• 11th & 12th August 2018

Entrance from Bosty Lane at Postcode WS9 0QQ

Visiting Pilots: £5 per day to fly

Public / Spectators: Free of charge!

Edited By Jim Mchugh on 22/12/2017 16:52:26

• 4 months later...
Advert

team renegade - white on red.jpg

Team Renegade at Greenacres MAC next weekend!

Hot on the heels of their success at the UK Freestyle Masters, the lads of Team Renegade will be ripping up the skies at the Greenacres May Fly in: 12th & 13th May 2018

Dani, Liam, Morgan & Sam will be showing the new face of Showline Aerobatics with their cutting edge 3D Sports planes. Get ready for noise, smoke and general saftness as these guys show you what a modern model can do in the hands of young masters...

Greenacres MAC: Aldridge Airfield WS9 0QQ

#TeamRenegade
#AzAerosports
#PbModels
#ModelfixingsUk
#OptiPower #OptiFuel
#NexusModellingSupplies
#NotASim

http://www.team-renegade.co.uk

I'm sorry Jim, but I will not be going.

I went to all the earlier GMAC fly-ins. They were designed for club flyers. The atmosphere was great, friendly, lots of chat and flying together. But sadly the GMAC Fly-in, in my opinion, is not a fly-in anymore, well not in the sense I would understand it and want to attend. Its now basically a "show". There is very little room for the average club modeller with his 60-70" wingspan model anymore. My perception recently has been that the flight line is totally dominanted by 3D display pilots, flying very large models in a pretty agrressive way.

I wish you ever sucess with the route you have choosen - but I for one will not be walking it with you.

BEB

With the loss of the Long Maston show I for one would welcome something with a few traders present. There's nothing like a few stalls to browse and to empty your wallet at, but it will be a shame to lose the relaxed funfly atmosphere. How much showline time will there be compared to open flying? What's the plan to coordinate the bring'n'fly and the professionals?

I was thinking of attending, too. I was unable last year for various reasons but I enjoyed my visit the year before. However, as a pilot of very modest ability (though always safe!) I find the attendance of very big models with effectively show pilots very intimidating. My models are mostly in the 50" to 60" range as BB says - in fact my 72" Percival Mew Gull is big for me even though it weighs in at only around 10lbs.

If the fly-ins later in the year are more like the old ones I'll probably try to be there but not in May.

Geoff

All,

Sorry to read some of the comments here. Trust me this event is still and shall always be a Fly In.

Pilots fly what they bring. If you bring a jet, you can fly a jet. If you bring a WWI Biplane, then please fly that.

The only reason for todays post (which I have asked the moderators to take down) was to advertise the team a little and encourage some of the younger GMAC members.

Apologies if some have taken this to mean that the GMAC events have become shows, because they have not.

Hope this put some of your minds at ease...

Jim Mchugh - GMAC Chairman

Edited By Jim Mchugh on 04/05/2018 14:33:19

Some thoughts here that I can identify with. I attended a Greenacres event some while back and thoroughly enjoyed meeting some people and watching other people fly a range of fascinating models by people on my level.I wasn't prepared to be an unwilling audience to some people's egos and big 3D models, now I'll go to Weston Park and embrace it but I went to GA for something different. Not taking anything away from the great guys and girls from the club and their boundless enthusiam and friendliness.

It is still a club fly in. The line is a queue this year as we had in the later shows last year, if you want to fly then get ready and join the queue and you then fly when it is your turn, regardless of what you bring to the line. Hopefully if I get the chance I will be flying my 10-15cc sized warbirds.

Bob,

The line up / queue system works very well. Poached from Banbury MFC last year. Totally fair, without bias and easy to understand.

Remember their is NO preferential threatment given to any pilot, team, brand, company or group at Greenacres events.

If a pilot has a truely exceptional, large or valuable model, they may be able to talk our marshalls into giving them a solo flight. This allows pilots to fly their aircraft for the benefit of the public, spectators and general crowd confident that they have clear airspace.

Hope that makes sense...

Bob

To expand on Jim's comment.

There is a fueling / battery loading box where you get ready and then move forward to the start box, when the marshals indicate that a slot is free, we normally allow 5 in the air at a time, you start/arm and then take off to join the current pilots.

If anyone wants to fly with similar models, i.e last year i was in the queue and Richard Ginger went up with his warbird, my self and a few others had warbirds so we joined him and the 3D pilots waited and then flew when we had landed, and vice versa.

This means you can fly with others of a similar ability/ style and enjoy the day.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to report that due to "life circumstances" I haven't been involved with the GMAC event in any sort of organisational or helping out capacity for a number of years.
I had also leant away from feeling like flying at them because of the more "show like" element.

So I was very pleasantly surprised when I attended yesterday. The queuing system was very informal. Essentially 6 models sit waiting along the strip edge of the starting box. These are started or armed as the previous lot begin to land. No rush, just as folk feel like it. Sometimes another row of models had started to form, behind.

This way you can see who you're likely to fly with and can join any row of models that takes your fancy. In reality, started models moved from starting box to flight line one by one, only when they were ready. It just seems to work.

This also helped groups like Team Renegade or the Reds Duo go up together. And when they did, the flying was just stunning. There were plenty of long gaps in between when others could fly.

From my point of view, yesterday at least, the freindly fly-in lives on. I was really pleased to see it.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 13/05/2018 09:43:24

I am genuinely pleased to hear that Chris. Greenacres was a excellent fly-in, but the experience of some recent years was not positive for me at least, and it seems like some others too.

But if the system is back working well that is excellent I may very well intice me back! Greenacres at its best is unmatchable in my view.

So well done Jim and all the team!

BEB

Percy, with the greatest respect I think you have slightly missed my point here.

You see Greenacres was a great club flyer fly-in. Knowing what I do about your interests I think you would have liked it very much.

Then for a couple of years it did, in my opinion, lose its way and become too dominated by a small number of, admittedly very good, pilots flying 3D with larger petrol driven models. This, again in my opinion, intimidated many of the "standard" club flyers. The 3D flyers were never a big group - but they were an extremely active group with one or other of them flying almost constantly at one point.

BUT, reports like those of Chris' suggest that the fly-in has rediscovered its roots and what made it special. If that is so then its definitely one to go to for any average club flyer. As I say, at its best it was unmatchable - as a club-flyer's event. So I will almost certainly be "giving it another go" later in the year following these good reports. And recommend you consider the same.

BEB

I have voiced my opinion on here before about the small number of flyers constantly hovering and doing Harriers over the centre of the patch. You can scarcely hear yourself think over the brrm, brrm, brrm noise. Clever flying maybe but that inconsiderate lot spoil it for everyone else. These fly ins used to be the best to attend but mainly due to them I may not bother to go again. They were even flying quads through small hoops in the camping area.