What Happens Next

On a philosophical point (!) while I would not fly alone myself - I'm not prepared to accept the risks - I would defend any fellow flyer's right to do so if they wish. This topic has been raised at our AGM on more than one occassion with a view to making a club rule on the issue and I'm glad to say that we agreed to take the view that, while we strongly advise against it, we would not make a club rule that bans it. I think this has to be a decision for each pilot.

That being the case I would endorse what TWS says - if people are going to do it we need to give them the best advice we can about what to do in the event of a serious accident where they are seriously injured - it maybe a slim chance in some cases, but its better than no chance!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/02/2018 16:19:13

Advert

Thanks BEB,

On a sad note, last month an old friend of my mother's was found dead at her home. She lived alone. It transpired that she had choked to death while eating a packet of M&Ms.

So even eating alone can be fatal!

I was going to say 'food for thought', but that seemed distasteful. So instead, I'll say 'live life to the full'.

Blimey, Chill out a bit lads, were none of you in the armed forces? A bit of common sense is all you require. There is no need for the hysteria that is evident here. You are not going to bleed to death in a short time like 30 minutes especially with pressure to the wound etc. Just keep calm and sort it out and don't get all excited about a bit of blood and a shocked patient. It's unbelievable that someone should suggest not flying on your own when that's all you want to do sometimes. Lots of us have had blade strikes to the fingers. I have had one to the bone but packed my gear up and went to get it stitched no problem.

Calm down and think about it.

Posted by C Anderson on 01/02/2018 19:07:13:

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

Open to all BMFA Members it could be you next

It's been a great days flying when suddenly there's a thud followed by a scream

"MY FINGERS ARE OFF"

Panic takes over but should it?

How bad is it?

What do you do next?

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

Free pie and peas. Booking via email only (will be confirmed via email) a voucher will be available on arrival at the talk.

Free pie and peas please email to book your voucher

"Free pie & peas" ?

Surely attendance at this talk warrants a finger buffet.

Edited By PatMc on 09/02/2018 17:59:17

I think it comes down to the management of risk. Particularly in big clubs with 7 day access, many members are strangers to one another, who happen to be in the same club. The ability to arrange with one another to go flying at the same time is often difficult.

I think it comes down to the processes a club has in place, such as a first aid kid, model restraint and incident reporting and appropriate training. Risk will never be removed and injuries will always occur regardless of being alone or otherwise.For example, I've often been distracted by fellow members while I've been at the sharp end of a model, if they weren't there, i'd not be distracted and risk would be reduced, again it comes down to education.

There isn't a simple solution.

I quite agree we are all different and we all react differently and I respect that but I found some of the posts quite alarmist about a subject that can be sorted out in a calm manner.I have witnessed quite a few propeller strikes to the fingers in the last 35 years I have been flying model aircraft so am not in the dark about the situations that arise from this happening.

Still don't understand the self respect aspect yet though until someone explains where I have gone wrong?

This would be so much easier to discuss face to face rather than on a computer aaagh.

I don't see owt wrong with the BMFA running a day on first aid, and pie n peas sounds very nice. wink Advise folk against flying alone if you believe that, but leave it there, how long we been doing this hobby and how many fatalities from flying alone ?

Most clubs have folk with disabilities, angina, high blood pressure and a host of other problems, what obstacles have we put in these peoples way as regards to enjoying their hobby ? leave folk alone to make their own choices.

Posted by Ian Moody on 09/02/2018 17:01:43:

Exactly Don, Mindset. Keep calm and carry on. Self respect and others respect? Explain that one please.

You cope because you do, it's what you do. Or you cope, because your mate expects you to cope, and if you don't, you can't look him in the eye again.

Posted by David Mellor on 09/02/2018 19:15:56:

If one has a sense of grandeur then it is as well to have company during one's final moments in order to record one's last words.

Perhaps the most fitting to this thread might be those of Denis Diderot - French philosopher who expired July 1784.

He said (in French, naturellement) "But how the devil do you think this could harm me?"

crying

Posted by David Mellor on 09/02/2018 19:15:56:

If one has a sense of grandeur then it is as well to have company during one's final moments in order to record one's last words.

Perhaps the most fitting to this thread might be those of Denis Diderot - French philosopher who expired July 1784.

He said (in French, naturellement) "But how the devil do you think this could harm me?"

crying

I sometimes wonder how, in the days before mobile phones were a common accessory (or even any more than the comic strip cop Dick Tracy's 2 way wrist radio) I dared to wander far and wide either alone or with a single companion off road motor or pedal cycling or even just walking.

Geoff

I have never flown alone except for once with a KK Cub glider. That being a given I have never had an accident either thank god but the point is I could have had but had someone was with me. We were all first aiders, Many of us very advanced. But there always were 2 of us at least . Not by arrangement but as mates we were always calling for each other to fly or fish or cycle. Often combining one or the other.smiley It worked well for us