight). Seemed fine.

I have a G.T. Power electrical switch in the rx circuit so began to suspect it was drawing current even when switched off. Yes indeed 2mA. Guess what it is 6 weeks since the last flight/charge which just about equals the battery capacity. Says nothing on the instructions about a continuous 2mA drawdown . Think I might just ditch the switch rather than have to remember to disconnect it after each session.

Good news is battery is fine and even better news is that i checked before sending the GTC off to an early grave !

Suspect many of you know this feature of electronic switches but it had never crossed my mind; till now.

Tim

You would have detected a completely dead battery before takeoff Tim. I only have receivers/servo's powered from the main battery (and even if you run them down so far that the ESC shuts off the motor you have enough for receiver/servo's for quite a long glide down) so I am not familiar with the problem.

However, does one not always goes out to the field with a fully charged battery?

Regards, Lucas

All true Lucas but IF I had just assumed the Rx battery was ok without checking the voltage and I had gone out a couple of weeks earlier to fly, all would have seemed ok, for a while.

But yes I always do check, not least because the Downlink telemetry tells me the Rx voltage and indeed the full Lipo voltage . So you are correct a disaster would have been unlikely but none the less a possibility .

The GTC only has a separate Rx battery because I needed a bit more weight forward to balance properly and as I had electric retracts, lights and 6 servos it seemed a reasonable alternative to lead!

Tim

Disaster. Feeling really stupid right now. Was having a another really good session with the GTC yesterday when for reasons I can not really understand I Attempted an Immelmann with way too little energy and deep stalled straight into the ground. I was also too low to do anything other than watch. I frequently use either a split S or an Immelmann to reverse direction but that is with models with much more power that the GTC. I knew that and I still did it. Irony is I had just been checking out the stall characteristics and had noted it took a fair bit of height to recover from such a manoeuvre. I knew it and I still did it.

Did try higher rates on the ailerons this session which livened up the roll rate despite the inherent high roll inertia of the twin layout. That’s about the best takeaway from yesterday.

Tim

Ground was really soft, so much so that from nose to F2 was still buried in the earth, trouble was it was not attached to the rest of the fuze. That bit looks repairable. Rest is shall we say rapid deceleration damage. Front wing dowel broke out but took a chunk of Wing le with it. Awkward bit seems to be that a lot of the LE sheeting has come away along the glue line with the LE of one wing where the dowel burst out.. Only got up the steel to start examining things today but all electrics and powertrain & battery's seem fine.

suffice to say there is a bit of work to do before she flys again.

sorry to hear about the P40 Ron, that probably trumps my tale of woe.

Tim

Posted by Tim Ballinger on 15/04/2018 17:26:46:

Ground was really soft, so much so that from nose to F2 was still buried in the earth, trouble was it was not attached to the rest of the fuze. That bit looks repairable. Rest is shall we say rapid deceleration damage. Front wing dowel broke out but took a chunk of Wing le with it. Awkward bit seems to be that a lot of the LE sheeting has come away along the glue line with the LE of one wing where the dowel burst out.. Only got up the steel to start examining things today but all electrics and powertrain & battery's seem fine.

suffice to say there is a bit of work to do before she flys again.

sorry to hear about the P40 Ron, that probably trumps my tale of woe.

Tim

Very irritating. You have not had that many hours flying time with the modell. The good this is that you know how everything fits together and have the drawing of all the parts.

Lucas