The Ohmen

We are going to have a winter 'Mass build' at my club and so far we have 6 members that have signed up, we are going to build 'The Ohmen'.

In the spirit of being 'Green' does anyone have a copy of the plan that they would be willing to post? Cost of postage paid of course. I could go along to the local copy shop and have a run of 6 printed but would rather use a plan that has already been printed if possible.

Advert

As Chris Larkins mentioned above, our club has decided to run a mini mass build this winter and so far, 14 members have verbally committed to the idea - and no arms [except mine] have yet been twisted!

While I have little interest in building an electric powered model, I do have an OS 20FS which I've been looking for a home for - so as a committee member who ought to make the effort to show willing and join in, I have hatched [or as will be apparent a little further on, perhaps more correctly de-hatched] a cunning plan.

I have had the plans scaled to 40" wingspan by the second Chris and after taking various measurements I've drawn up slight changes to them to accommodate engine bearers to mount the engine inverted. By moving F2 slightly forwards, a blue SLEC tank [shouldn't be any lack of duration!] will fit at a perfect height allowing space for a receiver battery under it if it needs to be forward for the C of G. I will delete the spruce rails and the removable hatch and use 1/16" ply doublers to help absorb any engine vibration.

Not having done any comparative calculations, I'm not sure yet whether the tail will need the "heavying" mods so I might retain the built up tail or just go for sheet surfaces and add lightening holes as necessary.

Hopefully the less than fire breathing but very cute little engine should swing a 9 or 10 inch prop with sufficient authority for decent performance - time will tell on that but Peter's observation that a 26 will power a full size version adequately gives me reasonable confidence.

P.S. As it's a minimised glow powered Ohmen, I intend to name mine The Gloamin'

Edited By Martin Harris on 19/10/2019 02:23:06

Just a little taster Peter...

20191021_232230.jpg

I've gone all traditional using hardwood bearers - mainly through laziness in leaving F1 in its original location.  The engine mounting bolts will be either side of F1 and I've extended the bearers to the front of the cowl to help support its construction blocks.

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/10/2019 23:55:55

I haven't finalised the spelling yet - I was also thinking of Glohmen to maintain the direct link to the original name. In fact the idea of Gloamin' only came to me while I was typing the first post and thought the spelling looked a bit odd...

I'll bear the suggestion in mind but there's plenty of wood to cut and glue before I make any final decision.

I took a photo once of the 20 sitting alongside my ASP 180 which is a direct relation through its clone origins and it looked like a model of a model engine...

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/10/2019 11:30:46

Posted by Martin Harris on 28/10/2019 21:52:29:

Hi Peter,

Just wondering why you went for the separate spar depth wing joiners instead of the more conventional single piece full depth version I've seen in one of the pictures of your prototype?

Do you know, I can't remember why...but then it was several models ago!! I probably had a good reasondont know

I hope you don't mind then, but I'm intending modifying mine to incorporate a single piece joiner which seems easier to assemble than 2 small joiners and [no doubt quite needlessly] stronger across the join, only resulting in adding a tiny extra amount of 1/16" ply close to the C of G. Assisting this was the fact that the joiners are drawn in their correct position relative to each other on the plan so simply needed filling in between them before cutting them out!

• 2 weeks later...

The GLOhmen is taking shape with just a couple of small jobs to complete the woodwork and fitting out but I may deliberately put it on hold soon until nearer our club exhibition in the spring - the temptation to fly it over the winter will be just too great and I'd like it to be in pristine condition for the event. I've yet to decide on a colour scheme and on top of which, as we're trying to encourage less experienced/new plan builders in the club, it may help to be able to show the more intimate details in answer to any questions arising.

20191107_105857.jpg

I'm strongly considering making a canopy which I think might set it off rather well - a quick preview with a somewhat too small one from my spares drawer looks rather attractive to my eyes...

20191105_174433.jpg

We've already got at least half a dozen Ohmen builds under way and are actively trying to encourage others to join in. At least one other is being reverse engineered to IC - in that case a 30 FS at normal size rather than my 85% version.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if this has already been covered but I have a query about the wing braces/joiners. The golden rule with paper plans is to go by dimensions rather than measurement but I've noticed rather retrospectively that the spar slots shown for R1 and the inboard R2s clearly appear to be an extra 1/8" wide to accommodate the wing joiners.

