Unexpected response

Glyn44

Many people on here, and elsewhere, extol Permagrit tools. Not without reason.

I had a problem with the abrasive plate lifting in one corner, so sent the following email, via their website,

The fine grit surface on my SANDING BLOCK WEDGE 140mm x 51mm Is starting to lift at one corner. Is it possible for me to obtain a replacement grit surface, and to be able to glue it onto the holder. After removal of the old abrasive of course.

I received this in reply this morning:

We are sorry to hear you have a problem with the sanding block. We will
send you a replacement sheet with fitting instructions free of charge.

Service is as good as their tools it would seem. Thankyou Permagrit.

Advert

The spare abrasive strip has arrived. First of all, unexpectedly it is flexible. It also has a self adhesive backing, so should not present any fitting problems. Not done it as yet. Think I will try to bend the old one, once removed, around a curved piece of wood, thus making a fairly large diameter sanding tool.

I have only just started using a Permagrit tool that I have not the first clue where it came from. I get the point, Silicon Carbide, and the two grades means I have rapid removal of material, and a good finish, with a very long service life. I can also sand incredibly accurately with the flat surface in a way that is impossible with my cork sanding block. I will be buying more Permagrit tools, and everyone should be using Permagrit!

I bought my first Permagrit tool not long after the business started (mid 80;s?), following a club talk by Ian Richardson It was a 300 mm block. Still going strong despite much use and not all of it on balsa and associated materials. It's not as sharp now as another block I bought 3 or 4 years ago. My most recent purchase was last year when I visited the LAA rally at Sywell, where PG had a stand, apparently the full size home builders like them too.

I bought a permagrit disc at the Nats a couple of years ago and they put some special tape on to it for me so I could put it on my home made disc sander. Ian Richardson told me it was a special very sticky tape and not the sort you can easily buy. I think he said it was of swiss origin.

Maxg