New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special

Is there a consensus as to where the most economical edf unit is available, that is including any handling charges, that does the job?

Is it possible to split the purchase of the fan and motor, paying more postage charges to avoid UK handling charges and VAT (although the vat is not the deal breaker).

Erflog,

The FMS unit from Banggood, back in stock from the 26th so they say, VAT and charge free as declared cost is less than limits!!, delivery usually around two weeks.

The AEO unit from Aliexpress (see my previous post) from ACCHOBBY, delivery normally about two weeks, but in my case 3 months!! I got my money back under the guarantee scheme after 60 days.

You can have my AEO unit, tested but otherwise unused for £22.50 inc post as this is now surplus to requirements as I will use the FMS unit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mine is ready for the off,the fan is drawing 14 amps/140 watts.the model less battery is 13 oz.this is my first EDF model.could I ask some of the more experienced edf modellers ………. does that sound like a fair power to weight combination.

with conventional model motor and prop,i would be happy with the figures....this is where I need someone who flys edf models to advise please....

PS..the sabre in the photo didn't get to the field,i had a mishap with it..and it ended in the green bin.....I had to rebuild the model...new fuz mated on to the old wings,tail ...but that's another tale...I hear you think... kulou

ken anderson....ne..1...… EDF dept.

Ken, 14A seems very low!, see my earlier post, my AEO drew 26A on test, I wonder if lack of air intake is causing the low amps? less air to compress, my test was external to the airframe. Can you test it with battery out and canopy hatch off to see if you get a different reading with more airflow?

I note that Banggood have both the FMS and AEO fan units back in stock

Tim

hello Tim, thanks for replying, after the mishap with no 1,i decided to try a different fan.i bought one of the madthrust jobs from hobbyking,the 50mm/3s model its performance claims are within the spec of the AEO edf.its max amps are 18amps it says. When the model is hooked up and tested its throwing out a fair old draft at the back as well as sucking in a fair bit....and trying to leap away from terra firma…..so seems to have plenty umph...but I thought I would enquire on the forum here to see others opinion's...….. then to the field......I expect it will deffo fly once.....when you read T N's flying report he says that it will fly quite happy on half throttle once its defying gravity.....

ken anderson....ne...1...gravity dept.

Just out of interest, I have built and flown the mig with a Banggood fan in it and can report that with just the intakes on the plan applied it sank to the deck so I took the cover off (with the canopy etc attached) and it was transformed and flew successfully with a fair lick of speed. I am now trying to work out a way of getting more air in with the lid on that looks ok but have not come up with an idea yet. I notice that there is a distinct lack of flying videos of aircraft from this plan by Mr Nijhuis and RCME which makes me wonder as to how well it actually flew before it was published. Previous free plans normally had a video of the prototype to observe.

well done there Ian,you echo a lot of my thoughts also,i've attempted to leave as much clear space as possible front to fan area....what about a cheat hole underneath on yours... to allow the thing to feed the air in...… same as you I thought there might have been a bit of feedback,video from its creator also....hope I don't end up with an expensive ornament/hangar queen....

ken anderson...ne...1...ornament in the making dept.

Ken, I have cut a inch and a half square cheat hole just before the fan on the underside of the fuselage but it made no difference and would probably need a louvre type device to guide the air into it but of course you cannot really do that because you land on it. I will probably enlarge the two on the side of the fuselage and try that and if it doesn't work I will place the air frame gently in the skip and call it a day. I think the fact that hardly anybody appears not to have built and flown one speaks volumes.

I am quite far along with my Sabre build with a FMS unit epoxied in [couldn’t buy the AEO unit at the time], and I'm assuming that it will require a larger airflow than the AEO. I’ll make larger side cheater holes by cutting a 25 high by 80 long opening into each side and build a duct over them. I may also replace the block under the wing with a forward facing inlet scoop similar to the P51 or F-16. It’ll be quite the hybrid F-86.

hello glen,i create a folder on my pc,put the pictures in there.then create a folder on the forum albums...example called "sabre".... upload the pics to that and save them. Then post your thread and select the option to post a photo,(the camera sign)go to your album(sabre) and click on which photo you want to include...….. hope that makes a little bit of sense?

ken anderson...ne...1.... bit of sense dept.