However, both the printed dimension and plan view of the wing joiner appear to agree that these parts are made from a single layer of 1/16" ply.

I've made mine with a single piece 1/16" joiner but I'm confident that the full depth would more than make up for any lack of strength if the intention was to use what would be effectively 1/4" by 1/8" strips.

What was the original designed thickness of the wing joiners/dihedral braces?

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/11/2019 23:46:45

My original plans and the magazine plans state 1/16" ply joiners. These have proved adequately strong.

These have been proved with a lot of flying and one very hard thump.

Sometimes the person who redraws my original drawings makes a few errors.

Don't forget that the dihedral braces only form a small part of the strength of the joint. The whole area of joining the two wings is part of that joint and then the covering adds even more strength. and Moderate to say the least The omen is a very light model so G forces will be light.

I have a G meter and one of my bigger i.c powered models was put into a terminal velocity dive and the pulled out with full up elevator.

It recorded 24.8G which meant that in effect during the pull out it weighed over 90 lbs.

• 3 months later...

I decided to pinch the OS26 from my Peacemaker and fit it to mine. As usual there was a little more to it than I anticipated including making a new cowl which does not quite follow the right nose line due to having to use a couple of the original engine mount screw holes. The finished job looks OK ish.

Even though I used a 5 cell Eneloop as far back as possible the cg is a tad forward at the moment but fine for a test flight.

Some pics.

ohmen 003.jpg

ohmen 001.jpg

ohmen 004.jpg

ohmen 005.jpg

ohmen 002.jpg

Mine's finished too - but we've just had to postpone our annual pre-season model show, due to be held next week, which was to feature a club mass-build where we've managed to encourage a number of first time builders over the winter with great results. I had been holding back until I could post photos of the expected crop of Ohmens posed together...

20200310_162436.jpg 20200310_162457.jpg

Mine was scaled down to 40" wingspan to facilitate the use of a little OS20FS which has been looking for a home - hence the GLOhmen 40 decal - and this is my take on mounting the engine in this electric powered design - the removable cowling was deleted and I provided captive nuts in wooden bearers passing through a slightly relocated F1 to F3:

20200316_194218.jpg

C of G wise, this gives a clue to the location of the receiver battery...

20200316_194228.jpg

Hopefully the bumper bundle of Ohmens will get together once the Coronavirus dust has settled.

• 4 weeks later...

Who says the art of building is dying?

As mentioned previously, our club decided to hold a mass build over the winter and we've collected pictures of the product of the exercise (I'm assured that the last one is basically an Ohmen). There are at least two more at an earlier stage of construction as well which I don't have pictures of. This means that almost a quarter of the membership are directly involved.

What is particularly gratifying is that among the models shown, at least 4 are from novice builders and may not be the ones you might think - let's hope they are inspired to continue with this aspect of the hobby!

53 a - martin impey - in progress - ohmen.jpg70 a - tim eastgate - ohmen.jpeg62 b - derek webb - ohmen.jpg69 b - sue walby - ohmen.jpg60 a - brian lawrence - ohmen.jpg68 a - mick eames - ohmen.jpg61 a - dave parsons - ohmen (miles magister).jpg63 c - harry atkin - ohmen.jpg67 a - martin harris - ohmen.jpg66 a - john williams - ohmen.jpg64 a - james atkin - ohmen.jpg65 b - joe beavis - ohmen.jpg71 c - stephen edge - ohmen.jpg

Peter - thanks for providing the design...now we just need to get the chance to fly them!

Thank you for all those pictures. A wonderful mass build.

I really like to see people adding their own customization to the models and there an some people have had real fun with that.

And a really big congratulations to Sue Walby. It is really good to seee a lady building models.

I shall look forward tohearing how the flying goes once the dreaded Lurgi has gone.

I wil say that it does give me a big lift to see one of my plans being apreciated so much.

THANKS

• 1 month later...