Excerpt from Aero modeller 1971

bouncebounce crunch

Advert

Wasn't it Pylonius who wrote a very amusing article about a Doug Spreng model,I think it was the " Twister",in which he argued ,in a comical way,about Doug's aerodynamic theories. He gently mocked Doug, including intentially spelling his name wrong in a very comical article. Pylonius,(who was he ?) always wrote a very amusing item,and was very clever in his use double meanings.................................Mal

Posted by Fun Flyer on 16/02/2018 18:33:03:

I think it carried the name from Model Aircraft and was called "Topical Twists" in AM too. I suppose its generally known who Pylonius actually was?

His name was Len Ranson, he was a committee member of the Hornchurch Model club when I was a junior member in the fifties. He was into rubber powered free flight stuff, sometimes tailless and had some of his plans published.

Bert

Posted by Peter Miller on 16/02/2018 12:00:40:

What was his column called in Aeromodeller?

In Model Aircraft it was called Topical Twists

It was 'Topical Twists' in Aero Modeller (2 words) too.

It first appeared in Aero Modeller in January 1966, following the closure of Model Aircraft Magazine, when Aero Modeller took over several Model Aircraft features and the combined title was 'Aero Modeller plus MODEL AIRCRAFT'

Posted by Bert on 16/02/2018 18:50:41:
Posted by Fun Flyer on 16/02/2018 18:33:03:

I think it carried the name from Model Aircraft and was called "Topical Twists" in AM too. I suppose its generally known who Pylonius actually was?

His name was Len Ranson, he was a committee member of the Hornchurch Model club when I was a junior member in the fifties. He was into rubber powered free flight stuff, sometimes tailless and had some of his plans published.

Bert

I was told, obviously wrongly, that Pylonius was Ray Malmström.
Ray was "Fliar Phil" in Aero Modeller but also contributed to Model Aircraft. As well as plans of quirky models he was responsible for many of the cartoon drawings.

There are a few errors here. Of course, Len Ranson wrote some wonderful humour as Pylonius.

While Peter is correct in suggesting that Pylonius was in "Model Aircraft", he's perhaps forgotten that Model Aircraft ceased publication in the mid-sixties. The last issue was December 1965. After that, it was officially "incorporated into Aeromodeller", so the best MA features were transferred to Aeromodeller, including Pylonius and the late John O'Donnell's unequalled free flight discussions and reports.

For PatMc, Ray Malmström was "Fliar Phil", not Pylonius.

I never had a column in Aeromodeller.

I did Engine Bay in RC Model WOrld from isue 1.THen Miller's Tales in Radio Modller, it Moved to RCM&E and the much later AMI before Moving to ModelFlyer

I also edited "How I Did That" gadget pages in AMI from the start. That involved a lot of drawing and usually creating at least half the gadgets myself due to too few submissions in spit of good rewards for the best gadget or tip.

Also did 3 (Three) columns in each issue for a year in R/C Model Mart and a series in Flying Model Designer and COnstructor

I just remembered. 5 columns for an Amercan magazine called Model Shopper. Gave that up when Stu Richmond and I found that our columns we being edited by students who didn't know anything about models and they made us look stupid.

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/02/2018 08:32:26

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/02/2018 08:42:18

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/02/2018 08:50:43

Posted by onetenor on 16/02/2018 13:03:39:

Well I didn't think the mods would do that.I never got a chance to read it. Spoilsports. I'll have to dig through and see if I did get it. I should have done but don't recall.

You didn't think the Mods would do what precisely? "Spoilsports" why?

As far as I am aware, no one has done anything to this thread - for the very good reason that it doesn't breech the CoC. BBC quotes what he wants to quote in full, there was no link, there was no further text.

So what exactly are you on about may I ask? Or have you just bought a random old magazine because you think there is more to it? Methinks you are destined to be disappointed!

BEB