Hurricane Building Tips and Plan/Woodpack queries

Advert

This is probably too late to be of much use but, just in case anyone else has yet to undertake the 'Ammonia Challenge' and is looking for alternatives, I can now report that planking the upper fuselage is a perfectly viable approach.

I used 3/32" balsa and no additional formers were required. The following series of pics shows the general approach.

img_1769.jpg

img_1774.jpg

img_1776.jpg

img_1777.jpg

It still needs a second sanding, and there will be a little bit of filling to be done, but it seems to be shaping up okay.

Trevor

In a vain attempt to keep the Hurricane off the pork pies I have moved my battery forward by approximately 45mm and it now sits within the spinner.

20180809_002658.jpg

20180809_002724.jpg

20180809_002748.jpg

I cut a hole in F1 to line up with the inside of the battery tube and epoxyed in a ply extension box which sits 50mm inside the existing battery box and projects 45mm forward of F1. I had to sand off the corners of the extension to fit inside the spinner. I hope that my remaining balancing weights will fit on the front/sides of the battery box extension.

Good plan. Looks like you are well into the covering phase too Chris. Do you plan to glue the spinner on permanently? I'm still toying with the idea of having mine removable to get access to the battery connection instead of using a switch. However, if it's going to have to be full of lead. . . .!

Posted by Trevor on 09/08/2018 06:53:11:

Good plan. Looks like you are well into the covering phase too Chris. Do you plan to glue the spinner on permanently? I'm still toying with the idea of having mine removable to get access to the battery connection instead of using a switch. However, if it's going to have to be full of lead. . . .!

Hi Trevor. I intend to epoxy the spinner on after the painting is finished. There is only about a 6mm ring of F1a to glue to F1 but as there is no extra weight in the spinner I think that will be enough. The extended box touches the inside of the spinner too so should provide a little support for pitchy landings. Anything worse and I'm probably looking at nose repairs anyway!

Since the battery is now nearly 2" further forward I am tempted to use a hall effect switch in the forward fuselage instead of extending the power wires all the way back to an appendage to use as a switch. RX is probably going up front on top of the original battery box. Every little helps!

• 3 weeks later...