Blackhorse Hurricane 46

ARC

Andy,

Well I few it today although it was a bit murky there was very little wind, result as it was really nice smiley

Adjustments made prior to flight were:

• Moved clevis's to maximise servo movement for correct control surface throws (as per manual)
  • Moved C of G about 3mm further forwards than manual states
  • It nosed over on taxi after a greaser of a landing (much better than the Wots Wot flight prior!), plus was on high rates as well

Conclusion:

I messed up with too much elevator travel and not enough expo from previous attempts to keep the tail down

Flight on low rates is very sedate and gear + flaps 1/2 caused no issues (although with a bit of head wind it won't be a problem anyway). Full flaps don't look that severe but might make it more work than they are worth as it flies in smoothly anyway.

If you want my TX setting PM me.

Both of us at the field remarked that due to the colour scheme it looked like a silhouette most of the time and I would recommend the maiden on a nice bright day until you get used to it!

Thanks to Jon and Martin for their helpful advice, cheers

PS how are you getting on?

Advert

Hi Chris ,

Thanks for the info above. My kits arrived safely with no issues at all. Servo wise I'm going to use mini hi torques which give the same power and speed but save on weight. The control surfaces are quite small so think it should be ok.

Motor, esc and lipo I'm going with a pulso 4120/18 with a 60 amp esc powered by 2 x 3s 5000mah in series. I'm toying with idea of "spreading "the lipo weight around instead of 6s all lumped on one area. On my bench this combo gives me 1050w at 52 amps on a 14x7 prop so i reckon half throttle will give a spirited performance and not heat up or stress any component.

Retracts i have 120 eflites to drop in which fit nicely and have a decent scale speed as well.

The only thing i dislike is the shiny finish. Going to try some testors dull coat and see if it dulls it down a bit.

Andy,

You probably know already, but just in case I would not be too tempted to have a lot of surplus power (remember power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely!) .

What I mean is mine does swing a bit on take off , but is easily corrected and is off the ground in no time at all. if you have an excessive amount of power it will be more work keeping it under control and the risk of snapping the throttle open and getting swing/roll will be harder to manage.

PS I like my 3 blade prop, looks nice and gives good low speed performance. If I need speed my FF ME109 at 840w/lb will suffice, but boy does it have a wicked roll on launch!

Let us all know how you get on with the build, cheers

Hi Chris,

Yes I'm expecting a decent swing on to the left but should be ok. Fast taxi trials will show highlight any probs.

One thing that i think looks wrong is the nose looks too long and the wheels are too small. Did you opt for larger wheels on yours and re-work the wells ?

Andy,

Fast taxi and you will be flying! Mine has no issues with getting off the deck with no flaps, just be real gentle on the throttle and she will lift off no trouble, in fact keeping the nose down scale like is the hardest bit.

I'll measure the wheel diameter as I am sure mine has larger wheels, but from memory they completely fill the standard wells. wink. Knowing BH there will not be much wood, so if you open the wheel wells up you might end up rebuilding the wing (lesson learnt on another BH model!).

While I remember I needed to put a flat on the oleos so they don't bind on the retracts, just watch out as the oleos are not a thick as you might think crying

If the grass is short I don't get any nose over issues with the wheels I have.

It is still work in progress for me but I would suggest starting off with the C of G further forwards than BH spec (4mm at the moment) but I will try it further forward shortly). It flies ok where it is, but gets all pitchy with the gear down and flaps 1/2 which is not what I want for landing wink. It was blustery Sunday and after a couple of aborted attempts I put the flaps away and landed a bit faster!

All the best

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris,

Kits coming along nicely, retracts are in but not opened up the wells as yet.

Decided to change the front a little as the nose looks too long to me so carved out the cowl a little to allow it to go further back on the fus and reduced motor standoffs to 10mm.

Had to re-trim cowl top portion to allow batt hatch removal but otherwise its not far off completion now . Will get some pics up later

• 4 months later...

I've just acquired one of these and completed last night.

I don't trust the method of retaining the control horns in their respective surfaces so have used bolt through control horns on all the surfaces complete with bbs, changed the wire pushrods in the kit for 16swg piano wire with metal adaptors soldered to them.

I'm using an old saito 82 with an apc 14x6 prop and surprisingly the cg came out spot on though I am using two batteries, one for the rx and flight controls the other with another rx for the retracts and on board glow driver.

The servo leads make a right rat's nest of the interior ; if it survives the maiden I'll change it over to an s-bus installation to do away with multiple servo leads floating round in the fuselage.

Mine comes out at 6 lbs dead when dry.

Just awaiting the right day to maiden it.

Wow, mine is electric and is 6.82 lbs although it carries the additional weight no problem.

I am sure I cut the elevator rates right down as it seemed very pitchy to me so if you have dual rates it would be worth setting something up. If you want my settings just let me know.

Couple of photos would be nice if you have the time, cheers

img_0179.jpgI tried, partially successfully, to tidy up the wiring.

Two of the things that concerned me were the electric retracts and the glodriver.

What I did was use a second rx with just the glodriver and the retracts fitted to it with its own battery. There is no manual switch so I used a petrol engine transmitter control isolating switch plugged into channel 7 on the main transmitter plugged the retracts into ch 5 of the slave rx and the glodriver into channel 7 of the slave rx.

When the airborne radio is switched on I switch channel 7 on and the iso switch allows power from the slave battery into the slave rx, simultaneously the glodriver is switched on as it, too, is on channel 7. The gear is separately switched on ch 5  to pop it up or down. The first pic shows the position of the switch that actually allows power to the glodriver which has to be depressed manually, it cuts out automatically after about 20 secs. The second pic shows where I have installed a soft 3mm balsa shelf and held both receivers on with velcro, the battery ditto. Cables are kept out of the way by holding them on the battery with velcro. The bulk of the cables are tucked up under the shelf, rx1 battery is alongside the tank. I have a 1.0Ah for the rx1 and a 1.1 Ah battery for the slave rx, both batteries are 2 cell LiFe.Somewhere along the line I got a typo in my previous post, should read 7 pounds dead.

img_0176.jpg

Edited By Braddock, VC on 22/11/2018 01:36:52

Edited By Braddock, VC on 22/11/2018 01:38:16

Hope the post adequately explains what I've done, my Horlicks is kicking in now so I'll check again for typos in the morning, already found a couple, my bad.

I tried fitting my laser 80 in the plane but it was too awkward with all the bits behind the cylinder head fouling the firewall so the 82 was popped in, just as well too, it balanced correctly with that engine which is almost a couple of hundred grammes lighter than the laser 80.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 22/11/2018 01:47:03

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this. I've successfully used eMax GT motors for 3 ic to electric conversions recently. I get then from Totem Hobbies.

My DB DH60 Moth weighs probably about what the Hurricane does and flies well on an Emax GT3526/05 and the kv is 710 rpm/volt. The maximum quoted thrust is 3.3kg and it weighs 265 grams. It turns a 13x6 prop at around 8.9k rpm with a 4S LiPo pack.

You may feel like a little more power than the 550 watts I get but this is the area you should be considering. You could go for 5S rather than 4S for instance.

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Still haven't got the hang of idle down and throttle cut on the futaba 14sg, had to abort after setting it up, as I thought, last night.

I'll have a read of my kindle book and see if I can get on top of it.

Apart from that, the systems test went ok, engine started and ran a tank of fuel through, didn't really want to but I had no way of stopping the little devil blush.