Mini Blitz

Brian Dorricott 1

Advert

Maidened yesterday. Needed three attempts to have it fly for more than 3 secs! Nose heavy threw it to the ground and no expo contributed to that.

Firewall became detached on the second flight and after gluing it back on with Q-Bond (impressive stuff) from a fellow aeromodeller and 70% expo on all surfaces managed almost a full circuit. When head-on for landing I became disoriented as it was farther than I thought (it goes fast) and it is really small. Went down for a tough landing. Needs a nose job, but other than that, everything survived in good shape. Maybe next week it'll be back.

A strong word of caution: don't it go away more that 200ft unless you have near-perfect eyesight! Less than that is even better.

Unfortunately, no pics were taken with the model flying.

PP

• 1 month later...
Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 09/02/2018 20:54:43:

See, now I have seen the Micro Blitz...

I think I need to build one of them as well.

Kev

Got a bit bored this morning!

dscf0206.jpg

dscf0207.jpg

dscf0208.jpg

Just need to sort out the electrical side of things.

Can someone please suggest a setup that is available from "Hobbyking" that will give me decent performance.

I know next to nothing about electric set up's.

Thoughts on these and what size prop would I need.

Motor https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-2211-brushless-indoor-motor-2300kv.html

ESC https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-basic-18a-v3-1-speed-controller.html

Servo's https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hxt500-micro-servo-0-6kg-0-08sec-6-2g.html

Thanks for looking.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 27/03/2018 11:47:15

• 2 weeks later...

Chaps,

A slightly abrupt question if I may, but any comments on how well these things fly? Lots of discussion here about building, but less about flying. As someone who 'doesn't have time to build', I'm tempted to give it a go, but I'm slightly sceptical about my ability to fly it, especially given its small size.

I don't really want to build something that is a one-flight wonder, to live in the corner of the loft thereafter... is this a model you can use as a leave-in-the-car hack, or does the novelty wear off quite quickly?

Cheers,

TWS

Hello TWS,

My model has an engine on the 1200 kV class with a 1300 mAh battery. The first flights were performed with 2/3rds of the recommended throws, no expo and no d/r set.

Take-off can be done at 75% power and hardly any hand thrust. A nightmare: very, very twitchy. Every tiny movement puts the model immediately on a 90º (or more) bank and as it has no functional rudder, starts diving to the ground at an alarming rate. Yet, on the third flight it hit the ground and the engine bulkhead came loose.

The 4th flight last Sat was better: 70% expo (JR radio, hence positive values) and 80% d/r and it was a proper flight. Actually, it flies fine and slow at around 20% power! Nonetheless, doesn't cope well with a little wind. I found myself banking right into wind and it went left as if it were a sail in the sky. Do keep it near you - high contrast colours may not help you out. As soon as it is head-on (or tail going away) in level flight it's just a fine line in the sky. Perception of orientation can easily be lost. A hard landing ensued and the engine bulkhead (electric motors don't have firewalls, do they?) came loose again but it's been repaired by now. Sturdy it is, but don't push your luck. Sorry, no pics of the flights are available.

Hope this is of help. I'll watch this space for your own flight reports smiley

Regards,

Paulo

As a recent A cert I was a ittle nervous about flying the Mini , the club chairman made it look easy as did our resident wonderkid (15) . So I dialled it down to 50% for me , someone launched it and away it went with me struggling to hang on to it ! I came down a line of trees and tried to turn away but 50% was maybe too much reduction as I just could not turn in time and took a clean 2 inch bite out the leading edge game over . Built a 40% enlarged version with about 120watts per pound and got someone to test it weekend where it flew a lot less manic than standard Blitz , I'll have a go when wind drops a bit but maybe not to much rate reduction this time ! I'll post how it went either way .

almost completed my build now,

just waiting on magnets for the top hatch

reading this thread it sounds a bit harder to fly than anything else i have so far

last questions i think

i set the 3mm reflex but want to set up dual rates

how many mm travel in each direction should i use for each rate ?

and how much expo for each rate ?

Posted by Paulo Peres on 18/04/2018 00:20:39:

Hello TWS,

My model has an engine on the 1200 kV class with a 1300 mAh battery. The first flights were performed with 2/3rds of the recommended throws, no expo and no d/r set.

Take-off can be done at 75% power and hardly any hand thrust. A nightmare: very, very twitchy. Every tiny movement puts the model immediately on a 90º (or more) bank and as it has no functional rudder, starts diving to the ground at an alarming rate. Yet, on the third flight it hit the ground and the engine bulkhead came loose.

Sounds tail heavy?

Rene,

>>> Sounds tail heavy? It may have sounded like that but it's not. CoG was carefully set. However, it hardly has the advised down and sidethrust . It does make a difference with such a small model.

Mike,

As for D/R, I dialled in 80% of travel each way. Expo is 70%. I have more than 3mm throw, though. I think that being conservative on the throttle it's not that bad with the rates/expo I have now. The small size it's worse for my eyes and reflexes! I'll keep on experimenting and give notice.

Paulo