New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special

I'm having a devil of a job finding 50mm edfs unit in the UK. The AEO and FMS are like rocking horse poo. Has the entire UK gone mad building these planes? I will have to sit tight and wait for stock to return ...........hopefully! Unless someone knows where some stock is hidden???

Edited By Keith Sharples on 14/10/2018 22:32:34

Re customs etc charges I paid £13;10 for some props on special from HK Price? 2p YES TWO PENCE. I've been trying to reclaim it but HMRC keep Pissing me about saying not this dept but not saying which one it is.SWINES I had to give up for a while but will try again after wife's funeral.. Anyone KNOW the right section to contact?

Posted by Keith Sharples on 14/10/2018 22:31:00:

I'm having a devil of a job finding 50mm edfs unit in the UK. The AEO and FMS are like rocking horse poo. Has the entire UK gone mad building these planes? I will have to sit tight and wait for stock to return ...........hopefully! Unless someone knows where some stock is hidden???

Edited By Keith Sharples on 14/10/2018 22:32:34

Re posting, Anyone know where I can get a 50mm edf unit.

Just be aware that as the cost including shipping is over £15 then VAT and a RM handling charge will need to be paid. Hobbyking Mad Thrust EDF unit = £16.34 + shipping (reg air mail) £3.82 + 20% VAT + £8 Royal Mail handling charge = £32.19. I believe the handling charge is the same (£8) up to £135 of total items at which point additional duty will have to be paid. If there are some other HK items you need best to include them with your order (up to £135 total).

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 16/10/2018 08:02:53

today I paid a trip to jc's emporium(jim carrs hoose) had a cuppa and put the world right. He kindly gave me some chrome profilm to finish off the sabre with. Three cheers for JC ….a nicer lad you couldn't meet(don't tell him)….also I need to shorten the four servo leads...too, too much spaghetti inside the fuz I hear you think…

sabre 21.jpg

sabre 20.jpg

ken anderson....ne..1...three cheers for Jim Carrs…..

Comparing Rocking Horse Poo!

Some how I have ended up with both the FMS 50mm EDF unit and the AEO 50mm units.

I had ordered the AEO unit back on 5th July from an Ali express supplier, the only one I could find, Tracking showed this enroute China Airpost and on a plane on 10th July, at which point the tracking went cold, when not delivered after 45 days I just claimed on Aliexpress for a refund which was then made,

Today 17th Oct the Post delivered the missing package!! over 3 months in transit!, Aliexpress has generally been pretty reliable, typically 2 weeks or even less in most cases for Airpost deliveries with the money back guarantee in event of issues, no Paypal, it has to be credit card. Declared customs value was a generous $5, so no issues there.

Comparing the two units.

The FMS is 73gm, the AEO 60gm with connectors (is not supplied with any) the FMS has 3.5mm units already connected.

Size wise the FMS unit is longer (bigger motor) but the 11 Blade fan unit is more compact, the motor is further back so will have a CG impact, unless mounted a few mm forward. The dia of the fan unit is 53.4mm compared to the AEO 54mm, the fan should (removable on the FMS) is 60.3mm compared to the 64.65mm of the AEO so may fit without trimming,

I will run a comparative power test and post up the results when I get a min.

The FMS unit sounds better than the AEO on a quick run up, I know the FMS unit is Amp hungary pushing 32 amps in my earlier test

Regarding the 'trail going cold' - this is down to the Royal Snail who won't track anything until it's been delivered. The originating carrier can't update their data because the Royal Snail simply won't tell them anything.

As for non-delivery, I had an item at one time (before the change in tracking) which showed it arrived at the West Belfast sorting office - 4 weeks later it STILL hadn't arrived so I got a replacement - the day after that arrived, the original one also arrived. I did notify the seller offering to pay for the second item but they just replied that, because I'd been put to so much trouble, to forget it.

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 16/10/2018 19:03:50:

Excellent work Ken, you are a trail blazer. I wonder if any others are 'in-build' at present?

Looks FANtastic smile d. (and well done Jim yes)

The weight looks good, something to aim at.

I now have all the gear but no idea as I've never been near a ducted fan model before but hoping to learn.

Will post the progress sometime November.

Edited By Devcon1 on 17/10/2018 23:06:04

Test results on the AEO 50mm edf unit.

Holding it over the kitchen scales showed about 500gm of thrust at 26amps and 260+ Watts, this compares to the 700gm of thrust and 320w of the FMS unit, both were on a good 2200 3 cell, the motor was warm to touch. The 30amp etc them popped,/so no further tests.

This is pretty rough and ready measure but comparable results, no doubt will be substantially less once installed, and starved of air given the inlet sizes.