Sunglasses for rc flying

cymaz

Several issues arise (again). I know a bit about tinted and polarised lenses as I have fished for 55+ years and fishermen make aeromodellers look like amateurs in the tackle-tarting business. I've been through most of them, starting with Polaroid, via Costas, Oakley, Smiths etc including some pretty expensive stuff.

Pre-recession I fished in the Bahamas for bonefish three times. They are notoriously difficult to see so we all took every pair of glasses we had and we struggled like mad. All the guides were wearing Smiths; we emptied the lodge shop and the second year we had a couple of pairs each. Subsequently a pal fished on a different island where everyone swore by Maui Jims, which we'd tried and swore at.

Lesson 1; light is very funny. Bear in mind that a sight fisherman needs one thing only and that's glare control, although colour filters can help. Different water = different light. I stick to the Smiths as the best all-round FOR FISHING. I wouldn't risk them for flying. It's hard enough when I know which is up and down.

Most of the middle market, I believe all the Ray Bans, Oakleys, Costas etc all come out of the same Italian factory. Many will be identical lenses but with different names.

Lesson 2; try them first.

Last week in bright clear sunshine, the light was "funny" and it was to do with contrast rather than brightness per se. To my eyes, the amber/yellow/contrast/night vision shade improves contrast best though I know some clay shooters favour orange.

Lesson 3; refer to 2 above.

Finally, and I didn't start this; common denominators of aeromodellers 2018; early cataracts, optical glasses (hence my preference for overglasses; see previous thread; can still read the screen) and some form of skin issues, solar dermatoses, BCCs or worse SCCs, Efudix, vitiligo etc. In my case, fair haired blond with blue eyes, days spent on top of the old Winter Shed at Headingley with no hat, etc; now means F 50 and wide brim Tilley and that's on dull days. The quack asserts that a tan is skin reacting to an excess of ultra-violent light.

Yours in gloom,

BTC

Posted by Dickw on 30/04/2018 10:24:51:

My choice is prescription yellow tint for thermal following to the limits of my vision or flying in winter low light conditions, plus these clip-on flip up/down of a darker tint for when I have to fly into the sun.

Dick

They're the people that I got my yellow polarizing clip-ons from recently, quality product and quick service.yes

Hi Peter , you're not the only one,of course, I just got sunglasses ... cheap, light but my wife has an objection ... says, with them, I look like a "criminal" ... possible......nerd but no flash or scars on the nostrils and in the dusk I have an excellent contrast.

**LINK**

Regards

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 30/04/2018 14:00:35

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 30/04/2018 14:02:36

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 30/04/2018 14:03:38

Hi everyone,

Having a few eye problems I have discussed the problem of the best sunglasses for model flying with my optician. Here is his opinion.

We have two main problems, seeing models against the glare and the damage UV does to our eyes.

Having tried several types we found the best compromise to be yellow filters which limit UV as used by skiers/mountaineers.

Unfortunately these days I need very dark lenses to prevent more UV damage adding to my cataracts, which should ensure that light cannot sneek in from the side. Apparently UV levels can be high even under cloud.

I hope this helps1

Steve

I hate having to wear anything on my face or head.. unfortunately, I have to wear reading glasses now that I'm classed as middle-aged. These also serve well as eye protection when starting a model

I now only wear quality brown tinted polaroids for driving, in bright sunlight and when it's very cloudy and there is too much light in the sky. Polaroids cut through the glare especially from the surface of water so are excellent for fishing too. Brown is the best colour as it produces the most natural colours, though it does make the greens pop nicely.

I also use a pair of cheap yellow tinted night driving glasses for flying on dull days. They are extremely good and help brighten everything up and aid visibility. They were bought for a few pounds on ebay (China). We are lucky at our flying field as the sun is always behind us. I have tried them at night and they do work making oncomming headlights appear yellow. The French did get something right. I hate the brightness from modern car headlights. Xenon and fake Xenon's. I just find it so inconsiderate. Sometimes I get so infuriated I tend to drive at them with my beams on. Depends on my mood

I have had many different sunglasses over the years, Rayban Aviators, Oakleys and Rose Tinted supercool ones. The best for driving were Serengti. Very hard to get now.

