Mike Oldfield

Peter Miller

Quad are still in business but owned by the Chinese now I believe. Borrowed a pair of ELS 57's long time back and really loved those but not for your normal sized living room I worked for Pink Triangle when the business was set up by an old school mate. I have rebuilt my 303/33 combo - and have a few spare pre/power amps in various stages of repair. I have also built my own LS3/5a's using a Falcon acoustics kits and spare KEF drivers from ebay.

Advert

Posted by cymaz on 13/01/2018 07:22:33:

David, is that a floor standing speaker on a stand photo??

Yes otherwise the sound would have been blocked by the settee and armchair.

The speakers and amp are by Icon Audio, the turntable is a Dunlop Systemdek 2 which I bought in the Seventies, Syrinx arm, new Ortofon Quintet Red cartridge and Phono Box step-up amp. The Mission Cyrus provides a CD player and FM Tuner.

Used to use Quad IIs with both ELS and Tannoy loudspeakers. Not at the same time of course. Marriage and house moves soon got rid of those.

I used to do a lot of fishing JS, only yesterday my wife sorted out a cupboard at home and found some pictures of me taken 25 years ago of me holding a large Rainbow trout I had caught and the very last Sea Trout I caught which weighed over 6 lbs.

As far as Hi-Fi goes I don't think she understands that you need plenty of power (Hence volume ?) to operate speakers properly depending on the speakers efficiency. If she is in the house I get immediate requests to turn the volume down when I am playing music. I cannot locate my speakers where I want them either. Over Christmas my youngest son brought round his new sound system which consists of an odd shaped Bose speaker presumably with an internal amplifier etc that he could operate from his Smart phone. ''Why don't we get a system like that and get rid of your old stuff''' my wife said 'tongue in cheek' knowing I have not got a Smart phone !

I do a have a Tandberg TCD 310 MK2 tape player.

Some of the forumites here are really showing their age now... surprise

By the way - if going into the Hi-Fi stuff - I'm still the proud owner, including the very rare cassette deck, of a full tower-set Luxman Laboratories Series from the mid seventies.

Anyone interested? The 400W Amp only weights over 12Kg, so collection only, of course. angel

Cheers

Chris