Six Nations 2018

john stones 1 - Moderator

Advert

I don't find any sort of televised sport of much interest these days, but my mother-in-law who's 85 will be glued to her TV throughout the rugby. She gets quite frisky and reckons that "rugby is played by real men, not like the other lot with their round balls."laugh

Edited By Cuban8 on 02/02/2018 11:53:46

Don't write Scotland off. Their commitment to their team is top notch. They are organised, and brave in executing their vision. Give them a sniff of victory, gift them a try, and they will gut you.

Tears in the Brains Saturday night I reckon. Wales are not what they were, and I don't see a turnaround coming.

An uphill struggle for us welsh this year perhaps with so many first level players out due to injury.

Still the under 21's did well last year so there may be a chance for new blood to shine.

I do think that things have got tough on all players these days with more body check type tackles rather than the traditional around the leggs tackle that was taught when I was a lot younger.

Posted by J D 8 on 02/02/2018 13:59:14:

I do think that things have got tough on all players these days with more body check type tackles rather than the traditional around the legs tackle that was taught when I was a lot younger.

It's the Rugby League influence, I think. It's no longer a contact sport - but a collision sport!

And the poorer for it. It's a magnificent sight to see a man mountain crush some poor thing, as long as it's your man doing it. Barry John was magic, but was allowed to play. The side step nowadays has to be assessed in case you get a crippling tackle. I cite Jonnie Wilkinson as too brave for his own good.

Yep, even wings and centres are enormous these days. Watching some highlights of Jeremy Guscott twenty years ago shows the difference in styles and game play. He was silky, gliding through the opposition.

Now they prefer to batter into the opposition to gain turnover ball.

Still a great spectacle as that first hit goes in - whether League or Union.

Edited By FilmBuff on 02/02/2018 17:29:34

You seem to be half right fly boy!

Quote from Wales online:

The Principality Stadium roof will be open on Saturday despite Wales' wishes to close it and the forecast rain.The idea that Wales have the final say on what happens with the roof is a misconception and for it to be closed, both sides must agree to it. “

So according that it’s open, it’s not on my tv, well I don’t think it is!

anyway just having a dig at the old enemy. I’ll be at the England Wales game. Fingers crossed.

Gotta feel for Scotland, they only seem to win at curling.

I'm obviously pleased that Wales won so convincingly, but I can't help but feel sorry for Scotland. It's not good for the game to see their lack of success in the Six Nations championship. I'm sure our Celtic cousins will have a great time in Cardiff tonight to help sweeten the pill.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 03/02/2018 16:24:41

Yep you got to feel for the Scots lads, they've never won an opening game away in 6 nations.

Great team performance from Wales though, line speed/tackling excellent, feel the Scots where naive in thinking they could win it without doing the ugly stuff first. Penalties for not straight put ins ? not before time, but looked inconsistent.