Tesla launch car!

Cuban8

Advert

The main rocket ended up crashing into the sea as the engines did not start right. Apparently it hit the sea at 500km/h. SO although not 100% successful the test has been successful in most aspects. Great PR for SpaceX and Tesla. I am sure it will be exploited to the full.

Seeing the two outer boosters land simultaneously was very impressive and shows how much SpaceX have progressed, and I am sure a number of people at NASA and ESA at least will be worrying about the competition now for launching satellites.

Some of the best images has got to be the Roadster in space with an almost Stig like mannequin in the driving seat. Me thinks that David Bowie would also have approved.

All very different from the furrowed brows and chain smoking at Cape Canaveral & Houston during the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo days. Launching the car as a dummy load? Why not? It would only have been a mass of concrete or whatever otherwise, and if it's simply a gimmick that gets youngsters into science & tech, it can only be a good thing.

I never thought I'd see a manned mission to Mars in my lifetime, but I think it's just possible that SpaceX will go for a manned orbital flight around Mars similar to a vastly more complex Apollo 8 mission, within the next twenty years. Not easy, and there are many issues that would have to be addressed given the distance and planetary orbital mechanics that Apollo 8 didn't have to worry about.

I've been following spaceflight since the Gemini days (bit too young at the time for the earlier stuff) but it still gives me thrill to see 'em lift off.

Edited By Cuban8 on 07/02/2018 13:23:30