WOT 4 repairs - What adhesive and how?

Andy C

I managed to land my WOT 4 a little too early yesterday and as a result took the nose and the undercarriage off. I was going to simply buy a new fuselage, or even new model, but have been encouraged by those at my club to have a go at fixing it all back together. BUT, the more I read about adhesives, the more I am not sure what to use, so would like some simply advise about it please? Also, should i be looking to put some longitudinal strengtheners along the front of the fuzz or is the old saying the glue is stronger than the foam actually enough?

Thanks all.

Advert

Like Geoff says, UHU POR is brilliant

But follow the instructions

Use a cocktail stick to ease the glue into any cracks as you apply it

And allow some minutes to pass as it becomes more tacky

The hard bit is to align the parts exactly before contact

If it is not possible to align after the glue goes off a bit

Then just hold the bits still while fresh glue is wet

Three adhesives work well on EPO foam models (such as the WOT 4 foam-e):

• Ordinary medium cyno, with or without the activator (NOT the foam friendly, keep that for the depron type of foam).
  • UHU por
  • Gorilla glue (my least favourite but favoured by many)

PVA is unsatisfactory & has difficulty in drying out. Epoxy gives a superficially sound joint but will fail if the structure flexes.

I have used Deluxe Materials Foam to Foam very successfully ! My foamy Acrowot had the front off twice and the glue line didn't break. It's transparent so repairs are not ugly like Gorilla Glue . My clubmates EFlite Spit nose came off on a daft downwards roll and having used F2F and repainted you can't see the join (as Eric used to say ) !😉 It flies just the same after the repair ! Colin

Thanks all for the information so far. Must admit though having just checked, the motor is not running true as well. Hopefully I'll be able to get it straight enough otherwise not sure fixing the fuselage will be worth it! I may as well end up buying a new one!.

It's probably only the motor shaft that's bent. You easily buy and fit a new one. I've done it myself when I inadvertently switched off my new and unfamiliar transmitter whilst trimming out my Acrowot foamie. It headed for the ground on fail-safe as it needed up trim Not one of my better days.

Geoff