The Ohmen

Hi Trevor,

I purchased the Chinese made K40 Laser cutter for AU$525 and am in the midst of doing all the recommended modifications like replacing the cutting table and adding the air assist to improve the cuts.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40W-CO2-USB-Laser-Engraving-Engraver-Cutter-Woodworking-300x200mm-Movable-Wheel/192672721621?hash=item2cdc306ad5:g:vwEAAOSwIDZbOy1F:rk:19f:0

The 40 watt laser is perfect for cutting balsa and ply and the whole unit measures 800x500x300mm however you also need to take into account the added room for the exhaust and water tank for cooling.

What I like so much about the K40 is the ability to make improvements as it is well supported by a good maker community with a plethora of Youtube videos.

The only drawback is the cutting dimensions are only 200 x 300mm so for some larger parts I need to split them into two or even three sections.

Another good reason to have access to the laser cutter is if I smash the plane then it should be much easier to do a rebuild without to much angst.

I like the Ohmen as there is no need to produce any canopy or cowl molds for vacuum forming but should the need arise I also have access to a 3D printer.

I would look forward to share my DXF files with anyone wishing to use the K40 to do build off the plan.

If you think this could be of any benefit let me know and I will be sure to post them when I have finished the build.

Cheers,

Dean

Posted by Peter Miller on 17/11/2018 21:03:54:
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 17/11/2018 19:30:26:

For the Ohmen you just need a balsa knife, a David plane, a saw and some sandpaper.

It does help if you have a power fretsaw. But then I am lazy!

I have that courtesy of Aldi (plus few beer tokens ) but I find I use my small Axminster band saw a lot more. The Aldi disc bench sander helps in correcting slight sawing errors too.

It's not laziness, Peter. It's being economical with effort yes

Geoff

Power tools are essential.

I don't have many, the scroll saw, a power drill,a couple of Dremel type drills and an orbital sander which I never use.

One of the ones that doesn't get a great deal of use but is a fantasic energy saver is my little Bosch power screwdriver.

I even use it for screwing on the wings of my models these days.

Edited By Peter Miller on 18/11/2018 08:11:10

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my Ohmen is ready to go - needs a spinner to finish it off and good weather when I have free time. Peter's pictures of his model reminded me a bit of a Miles Magister with those tandem cockpits. Hence, as I had plenty of Hobbyking yellow film and some leftover foamy warbird roundels, I've made a cartoon Magister

p1010431.jpg

p1010428.jpg

With a cartoon pilot of course!

p1010429.jpg

Here's the battery access. I've used a dowel at the front and magnets at the back. Trust me Peter, that hatch is never going to detach in flight, I can pick the model up by the headrest!

p1010430.jpg

The 2200 3s LiPo sits in front of the block of balsa on the back of the battery tray, held down by a Velcro strap. Power measurement gives about 400W, the model weighs 3lb (inc. battery) so it should go ok. Peter, the quoted weight in the article is 2lb 10oz. Is that sans battery, or have I just built heavy? I'm not too worried either way, there's plenty of wing.

Can't wait to try her, will report back when I have.

Maidened mine (shown above) this morning. As expected, no issues, she's a great flier. I've propped it for about 320W full throttle (12x7) and performance is good, just short of unlimited verticle. Take-offs can be done on little more than half throttle. Nicely aerobatic and a doddle to land.

Well done again Peter!

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 08/12/2018 14:11:55:

Just received the AliExpress hole cutters which I have tried on birch and light ply. Pretty good at a little over £4 for ten assorted.

They do look good and , at that price, worth a punt even for a tool used only occasionally. I have a lot of tools I don't use often but, when I do use them, I'm glad they're in the drawer.

I think you should try one on a tile and report back

Geoff

PS I forgot to congratulate Trevor on a successful test flight of his fine looking Ohman.  The winds were very light here today but it was cold and damp with it and only something like a quick test flight would have tempted me.  I'm afraid if the temperature is in single figures I stay in these days

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 10/12/2018 17:16:23

I wrapped up well Geoff! The sun was peeping through and as the wind was light it didn't feel too cold. As there were more than a dozen of us lucky retirees at the field I did as much chatting as flying! Two enjoyable flights with the Ohmen and another two with the excellent Flightline Bearcat made for an excellent morning.

• 4 weeks later...

Happy new year Peter, following on from my Peggy sue 2 build , which as i have told you before flies so well it has prompted 3 other members of my club to build one, I was tempted into building The Ohmen again very easy to build costs next to nothing in wood and lecy bits. and flyes just as good as P.S.2 I think the only negative is because its smaller than PS2 it can be affected more by wind strength,we fly off a field that is always windy and I have noticed that if I take both planes PS2 battles on regardless but the Ohmen struggles, probably because its not got the power of my PS2, but small price to pay as on good days its a pleasure to fly with many good comments from the crowd, I have just put one cockpit on mine , if I had any idea how to put pictures up I would post planes photos, regards geoff.