C130 Hercules

Speedster

img_2496.jpgimg_2811.jpgimg_2814.jpgimg_2815.jpg 2 meter C130

I got this nice plane for free smiley

It was cut by a Danish guy some years ago, and after it had spend many years in a basement it was given to me smiley I will make it as a US coast guard plane.

The plane is covered with normal Hobbyking covering film, and this is pretty easy and dont melt the foam, when the temp on the iron is set correctly.

img_2816.jpg

Edited By Speedster on 14/01/2018 13:25:26

Advert

It looks very good with the film covering.

What motors are you using and what energy source - 4S LiPo or more? What temperature do you set your iron to avoid damaging the foam? I usually set mine to 135 degC for HK film but up to 150 deg for things like wing tips when maximum shrink is needed. Not that I'm great at covering

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 14/01/2018 14:25:31:

It looks very good with the film covering.

What motors are you using and what energy source - 4S LiPo or more? What temperature do you set your iron to avoid damaging the foam? I usually set mine to 135 degC for HK film but up to 150 deg for things like wing tips when maximum shrink is needed. Not that I'm great at covering

Geoff

I set mien at 100 for glueing down and 120 for shrinkage....... 150 sounds very hot to me

I suppose for a model needing 4 motors it makes sense to use a set intended for a quad. Just wondering if 180 watts will be enough for even a light 2 metre model to give it some authority in the air.

Dave Hopkin: HK film is very tolerant as regards heat. When my iron is set to 135 deg C I just use it very lightly when tacking the film before ironing it down properly. The 150 deg works well when a lot of shrinking is needed. Of course, those temperatures are what the reading on the iron says; there's no guarnatee that's the actual temperature and I haven't done any kind of calibrating.

Geoff

Posted by McG 6969 on 15/01/2018 08:13:05:

Hi Speedster,

If the HK link that you gave is the correct one, the specs indicate that those 2212s should be used with 2 or 3S Lipos.

So, I'm wondering how long they would operate at 14+ V... clock ???

Cheers

Chris

I cut the prop diameter and it only pull 12 amp instead of the max 20 amp in the specs, and also pull less Watt.

So there will be no problems running them on 4 cell.

There would be a problem using 4 cell with the props ment for 2 and 3 cell, then it would pull too many Amps.

If you go from 3 to 4 cell without changing the prop the Amp will go up around 33 % and then you proberbly will burn the esc or motor.devil

This is why a Amp/watt meter is a must when changing prop size / and cell number.

Soren

Posted by J Moyler on 15/01/2018 07:10:52:

Geoff I think that you misread Speedster's comment above. I read it as 180 watt per motor (720 watts Total), so there should be plenty of power. I used to fly my 9 pound Piper Cub on similar power.

JM

Yes, you're right. The total current draw is 48 amps so roughly 15 x 48 = 720 watts as you say. I thought it seemed a bit light on power and I had a senior moment

Chris, as regards running a motor on 4S when the spec offers options of only 2 or 3S - the main limiting factor for a motor (to a first approximation and when the voltage is relatively modest electrically speaking) is the current and Soren has very sensibly ensured that it is a mere 12 amps/motor by reducing the load ie using smaller props. Even the quoted maximum current can be exceeded provided it's only for a very short time. It's heat that you're limiting which won't have time to build up if the current only lasts for a moment. It's still preferable to keep current well below the maximum, of course.

Geoff

You're a braver man than I am that's for sure. I particularly liked the wing tip touch and go Well done and I hope you have a good second maiden when you can actual turn in both directions!

Our club indoor venue is about the area of one badminton court but without enough room behind the base line nor enough height actually to play the game. It a small village hall but very cheap to rent for the evening. I wish we had a venue as big as yours.

Geoff

Great weather for outdoor flying, and the Herc was just really nice and fun to fly.

Handles great, only thing is the narrow main landing gear, you really need to keep the wing level with the ailerons under takeoff, almost like flying a glider under a towing takeoff.

heart

Cheers

Soren