Ripmax EasyStreet 2

You can bend up a canopy latch from thin (20/22) gauge piano wire or even thinner wire. Basically a triangle with an elongated loop base.The nose of the triangle pointing outwards. This nose engages in a slot cut in the canopy and the long looped base C/Aed inside the cockpit edge.Or Epoxied for greater strength.I can't send a drawing I'm afraid but a bit of thought and experiment will show the way.These gauges are easy to bend with a couple of pairs of small pliers..The canopy is released by pushing the nose of the latch in to clear the slot..It engages by just pushing the canopy down over the latch so the nose engages in the slot. If done small and tidy it won't be noticed.

If all else fails with the canopy latch ,what I have used before is half a small servo arm, this is screwed with one small screw to the top of the fuselage just behind the back of the canopy, with the canopy in place you just turn the half servo arm through 90 degrees to engage over the top of the canopy, to remove the canopy just turn the arm back through 90 degrees, maybe not as good as the catch provided but it gives a positive fix for the canopy

Only had a limited time to go flying today. Amazing what a difference to the handling the new esc made, being ¼ oz heavier than the old one made it very nose heavy! Going to have to remove the battery tray just in front of the wing tube and move the esc back there. Whilst still quite quick I didn’t think that the 9x9 prop was as good as the 10x7 sonfurther experiments to follow.

Like many I had an ES1 many years ago. It had my first ever brushless motor - an Aveox on 8 NiCd cells. At the time I thought it was pretty hot but by todays standards with good lipos it would not have raised any eyebrows. Anyway, an email from Slough RC with a good price was enough to tempt me to hit the buy button. Like others here, it went together pretty easily with no significant problems. I had a Hacker A30-10L lieing around with a Hacker esc so that went in. I did find it virtually impossible to perfectly balance the prop with the spinner on.

I maidened on an APC 8x8 on 4s and was fairly happy with the performance. The recommended CoG is about 5mm too conservative imo - the second flight was much better with CoG at the rearmost recommended position and I think it could go back another 5mm to eliminate all of the elevator up trim.

I said I was fairly happy with the performance and I was but compared to an Eflite Rare Bear on 6s it was lacking in the adrenaline department. The last flights were with a good 5s 2200 pack on the same motor/esc/prop. That gave me 1260 watts in on an APC 8x8 at 14,500 rpm. This was more like it but after a dive the dreaded flutter showed up.

To cure this I have moved the aileron and elevator pushrods in one hole at the servo end and sealed all control surface gaps. I am hoping this will cure the problem. If not I may need to go to more powerful servos on the ailerons - I am pretty certain it is aileron flutter. At the moment they are HS65s - which I thought should be adequate on a model with small control surfaces and throws..

I'll let you know how it goes.

Julian

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, mea culpa! I fixed the aileron servo hatches with the horn slot inboard - RTFM! After switching them round and repositioning the horns on the ailerons all is fine. I have moved the connectors to the most inboard hole at the servo end and that seems to have cured the flutter. On a 5s 2200 40C pack the model is fast and direct - a real pleasure to fly - about the same speed as an Eflite Rare Bear on 6s but at around half the watts.

Julian

I have not had a breaking prop problem since I disabled the brake on the ESC and land with the prop freewheeling. If you land hot into long wet grass your chances of breakage are much higher but otherwise you will be very unlucky to break a prop. This is based on 10 of flights on a Voodoo, 100s on a RareBear and a few on the ES2.

Julian

Thanks Percy, yes, I'd thought about a folding prop. Julian, I think I must just be unlucky, as I land on a mown airstrip and have braking disabled on the ES2's speed controller. The first prop break was, I must admit, on a slightly harder than usual landing. The second though (yesterday) was a perfectly good, fairly slow (as it was quite breezy) landing.

I've put a new prop on so I'll give it one more shot and see what happens! I'm using APC props by the way and they do seem quite brittle.

Tim.

• 5 months later...

Hi. Easystreet flyers .Just finished building one went for hand launch and felt it wanted to pull it's nose down I was launching into some barley field but gave it up and flew something else. Back in the hanger decided to fit an undercarriage and try standard take offs. Decided to double check all settings etc and put the watt meter on little disappointed as I am only getting 320 watts on the quantum 25S motor on a 3 s 2200 newish lipo. Using the APC 10 x 7 and model comes in at just under the 2lb weight. Appreciate a 4 s will give more power but could I be on the limit ? with 3 s may look into some 2900 3 s lipo instead of expensive 4 s lipos .

Quick update on my experiences with this model after several months and around 100 flights. It is a very smooth flying and well behaved model imo. I fly on 4s 2200s and 5s 2200s (Graphene) with a Hacker A30-10L on an APC 8x8E prop. You need to cut the cross bracing out of the canopy to allow the bigger battery to fit.

The flutter returned and I tried many cures and eventually found it was the elevator causing the problem. I reinforced the elevator joiner with a carbon rod and this stiffened the two halfs up considerably - it was easy to deflect one while holding the other before. I also cut off about 5mm of elevator at the trailing edge. This completely cured the flutter. The model is fast - over 100 mph on 5s - but still not as fast as the Rare Bear on 6s. It is a lovely model to carve big aeros in the sky though and will do most conventional aerobatics with reasonably pure control response. It will slow down nicely for landing, even with the weight of 5s on board, but has a very good glide so unless you are comfortable making your last two turns at low level you will need a fairly long run in on finals.

Overall I am very happy with it and feel it's a worthy successor to ES1.

Julian

Hello Easystreet flyers. Managed to get to the field Tuesday afternoon for a maiden but all did not go to plan, elevator level not rechecked and once in the air I managed to hold it level on the stick but could not get it trimmed out and a landed into Barley Field , got away with broken prop and slight give in motor mounting box. Back home on with spare prop and drop of superglue on front bulkhead. Just got back from second maiden this evening ( air temperature 30C ) so did not stop long. First take off nice and level good climb out but wow, the airelons were wicked two big circuits to settle the nerves and in for landing. Quick adjustment to rates and exponential and in the air again, lot smoother in turns and another smooth landing. I am on 3S x 2200 cells and happy with performance so far.

• 1 month later...

based on reviews by people on this post I went ahead and got me an Easy Street 2 from Sloughrc.com.

I got it build with carbon undercarriage and a Turnigy SK3 3542 1250KV motor.

only done 4x5min maiden flights. just some slight trimming was needed and it cut the sky in no time. I m absolutely in love with the way it flies and tracks through the air.

one thing that I find to be a problem very soon, is the canopy lock, it looks that it will stop doing its job very very soon.

has anyone changed it or modified it to get to lock reliably?

I shall post some photos soon!

My pin was short on arrival and did not lock the canopy a touch with pliers to see if it could be extended forward and the pin pulled out. I want for a magnet at the rear of canopy and thought this may get blown off in the air so belt and braces and used the upturned servo arm at top of fusalage to hold canopy in place always go clockwise with use so screw does not come loose. Great model and we'll happy with 3s 2200 lipos on 5 min timer