What servo for Wots Wot XL

Rocker

Thanks ,now it has been explained it not a problem .I have order the sub C battery pack from Wheelspin Models and the heavy duty switch. I really should take Jon advice and order the Laser 180 while he has one Just want to make sure everything is fine before I splash out £825.So I think I will get 5 Futaba 3010 servo,1 subC battery pack ,1 heavy duty switch 1 laser 180 and a Futaba 3008 receiver and every think is good to go Unless there are any more hidden surprises ?Thank again for everyone help .

Advert

Rocker, subC battery is bigger and heavier than your standard 6.volt AA. It will have to be a normal Nimh not like the low self-disharge eneloop, so it will need to be charged before flying. That's the main disadvantage. A 3000mah would be sufficient I think.
The alternative is a 3000mah Life, much lighter but it has the disadvantage in that you cannot check voltage remaining at the field using a battery load detector. It has be guessed and worked out by mAh put back in on charger. So you know roughly how many mAh each flight uses.
My decision would rest on engine weight and balance of model preferring to go with the Life without any added weight.

I use 3010 servos in some of my warbirds. They will be plenty, 3000 ish mah subc pack should give you at least 20 flights worth of capacity (check with your battery charger) and will have plenty of current capability. I personally use the futaba HD switches and have found them reliable.

i think you have all the bases covered

I'm no aerobat Ash, so may not be typical

But to add to your figures, I have never put in more than 300mah during a days flying

I do a check after the third flight, and decide whether to top up

Obviously some models carry only 4 servos, and my delta has 7 servos

The big boys should therefore check frequently, assisted by external charge plug.

Even with a 3000mah pack, it would be safe to go airborne at 1000mah

Yet non of us would launch with a pack 2/3rds down

One last tip Rocker, get Solarfilm clearcoat resin and seal all edges of film and trim before assembly. It will stay put for duration of the model
It's time consuming but well worth it.
I also use it for fuel proofer on firewall, tank bay and anywhere where else a drop of fuel might splash. Basically any exposed timber.
Good luck.

I use a 3000mah LiFe pack on my WWXL and quite happily get a full day’s flying of 7 - 8 flights each of about 8 minutes. I usually take a spare pack with me, just in case, but to date have not had to swap. My flying style could be classed as ‘energetic’ sports, in other words quite a bit of throwing the ‘plane around. The pack is also used to energise the plugs when starting via the 2 x glow drivers.

Due to my own fault it looks like I have missed the boat with the Laser 180 ,(Jon did warn me) I have never use a petrol engine before but it looks like now is the time to rectified that ,fitting the petrol engine does not look that difficult so it looks like I might have to purchase an OS GT 33 petrol engine for the Wots Wot XL.I think this is the engine the Wots Wot XL was designed to have so fitting it should be strait forward and I am hoping it fit in the Wots Wot XL OK Anyone flown a Wots Wot XL with the OS GT 33 and could give me any information I might need fitting and flying the Wots Wot XL with the OS GT 33 petrol engine.Also what are the advantages (if any ) and disadvantages of a petrol engine over a glow engine???

Denis has it mostly covered but laser fuel is only £16

Reliability is a hot potato as petrol engines have more points of failure so are statistically less reliable.

The stink can be removed with Aspen fuel but that is £20 a gallon (worth every penny).

My 180 petrol matches the glow for performance :D

Anyway I will have more 180 glows soon I hope. I have a large batch of engines and I am working to get them done for early next week. I hope I can get them done in time.

I still not sure if I might be better waiting ,if Laser are going to bring out a petrol engine should I hang fire a bit .I do fancy a petrol engine,it seems that that is way a lot of modelers are going it just that I have always used glow engines and I do like the big four stoke Lasers ?

Edited By Rocker on 13/12/2017 23:01:21

To an extent I was like that, all of my large ‘planes are petrol powered 30cc and above, mainly by DLEs and I really like them but they can be noisy. So, when it came to the Wots Wot XL I had a choice to make, another gasser (and I had a spare DLE!) or a Laser v twin. No contest as I just love v twins so the 160v was my choice even though I had to wait 12 weeks for it! Do I regret it, not one bit, the sound alone was worth the wait. Now I’ve got an 80 for my Lavochkin and want one of the petrol 180s when they are available plus a 240v as I have a home waiting for one of those bad boys. I have also told Jon that when they produce a radial I’ll have one of those too as, for me, that would be the ultimate, well tbh the ultimate would be two of them powering a Tigercat, utopia!

Most of the above is off topic, for which I apologise, but Rocker, to answer your question in one word, wait.

Rocker if you like i can put you on the list for one of the pre production 180 petrols as i still have some theoretically available and the WW would be an excellent mount for further testing it in an aerobatic situation. I was hoping to have them ready before Christmas but that is not going to happen so its going to be early new year.

I am itching to get them done as i need the feedback to confirm everything is 100% before going public.