Electric Cars.

Cuban8

Advert

Posted by Percy Verance on 13/01/2019 12:43:35:

Paul

One solution for those in the blocks of flats you mention would be to charge their electric cars where they normally fill up with petrol. Shell, BP and all the rest are fitting EV charge points on their forecourts. These will be fast chargers which can provide an 80% charge in 30 minutes or less. Even something like a 10 minute charge at the high rates these chargers can give, will provide sufficient charge for a 10 or 15 mile commute.

Edited By Percy Verance on 13/01/2019 12:54:03

Sit charging in the petrol station for 30mins? that’s going to be fun.. I look forward to the queues.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

One of our club members has an iPace, and loves it. He did point out though that, as with i.c. cars, the effeciency of big, heavy evs is less than that of smaller lighter ones. He gets 2.5 - 3 miles/kWh, whereas the likes of the Leaf, Kona and Niro will get 4 - 5. During the cold weather his range goes down to 180 miles, but he's never had an issue charging, which he mostly does at home or work.

Percy, have you seen the YouTube channel "The EV Puzzle"? It's produced by a 64kWh Kona owner, who is having a very positive experience. He uses a network of public chargers that are, at present, free. I think they are call Instavolt.

Yes, I knew the Zoe had specific charging requirements, and never liked the battery lease idea. I've had loads of Renaults, though - loved them.

I confess that I've just changed my car for another i.c. one. Suitable electrics are still a bit pricey and rare secondhand. The nearly new Hyundai i30 Fastback I bought is under warranty until 2023, I'm sure I'll have a really serious look then.

Incidentally, my "French" Renaults were mostly built in Spain, like many Focus models!

I have really wanted to buy an EV but at the moment there is not one that will give me a guaranteed range without charge of at least 250 miles in all weathers. That's the return trip to the airport for me and after a long flight home I don't want to stop off for charging. I have bought a Lexus Hybrid which does seem to have some reasonable figures for using the battery. Hopefully in three years time EV's will have progressed.

My daughter-in-law had a Zoe for a while, but it was only used for local journeys and could be charged overnight at home.

The biggest problem revealed in the video seems to be that despite planning her journey around a "free" charger at around the right distance, when she got there, she found it needed a specific ID card - which she didn't have and therefore couldn't use. It appears there is no standard for these ID cards, and therefore you can never be sure which you will need at any public charging point! And there are several of them!!!

The alternatives she located were either broken, or not compatible with her car - one supposed fast charger informing her that it needed several hours (!) to charge! However, it did provide her with enough juice to limp on to another one that finally worked!

Frankly, its a shocking state of affairs (sorry about the pun!), but just re-iterates that the infra-structure is nowhere near ready for prime-time use. Not only that, but with there being no standardisation for the ID cards, if you do find a working charge point, you still may not be able to use it!

It makes Brexit look like a well-oiled, smoothly running machine!

--

Pete

Yes, I just watched the young lady's video above. The technology is coming on fast, but the infrastructure needs to keep up. You really need to be able to go to a charging point armed with just your credit card, and not need a collection of cards, apps etc. The connector system needs to be standardised too. It will happen, we need to remember it's still early days.

but I don't want to drive to work in a motorhome nor spend tens of thousands of pounds on one, nor buy another "eco" vehicle just to go to work, I have a perfectly good system now it does all I ask of it, it does not need road tax and sits quite happily awaiting its next trip, in the meantime I can use my car to commute, take the wife shopping, collect grandkids and even take a trip to the very north of Scotland, as I did in February, and after 700 miles I can refill in 5 mins and do another 700 miles, all the fuel delivery systems take the same payment card and quite usefully fit my car, I don't need a fuel pump in my drive and my range does not halve when its dark and wet,

now I know electric is the future but its far from anywhere close to being practical for every day use as it seems we are all going to need multiple vehicles to perform all the tasks we want presently, good for the manufacturers pockets bad for the environment as we dig out rare materials for batteries. and nothing I have seen yet or heard or read fills me with great confidence,

Jaguar seems to be leading the charge, pun intended, but as yet it is very expensive tech, it will get cheaper and better but its a way off methinks before the average motorist, those of us that keep the new car market going by consuming the older models will benefit,

but any hoo tis all moot as by 2040 aged 85 I will be all electric I suspect with my little pavement buggy taking me to fetch me chips

Absolutely that. I'd buy a hybrid without thinking twice. I'd not buy an all electric, at all, yet. But I think we've all said this before, no serious infrastructure means no serious uptake of full electrics.

On the other hand, I would absolutely buy an electric vehicle for commuting to work, but it would cost very little, have two wheels and go at a top speed of about 20mph.

If they'd have only had the internet in the early 1900s, you could imagine the posts, these new noisy IC cars will never catch on, nowhere to buy the fuel and my horse can top itself up in any field..............

As regards the efficiency, my IC car does less mpg in winter, but as the IC engine is only around 25% efficient anyway range isn't as badly affected as an electric motor with around 80% efficiency is using much less "fuel" to move it along so any energy used for heating/lights/extra drag has a much bigger impact.

My diesel car has a 55 litre tank which is about 590 kwh (diesel is around 10.722 kwh/litre) and has a range of around 650 miles, a Tesla with a 100 kwh battery can do around 300 miles. Maybe new fuel duties will be introduced as XXp per kwh (or MJ) to cater for both IC and electric cars.

I have approximately zero confidence that I could do a family holiday in the south of France by EV. Maybe I'd have to accept hiring a car to do a self drive holiday. Or flying and hiring. We're not loaded enough to have a special away trip car as well as an EV.

My family are 130 miles away. Obviously that's within range. But not a round trip, if it was needed, without a charging stop. It probably will be at some stage.

Are you serious about the infrastructure comment? The video above sums up where the infrastructure is at. Patchy, at best. As for charging at home, can our existing grid cope, I can't recall the outcome of that discussion, but yes, for most trips charging at home would work for me.

Thing is, all of the above goes away if you have a plugin hybrid. As it does for most people. It is, the sensible transition option.