Canberra by Andy Blackburn PSS

Peter Garsden

I've used JR and then Spektrum, but I suspect that you use Futaba(?) so this might not make all that much sense, but on my Tx you can either do it using end point adjustment, or on the Tx screen where the dual rates are set-up - you can set-up different amounts of movement for up and down elevator by holding up or down stick whilst adjusting the movement.

I'm afraid I did it on end-point adjustment - something like 100% down and 80% up ...

Advert

I have set up the Canberra this morning and balanced it out. Curiously I needed 3.9oz rather than 1.75oz which is what Andy needed, and it balances nicely on the recommended spot which I work out to be between 88 and 93mm from the leading edge.

As recommended I have gone for 88mm and used my Great Planes handy C of G machine, which is worth its weight in gold.

The model comes out at 44.8 oz not 43oz - which accounts for the difference in weight - probably won't make any difference to the performance,

As the wing area is quoted at 2.963 sq feet the wing loading of mine comes out at 15.11 oz per square foot rather than 14.45 oz/sq ft of Andy's - again not a lot different.

I have used the trusty electric switch operated by magnet, with a hole and blue light in the top of the fuselage. I always use them now - available from T9 Hobby Sport - **LINK**

All that is left to do now is finish off the decals with my vinyl cutter and the lettering with a clear adhesive label print "Royal Aircraft Establishment", and "EXIT HER FOR EMERGENCY RESCUE". I already have some warning triangles printed

I need to make some trim out of white Solartrim for the canopy, put on the decals and we are done.

Orme here we come - praying for enough wind.

What is the wind range Andy? Would have thought it will fly in light winds with that sort of wing loading - say 10mph an upwards?

Pete, that looks really good.

> What is the wind range Andy?

I've not found the wind speed limits yet, because every time I've chucked it off a slope it's flown OK.

All slopes are different of course and will provide different amounts of lift with the same windspeed, so it's difficult to give any hard limits. However, it will fly higher in the same lift than my light-ish 2nd Jet Provost (silver and dayglo) and Hawk T1a (the grey one, SD6060 wing) so if a JP or Hawk will gain height, then the Cranberry should do too. I've chucked the first prototype JP (slightly lighter) off the Orme in a lot less than 10 mph and that took a bit of concentration, but it did gain height.

Having said all that, though, you really need a decent amount of lift for a maiden in case you need to sort things out so I'd just go with what you're happy with.

• 2 weeks later...

The Canberra got a maiden today up at Leek Mermaid slope. As I said, PSS models don't normally fly locally and usually need the booming lift of the Orme.

This Canberra, however is quite light - see above, has a low wing loading and seemed to fly quite happily in 10mph. The wind, however increased later in the day before the rain appeared.

It flew straight out of the box with little need for trim. It needed some up trim, and some right trim. It cruised around happily , and gained height easily.

It rolled happily but I didn't try any other manoeuvres.

After the first filght, I added some more mixed in rudder.

Someone videoed it I think. And it has been spotted somewhere on Facebook as the RAFMAA were having a fly in this weekend up at Leek.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

Can you PM John's contact details to me please. I would like to see if I can get some 3D printed intakes.

Martin.

Posted by Peter Garsden on 27/08/2018 12:13:02:

For those who were following 2 slides back, don't. I have realised that it is going to be very difficult to put the tailplane brace in, now I have glued on the top blocking, so best to glue the tailplanes, and top blocking all in one go once the blocking has been shaped - also you can't get the blocking of the underneath of the tailplane until you take the fuselage off the board.

20180827_075357.jpg

Also showing the 3D printed air intakes that John Hey kindly made for me - some covering also now on - hoping to bring to the Orme.

• 2 months later...

How did you hold the wings on in the end, Peter? Earlier in the thread you mentioned some wing retaining plugs, and I was thinking of going a similar way, rather than putting tape along the join. But, Andy B. suggests some strengthening around the plugs if you go that route, and I was wondering what you had ended up doing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very difficult is the answer to get them to meet and recess into the wing.

1. I used a circular dremmel tool in the shape of a small drum about the diameter of the magnet.
  2. I dremmelled a recessed hole into the plywood root rib.
  3. I cyanod the magnet into position.
  4. I offered up the wing to see how close the fit was.
  5. I marked the position of the opposing magnet.
  6. I dremmelled the opposing indent for the magnet then cyano'd it in position when the gap between the wing and the fuselage was as small as possible with the wing in contact.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...