Mirus

Tom Thomas

Bought a second hand Mirus today.

love the no nonsense and slightly aggressive lines!

the fin looks to say.... FAST!.

Ive searched it and found a few vids, looks like it will fly slowish as well as fast.

im going to recover it as the current covering is a bit tired.

has anybody put legs on it?

Would it make a good possible sloper?

the engine is a Vego 21 anybody heard of it?

some pics

img_0156.jpg

img_0159.jpg

img_0162.jpg

img_0164.jpg

img_0165.jpg

img_0172.jpg

img_0174.jpg

Advert

Almost seems a shame to recover that! It is a Mirus although the kits were all sold with foam wings.

I had an OS40 in mine although today the best engine would be one of the bored out 25s like the Leo 37 / OS32 - or high revving lekky

I did put a fixed u/c on mine which was OK but it ruined the look of the thing,  I would hand launch and belly in.

Your engine looks to be the Veco 19. Veco and HB 19s were the same with different branding. OK back in their day but can be bettered now. The Perry carbs were supposed to be good but were very intolerant of even the slightest bit of muck or fluff in the fuel. I changed those I had to the OS FP 20 / 25 which I always thought a much better engine.

My Mirus flew very well and was eventually given to a young lad who then was waist high and now flies for one of the airlines - may be it helped? Despite the oversize fin it had a weird lateral 'wag' most of the time which looked a bit odd but otherwise did no harm.

Yours will fly even better with the built up wing I'm sure, Nice model!

Edited By stu knowles on 25/11/2017 09:56:37

• 2 weeks later...

The the engine is very clean, wierd way of attaching the muffler though?

The metal that sticks out moves left to right so lining up the bolt that screws into it is a bit hit n miss, then its further secured at the point where the muffler meets the engine with a vertical nut and bolt.

img_0177.jpg

img_0179.jpg

img_0181.jpg

img_0186.jpg

It even came with a tank of very old looking fuel?

img_0187.jpg

The Veco 19 was well known in the late 50s. I remember watching one Jr Technician Irvine flying a combat wing at the RAF Championships. His model went straight through another model and the engine never even coughed.

That was RON IRVINE who, many years later, was amused that I remembere4d the incident.

I had both sizes of Mirus, foam wing.

I lost my smaller one because I did a long vertical dive and when I went to pull out the wire pushrod must have bowed instead of working the elevator. The model went straight down through a very tall tree. There were bits of orange covered foam all down through the tree.

There were also bits of my Super Tigre 25 scattered about.

Make sure that your elevator pushrod is rigid.

PS Later in the day Ron Irvine beat me in nothing flat in combat and taught me a lesson in combat flying which I was able to put to good use some years later

Well I have been round an awful long time and never stopped.

By Coincidence I just bought some old Model Aircraft mags. Peter Chinn was reviewing "highlights from 1957"

He mentions the Veco 19.. I don't know how long after the 21 came out.

The Mirus was great.IT went like stink and was highly aerobatic. You will love yours.

The thicker wing may slow it down a fraction but possibly not..