Electric Cars.

Cuban8

That's another plus for electric vehicles, then as most of the braking is done by turning the motor into a generator. The Taxi company that had a fleet of Leafs noted that maintenance of their electric cars over 130,000 miles was way less than similar IC cars and that they hadn't had to replace any brake pads in that time.

BTW I knew somebody who consulted on the British Rail ATP back in the 70s and apart from the tilting mechanisms one of the other new technologies they were introducing was regenerative braking as the loads on disc brakes slowing the train from high speed were a big problem..

Advert

I can verify the regen braking bit as the alloys on the Leaf take very little cleaning. A seemingly minor but significant perk perhaps pollution wise.

Wish I'd been a bit more careful/cautious servicing the drum brakes now on my old Mini Clubman with all that dust blowing about. Never could get that damn car to brake in a straight line!

idd

Frank the the ATP incorporated a whole host of (perhaps not truly) innovative ideas, other than probably a first for the rail industry. The great pity is that it was pressurized into service runs well before it was properly developed. Perhaps what is really disturbing that on accelerating about 20MW of power was required. Considering the present day obsession with respect to energy, how can the idea of High Speed Trains be consistent with energy saving. I did read that the real issue with the APT, was that to run them as intended required the Railway Signaling infrastructure renewal,

In common with yourself i also had an acquittance involved with the APT, as well as the Manchester Metro, working for GEC and Alstrom Traction Division.

The situation is not clear cut.

Sales of cars are down, I forget by how much. The reason given is that manufacturers cannot get their models tested, without the certificate they cannot sell that particular model. The second part is there is a reluctance of individuals to but cars due to the uncertainties, created by the government mixed messages.

Although there is a increase in electric and hybrid car sales these are appox +6% of sales. Which is even less impressive when car sales as a group are down.

The sales of the hybrid/electric group will passably improve with more manufacturers selling models and there is a track record that provides longer term confidence. Some were saying that charging issues will remain a significant issue in London and some of the other major cities. The number of charging points planned is still insignificant to the present car pool.

• 2 months later...

Percy

I am not at all clear that for the average punter if the message matters one jot. Will it be a deciding factor in what they do and do not buy?>>

A few weeks ago I was in the Teslar showroom in Knutsford. I was less than impressed on what I saw and was told. The chassis is a typical ladder chassis, more commonly seen with basic kit cars. The batteries appear to sandwiched in the frame of the ladder. In the early 60s I would have been OK with rest, particularly crash issues, now, well, I will be waiting to see if others can do better.>>

As for the mechanicals and electric drive, does not appear to be ground breaking technology, looked pretty basic stuff, that should be cheap. That is other than the battery that seems to multiply costs>>

Re EV: What I find difficult to understand is, you have a block of flats with 50 or 100 people with cars, how will they charge them overnight? The road will need hundreds, maybe thousands, of charging points. And who really wants to walk a long distance from where they have parked their car to where they live?

One road where I live in Poole has dozens of blocks of flats.

This question has probably already been answered, so apologies.

Edited By paul devereux on 13/01/2019 12:30:48

Posted by Percy Verance on 13/01/2019 12:20:18:

I hadn't heard of water meters being forced on someone who didn't want one.

They have been in my part of the country, Percy. A couple of years ago, the water company was given powers to fit compulsory meters to all properties with a 2 year window to delay switching to metered rates. At its expiry, all supplies will be metered with no option for a flat rate. No opportunity to refuse access etc. as the work was done in the street - the local pavements are still suffering as a result!

I confidently expect to see metering charges rise to make up for the previously advertised savings that could be made by opting for metering!

Edited By Martin Harris on 13/01/2019 12:34:36