Sore, tired gritty eyes are down to dryness so my GP says, so I use moisturising eye drops in hot summer weather.

Edited By ASH. on 30/04/2018 19:47:22

Edited By ASH. on 30/04/2018 19:50:15

Hi Tbone, Don't know if this is of interest but you don't need dark tints to block UV. UV isn't in the visible spectrum and is very effectively blocked by the vast majority of clear spectacle lenses used these days. Extra coatings can be added to block all UVA and UVB but they are clear too. Tinted lenses simply absorb visible light making things look darker. Different colours give different visual effects but wearing lenses that are too dark in inappropriate situations can be a nuisance or even dangerous such as when driving in poor light.

HTH

John.

I'd be very wary of driving at night with yellow 'driving glasses' - after an accident, and given how picky the insurance companies are these days (rightly so in most cases) they'd be looking for a get out. Even excessively tinted lenses worn during daylight could be a problem.

**LINK**

This morning I called in for a chat with my optician. I explained the situation.

He said that the best colour for contrast was the American Grey/green developed for aviators in the 30s.

He gave me a lens to take out side. The sky was grey clouds.What the lens did was change an even gray cloud into a very varied shade of gray proving that it did add contrast to even slight variations in shade.

He also said that polarised lenses are only good for reflected light of the ground. no point if you are only looking at the sky.

In his opinion yellow was just too bright for use.

I am now going to look for gray/green clip on glasses/

Interesting advice, Peter.

Personally, I think that polarising lenses do help a little when the sun is high and there are lots of clouds around, because they dull the distracting contrast between the clouds and the bright blue sky (the background light is slightly polarised whereas the light scattered from clouds is not).

But these things can be very much down to personal perception. A view can be perceived to be much clearer than before, but it is difficult to explain how it is better to the person standing next to you. Everyone's eyes are different.

I started wearing wrap-around over-glasses this year, and they have totally transformed my flying. The orientation of the model in turns is so much clearer than before, and the associated boost in confidence that goes with this has improved my ability.

Of course, there could be a placebo effect. Who knows? I suspect that a big part of the improved view is the dark frames blocking the peripheral light - especially when the sun is at the side. A bit of 'tunnel-vision' is good in this respect. The other great thing about wrap around over-glasses is that they keep the wind out - no more watery eyes.These last two points have nothing to do with the colour and polarisation of the lenses, obviously!

As above, I find glasses that keep the wind out to be the most useful.

Cycling sunglasses tend to come with a couple of different tint lenses and are usually good at keeping wind out. The wraparound style, reduces contrast from the peripheral vision which again does wonders.

Have had a pair of prescription Innovators from Rapid eyeware for over 12yrs (got them done at the RC hotel, same day service). They were getting long in tooth and a few small changes in prescription over the years, so just nipped online last week, entered prescription details, and bobs your aunties live in lover, they arrived today.. £80.. 4 sets of different/coloured lens.. wrap round to keep wind out... cant go wrong. Heres to another 12yrs!

Edited By extra slim on 03/05/2018 16:05:24

Posted by Nigel R on 02/05/2018 12:50:02:

Cycling sunglasses tend to come with a couple of different tint lenses and are usually good at keeping wind out. The wraparound style, reduces contrast from the peripheral vision which again does wonders.

Are they the ones that only transmit yellow and green?....................sorry laughlaugh

These had arrived when I got back from flying Saturday...

Glasses

Frames seem very sturdy. Nose pads are big rubber pads and the bridge is screwed into the frame. Very comfortable to wear. Nice hard case and a cloth and bag. Inside the cloth was a screwdriver! Will try them out today and report back, it’s going to be very sunny so might end up wearing my dark tint driving sunglasses as the yellow ones were going to be for cloudier days....we shall see!