The Ohmen

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

David, I don't see why not and for me the sign of a "good" design is a wide flight envelope with well mannered stall characteristics.

• Control throws change it from quite benign to very lively
  • Good low speed performance
  • Seems to be robust design that will take a few knocks (simple UC design that will stand a few less than perfect landings)
  • Runs of the common and cheap 3S200 lipo
  • Designed for electric so battery access is quick and easy

So IMHO if you want you first low winger on the sporty side its the Ohmen...but if you want something larger and with slightly less aerobatic (and only slightly) performance and equal or better stall characteristics then Lindsey Todd's Renaissance is a nice build and great flyer although the pilot is a right animal!

Ohmen

20200516_100836.jpg

Renaissance

20190801_182212.jpg

If the weather is nice I'll fly them back to back and see if I can split the difference wink

PS - for windier conditions I give the Renaissance the edge due to increased mass and wingspan.

Edited By Chris Walby on 10/07/2020 06:27:09

Posted by David Clark 18 on 10/07/2020 03:14:10:

Do you think the Ohmen would make a good model for the transition from high to low wing flying.

Agree with Chris that Renaissance would be a good choice. Here is mine. She really is nice to flyimg_6593.jpg

Or if you want a kit build then how about a SLEC Fun Fly. Not low wing but mid wing. This has been my lockdown model build. Flys well and can be IC or electric.rmac 2020 058.jpg

Or perhaps Ballerina from Pete Millers fold.img_5283.jpg

Posted by David Clark 18 on 10/07/2020 08:50:32:

Thanks for the reply and your suggestions. They are all of interest, is the Renaissance designed for electric, I have a number of 3s 2200 and 3700 batteries which made the ohmen very attractive.

No Renaissance was originally designed for IC but a lot have gone electric. Lindsay Todd the designer also did a biplane named Skywriter for electric, mine was converted to IC. Ballerina was designed for IC but a lot were converted to Electric. There are build forums on both of these as they were subjects of RCM&E Mass builds in 2016 and 17. You can get plans and pre cut parts from SARIK on all these. 20180512_080839.jpg

Posted by Peter Miller on 10/07/2020 10:48:14:

I did convert my own originl Ballerina to electric. 4-Max 3541 1070 motor. I felt that it could have done with a fraction more power but then I really like to throw my models all over the sky.

4-Max recommend that motor here with a 3s 3300mAh LiPo, which power-wise is a little conservative for a 4.25Lb model perhaps. Presumably that is what you used Peter and fine for stooging about and a gentle flight performance. Fit a 4s LiPo battery in the same model and prop it so as not to exceed the 33A continuous (the motor is rated for) and the model could be transformed performance-wise. One advantage of electric flight is that it can be so flexible. Perhaps even better would be to use a similar sized motor with a slightly lower Kv (750kv?) on a 4s LiPo and not have to use a smaller prop to keep the amps under control - more efficient and better for aeros. 

Perhaps one like this? Motor 6mm longer, but will turn a 12x6 on a 4s LiPo without exceeding the max cont. 29A (in this case) presumably.

just my 2p worth.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 10/07/2020 11:59:30

Ballerina is a great model to fly and would fit the bill for a 1st low winger in my opinion. Mine has OS52 for power which is more power that the prototype had. She goes well. Has very nice take off and landing manners. I did a few mods to Peter's plan in that I inverted my engine and used 2 aileron servos instead of a single in the centre

However I have been impressed by my Fun Fly as well. Nice kit and easy to build. Just what I needed for lockdown. Used a 20 year old ASP46.

The choice is yours David

Cheers

Peter (Low Pass Pete)

David, I have both the Ballerina and Ohmen, both electric powered. They are both excellent fliers, but I would agree with Peter that the Ballerina would be marginally the better first low winger. Being bigger it is not only easier to see, but is also just that bit "steadier" and being heavier will also handle wind gusts better.

As well as electrifying mine, I gave it an Ohmen style fuselage mounted u/c, just my personal preference as it's more forgiving of bad landings.

Mine goes well on a 3s 4000mAh setup with a 900kV motor pulling around 450W using a 12x(I think 6) prop.

ballerina 003.jpg

ballerina 001.jpg

Another of our mass build has flown - I missed the maiden a week or two ago but the builder was extremely pleased with the performance after I suggested trying a 4S battery this afternoon in the light of my trying the same earlier with one I've been trimming for a friend. This transforms the model from a pleasant flying model to a "high grin factor" fun machine!

img_0252.jpg

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/07/2020 22:28:50

David, yes I used film to make the battery hatch hinge on the Ballerina.

Martin, love that colour scheme. I've used those US inter-war colours on a few sport models over the years. It looks good, gives good visibility in the air, and the basic markings are easy to make from film. Don't feel the need for 4 cells though!

Posted by Peter Miller on 12/07/2020 07:56:40:

Based n the way mine flies on a 3S I would say that using a 4S battery one would need ones Pampers on!!

Not necessarily Peter. By running it at a higher voltage, lower Amps can be drawn for the same power, depending on the prop used. This keeps the motor cooler and is usually more efficient, leading to longer flight times and a happier motor teeth 2. Alternatively when in 'hooligan modedevil' one can take advantage of more power available for aeros. The choice is yours.

Either way Peter, it is a testiment to your design skills that Ballerina flies so well on a 3s setup.yes