Glider control setup

Just wondering before I glue my flap servos into a Phoenix 2000 wing about how the controls are supposed to work. I would just have the flap operation down but on braking I've seen videos with them pointing up. I have fitted an 8 ch Rx so every servo has its own ch so I can program what I like.

Is there a particular way to program the controls, where can I find out what to mix with what. In theory you could mix flaps to operate like ailerons till you flick a switch turning them into flaps or brakes ! Complete gliding novice confusing myself disgust help.

Advert

Trebor, here's the recommended set up for the Multiplex Heron from the instructions, shoule be a good starting point for your Pheonix

Elevator

up (stick back) approx. + 10 mm down (stick forward) approx. - 10 mm

Powermix approx. - 0,5 mm

Down-elevator mix with Flap speed / thermic approx. -1,5 /-1,5 mm

Rudder left and right approx. 20 mm each side of centre

Ailerons

up approx. + 16 mm down approx. - 8 mm

Flap approx. +2 / -2 mm

Flaps (camber-changing flaps)

aileron approx. + 10 mm up

(Speed) approx. + 3 mm down

(Thermic) approx. - 3,5 mm

Spoilers (butterfly)

both ailerons up approx. + 22 mm

both flaps down approx. - 26 mm

Down-elevator mix with spoiler approx. - 5 mm

Also if you have the option to select aileron differential suppression when the spoilers are deployed that keeps the aileron authority.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 28/01/2018 13:03:50

yes Percy, I have put tape round them and glued the tape in before. I like using uhu por as it sticks well but you can just about get it off.

My problem now is to program the flap servos in, normally use assigned switch ok but I see I've got to set this up differently so the servo can travel from the centre both ways instead of 2 stages one way and back again if you see what I mean. I'm still learning on Frsky thinking there's so many different ways to do it.

Trebor, you need the spoilers on a proportional control, camber flaps can be on a switch. Glider guiders would put the spoilers on the "throttle" stick and motor on a switch or slider, but the power fliers I know who've got an electric glider find this approached not for them. Me I fly power with the throttle on throttle stick and electric gliders, spoilers on the stick and power on a slider.

Power on a slider, brakes (and camber in thermalling flight modes) on a throttle stick with e-gliders. Remember your throttle on one of these is generally on or off, whereas brakes you want to be able to tweak throughout the approach.

Ps - I really recommend you download a few basic glider setups to help you, you will learn a lot faster if you can see some of the alternative approaches in action rather than working them out from a blank sheet of paper. It’s also critical to understand concepts like high mixes or your setups will be unnecessarily difficult to adjust. Read Mike’s guides, they are invaluable.

Edited By MattyB on 29/01/2018 19:57:56

I must admit I don't fancy putting the throttle on a slider which is going to give me somthing else to think about, I'm ok with stick movements which is automatic I don't have to think about it. Ive sleeved the switches that I've programmed so I can feel them without looking. I did think about putting the flaps on a side rotary switch and if it's possible the aileron brakes as well but so far I don't know how to do it.

Thanks, when I first got the Taranis I put companion on the computer and updated to 2.1.9 before I started to program models in. Since then I haven't used companion due to my computer going petetong. Now I've got a few models programmed I'm worried about using companion on the new computer in case I mess things up which is the norm for me laugh so I just use the tx for now.

I will watch the videos though yes

Fair enough, though you may want to try downloading eepes into Companion anyway just to play with - if you're worried about transferring to the TX you don't have too, just programme similar mixes on the transmitter.

Alternatively try the Painless360 channel, he has loads of good OpenTX videos including a number on crow:

Edited By MattyB on 29/01/2018 22:27:47