Own Design 2m F3A Model

Dan Workman

Hi all i'm Dan, first post on here. Thought i'd share a project i have going at the moment.

I drew it up on cad last year but have only got round to starting it a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping to get it ready for the start of the season in April, so far i have the fuz pretty much built and i've started on the wings.

Bit about the model, it has a deep fuselage with canalizer on top, anhedral tail and i'll be using a twin motor contra rotating motor. It's 2m long.

The only thing i havent decided on is a colour scheme.

Heres a few pics....

img_20180125_46832.jpg

img_20180125_5689.jpgimg_20180125_2941.jpgimg_20180125_19102.jpgimg_20180125_47778.jpgimg_20180125_4584.jpg

Andy, i do have an uncle Andrew, he lives in Bromsgrove?

Hi Brian how are you? Yeah doing a bit of f3a, this will be my second full year. I used another own design last year, it flew well but not as well as a Krill Spark i had so it never got used!

Hi Martyn, thanks! Yes i'll be running a twin motor contra rotating set-up. Chap in poland makes them. I'll put some pics up later

Dan

Posted by Dan Workman on 09/02/2018 10:25:58:

Hi Brian how are you? Yeah doing a bit of f3a, this will be my second full year. I used another own design last year, it flew well but not as well as a Krill Spark i had so it never got used!

Dan

I'm fine thanks Dan too old for all the travelling that goes with competing but still enjoying my flying. I'm sure given your experience in aerobatics you'll do OK

One of our F3a members designs and builds his own models but his are moulded. He's Polish but won the Nationals in his class about 5 years ago. Dual contra rotating props seem to be the current 'Thing' in F3a and Les's are driven by 2 motors with (presumably) a hollow motor shaft in the front one and, obviously, 2 speed controllers.

Dan's design looks stunning with those delicate fuselage formers. It looks to be very lightly constructed so I guess, like most these days, it's destined to be electrically powered?

Look forward to see it gradually coming to fruition.

Geoff

Hi Geoff yes i know Les, it was seeing his latest design flying that convinced me to get the same twin motor set-up as he's got. Adam Debowski who manufactures them is a very talented engineer, i think hes made about 8 units in total. Les is also a great builder, especially his moulded work.

So yes being electric allows for a very light airframe without the need to reinforce for the vibration of a thudding YS. Although, i do like a YS, the latest being the YS200. It purrs but still vibrates a lot compared to electric.

Lovely build Dan. Watching with interest.

Just one question. Do you need to take any measures to make sure the fuselage doesn't warp whilst the planking / sheeting is drying? Just asking because I've never done anything like that but I would expect there to be some movement going on as the planking dries.

Few more pics

Getting towards the end of sheeting the fuz, which means the cutting the canopy out. I built the canopy base into the fuz so was just a case of finding the join and slicing through the skin. Then trimming back the front and rear to add new formers and face the canopy. I'll be honest, it was a bit of a pain! Oh and then do the latch.

Most of the lower sheeting had been done, just got to cut the rudder out.

img_20180130_15914.jpg

img_20180202_9345.jpg

img_20180203_2421.jpg

img_20180206_1363.jpg

img_20180203_7378.jpg

img_20180203_19625.jpg