The Ohmen

Hi Geoff.

So glad that you are happy with the Ohmen. I love it too.

Last Friday I took it up to a dot in the sky and could see it clearly and exactly what it was doing. None of the other club member could see more than a dot and didn't know what it was doing.

Yes, The OHmen is a bit light for much wind although I have flown it in over 10 mph wind.

• 3 weeks later...

I look in Charity shops occasionally.

I once picked up a mint Voigtlander Bessa1 camera for a tenner....sold it for over £60 on Ebay so I can believe it.

I keep meaning to do more of that.

If you watch Flog It and Antiques Roadshow they are always coming up with massive bargains found in Charity shops and Car boot sales

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Percy Verance on 14/02/2019 20:55:15:

I just ordered a set of Ohmen lazer cut parts from Sarik today. How long am I likely to wait for UK delivery, anyone?

I might go for the Vertigo parts in a month or two. I last flew a Vertigo in about 1974.........but next time round it'll be electric.

Edited By Percy Verance on 14/02/2019 21:02:08

Percy, I have not received the ASK-11 CNC parts set I ordered on the 20th January from Sarik. The rate I build it is really not an issue, plenty of other stuff to keep me busy. I suggest you give them a ring and ask them yourself how long you Ohmen will be. Just tell them your building board is empty and you are having withdrawal symptoms as you are not getting your building 'fix'! I think they have a bit of a backlog at present after their sale but I usually find them pretty helpful so maybe they will pull their finger out for you.

Yes, the ribs are easy but the formers are more fiddly - I cheated and got my father-in-law to cut them out with his electric fretsaw! Would certainly consider the Sarik parts if I were building another, but I'm a lazy so-and-so.

Interesting comment on the sheet tail Peter. I built mine as per plan, but another alternative is to use a 1/16 sheet core, then 1/16 ribs and outline either side of it. Probably negligable weight saving over solid sheet, but stronger than the skeletal version while maintaining the built-up appearance, if that matters.

Edited By Trevor Crook on 15/02/2019 23:11:17

• 1 month later...

I have decided to try a mod. on the fin/rudder because application of rudder pushes the tail up, not down. This prevents mine from performing an upright spin (it will do inverted ones), also I have found it very noticeable on take off if using a lot of rudder, when the nose gets pushed down. What I have done is to angle the top of the fin rearwards by 3/4" to give it some rake back and make a new rudder, keeping the area of it the same. This worked on single channel models in years of yore so that they could be `buttoned up` by waggling the rudder just after launch. Just finished the mod. so will let you know soon if it works.

ohmen.jpg

That is interesting. I had not noticed that.

However I remember a discussion with Alistair Sutherland (I hope I got that right, it was a long time ago) WE where discussing Knife edge flight and he said that when the elevator extends over the area of the rudder the model tended to pitch nose down in knife edge.