Wiring up a twin glow engine

Hi I need weight at the front of my twin engine plane lots of it to achive C.G so I was thinking to put in a remote glow start with 2 battery and a switch so that i can start engine and turn off when running and charge when need it. I don't want to connect to the rx just start stop and charge.I belive that 2 battery will do is this but how do you do it. A diagram will be brilliant and will it work?. Or there is another way to do it

Thank in advance for any help

Advert

Just a couple of thoughts. As you'll be driving two glow plugs simultaneously, make sure that the battery or batteries are of decent quality and can supply at least 3A without the voltage collapsing. The high capacity C cells are often only able to source a couple of amps before their terminal voltage drops to well under 1.2V and will give no end of trouble. Found this out the hard way! I've also come across some D cells that are just smaller cells hidden in a D size casing!

Edited By Cuban8 on 09/03/2018 17:05:47

Posted by Steve J on 09/03/2018 14:58:05:

Get a tagged C or D NiHM cell. Wire the negative terminal to both engine bodies and a charge connector (I would use an XT30 or XT60). Wire the positive terminal to a decent switch and the charge connector. Wire from the other side of the switch to the glow plugs. I would use a bit of terminal strip to connect the wire to the plug (solder the wire into one side and heat shrink over). I would be tempted to also fit a LED to indicate when the glows are live.

Steve

How to retain connector on plug would help

The two glows in series will require the voltage from two batteries in series to drive the correct current through them. With a single cell driving two plugs in parallel, it's the current drawn that's doubled and shared between the plugs. In both cases the voltage across the individual plugs will be that of a single cell.

Edited By Cuban8 on 09/03/2018 17:58:46

Thanks to all you good people

So let me get this straight

I am not interested in a on board glow start connected to my receiver but just a stand alone on a simple swich

So am i wright to do it like this

2 sub cell say 2000mah Negative to positive to make 3 volt put a heavy duty swich with built in charging socket and LED at each negative and positive (as per diagram above) so that the batterys can be charged

but where or how do i connect

the glow plugs X2 to as i can only see 1 positive at the end of the circuit

Do i just split the only positive in to 2 and connect to each glow plug!

Lets not forget the swich need to charge the batteries on the off position and swich on the glow plugs x2 on the on position

Sorry for been thick electronics is just not my thing

Hope i am not driving you lot mad but thank again

Just get an on board glow driver unit like this cheap and work you just need two but they did do a twin one but I can't see it at the moment. I have used these to make a glow driver box to start all my engines using a old lipo i had, last ages and the box has 2 so I can start my twin cylinder glow engines too.

you can't buy the components to make your own driver for the price

Posted by Giuseppe Saroli on 10/03/2018 08:27:01:

Thanks to all you good people

So let me get this straight

I am not interested in a on board glow start connected to my receiver but just a stand alone on a simple swich

2 sub cell say 2000mah Negative to positive to make 3 volt put a heavy duty swich with built in charging socket and LED at each negative and positive (as per diagram above) so that the batterys can be charged

Lets not forget the swich need to charge the batteries on the off position and swich on the glow plugs x2 on the on position

Sorry for been thick electronics is just not my thing

Hope i am not driving you lot mad but thank again

Yes Giuseppe, use the One Black cable bolted to the motor as the " common earth ", incorporated in tag on the engine bolts

The RED is then split as you say to the two plugs

For convention, put the switch in the " live wire " ( red),

But it will of course work either way

A simple method which I used in the past was to use a separate sub c cell for each motor, wired in series with toggle switches operated by a piano wire loop fitted to the throttle linkages. Just as the throttle closes fully the switch toggles over to turn on the glow. It remains that way until about half throttle is reached when it toggles back again to switch off. Enough power to start a motor but a boost socket to connect an external power source is a good idea; also used as a charge socket.

Ensure that the throttle is left open when not in use.

Posted by Giuseppe Saroli on 10/03/2018 08:27:01

Lets not forget the swich need to charge the batteries on the off position and swich on the glow plugs x2 on the

Hi Giuseppe.  No . If you connect two "c" cells in series (+ to -) you will blow your glow plugs as 3volt or nearly four when fully charged will be running in the circuit. Wire your batteries in parallel + to + and - to - this will give you the required capacity at 1.2 volts ,what glow plugs are designed to run on. Simply run positive to plug terminals and negative to crankcases for earth and fit a switch and charge lead into circuit. You can get "D" cells up to 7000 or 8000mah that will run two glow plugs for a couple of hours no problem. I used one of these for onboard glow on a ASPTwin with no problems.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 10/03/2018 10:13:46

Ok thanks again but i am stiil confused because on Paul diagram there are 2 battery c cell in +to- this is parallel i belive! wright

As the doctor said (no this is not the way to do it it)but if i get 2 cheap c cell say 2000mha each and wire them up as (+ to+) witch give me 1 positive to split one for each glow plug and (-to-) give me 2 negative with can be connected to to engine and there for my 2 battery become 4000mah this sound good and it make sense i think this is called in series wright!

But were do i put the heavy duty switch with built in charging socket on this circuit so that when is off i can charge the batterys and when i switch on it supplys both glow plug

I could do with a diagram cose i am more confuded than before

Do i do parralel or series that is the question now

Or do i just 2 separate circuit get one battery for each glow ( that is 2 battery) and share the earth connected to engine basically 2 circuit

Again if i do it this way where do i put the switch x1 for this 2 circuit as i dont want to use 2 switches

Gosh if i had a brain i wont be bothering you lot but thanks again

I presume that Giuseppe has a motor in each wing. Why complicate matters by putting the cells and plugs in series? That would mean running heavy duty wiring between each one. Similarly for using the cells in parallel, no advantage whatsoever and a very bad idea with NiMh.

I shall try to draw out on paper, photograph and put on here my tried and tested method, no electronics needed.

Paul i can see the engine running but i would prefer to see how how is wired up

I need weight up front and lots of it other wise i just going to use 2 glow sticks to start the engine witch is a ASP 160 new and i think a glow driver is not required if set properly not like my old os 120 gemini mk1 witch would cut out on long tick over, so got a just engine twin glow driver and is now a beautifully behaved engine and never cuts out

All i want is useful weight up front smiley