Ripmax EasyStreet 2

I was so pleased with the fit of my cowl over the motor that I overlooked one simple thing, I didn’t have the prop driver mounted. So with that in place the spinner back plate was about 20mm in front of the cowl. This meant having to reverse engineer the reversing of the motor shaft and fitting the bolt on prop driver I found in the drawer. The problem was that even doing it that way, the backplate was still going to leave a big gap to the cowl.

097c30fb-cb78-4ea5-b4d9-73de21f43f08.jpeg

I didn’t want to fit a ring on the front of the cowl so as I looked around the workshop I spotted a red lid on an ant powder can which just so happened to be the right size. I stuck this to the backplate, trimmed it a bit and fitted it to the motor.

0b06705e-3bf5-431d-b704-42f0f386c44d.jpeg

3d3f4f43-1f57-42c3-aa12-2e9639c6b04d.jpeg

694d73cb-062c-4535-8130-23d70741b6b4.jpeg

And hey presto, it doesn’t look too bad

bacc7d10-2d04-41cc-83e8-790e3f7c6b11.jpeg

Well I saw a gap in the clouds this afternoon, so took the ES2 up to the field and gave it its first flight. No dramas - it needed a bit of right aileron trim and a little up elevator. Once that was dialled in it flew absolutely beautifully. On 4S there's bags of power of course and it will go vertical as long as you like. I'll have to add some tape reinforcement to the bottom of the fuse though as I'm not planning to add any U/C. Anyway, I flew three batteries and had great fun! Now I've just got to clean the mud off it....

Tim.

First flights today with danglies on. No dramas apart from the need to replace the tail wheel with a stronger one! AUW about 3lbs 3oz that is with a 3000mAh 4S Turnigy battery on board so landings are a bit on the quick side especially today with no headwind to slow it down. Flew for 6 minutes and had 65% left in the ‘tank’ and that was with some WOT passes plus big loops, rolls etc. Had to turn the aileron rates down as it is very responsive to the ailerons. Colour scheme not so good for a day like today, very grey, dull, overcast sky.

So, all in all, quite satisfying.

Nice one Ron!

I have to agree with you on a couple of points - I too found the low rates mentioned in the manual quite exciting enough for me! Secondly, I aborted a flight on Thursday as I just kept "losing" the model against a featureless, dull grey sky. I can't wait for the next good flying day to get it up there again! Lovely model.

Tim.

Flew the ES2 again yesterday in 15 - 20mph winds, it handled them with no problems! I also moved the battery fully back so that it is against the wingbtube and that made a lot of difference, much better handling and takes offs are now much better with better rotation. In fact it gets off the ground in about 10 feet. Boy is it quick on full throttle a real adrenaline rush but now I’m looking to change the prop to a slightly smaller one as I’m running a 10 x 7 so am thinking of a 9 x 8 or even a 9 x 9 but will have to check the figures for those to make sure I don’t burn something out! With the existing config, after a 6 minute flight a lot of which was at WOT I was showing 34% left in the ‘tank’ with the 3000mAh 4s batts slightly warm.

Everyone whio has seen it reckons it looks much better with the U/C on than off, maybe Ripmax should think about producing one with them, in the meantime I’m renaming mine to Easy Street 2.1