World Cup 2018

Devcon1

Don't forgot John Stones scored as many goals as the entire German team before they self destructed....

Tonight will be a curious game...

Will they, won't they (Belgium) play to lose. I think we are too proud a nation to go down that road....

Posted by Devcon1 on 28/06/2018 12:58:42:

Will they, won't they (Belgium) play to lose. I think we are too proud a nation to go down that road....

IMO tonight's game will be a training session for both sides.
I don't think either team will want to risk injury problems.
For instance Vardy to come on for Kane at an early point or even start amongst other substitutions/changes would make sense.

Might be quite a boring match, BEB will probably have an early nap. wink 2

BEB has a small "problemete"! My daughter got her degree result today - 2.1 in Maths not bad at all, very proud of her! Obviously a celebratory meal out is called for tonight - but what about the football?????

Its OK, I have the solution. We will record it, I will not look on here for the result! That way I see the game, and I can fast forward the boring bits (sorry!).

I'm learning that you have to be creative and resourceful to follow football,....

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 28/06/2018 14:08:49:

Its OK, I have the solution. We will record it, I will not look on here for the result! That way I see the game, and I can fast forward the boring bits (sorry!).

It's funny, but I have tried recording, avoiding the result, and watching recordings - both for football and F1 races, and somehow it just isn't the same. Even if I don't know the result. It's some sort of weird irrational psychological effect - I've no idea why. It's almost as if I feel I can influence the result with hopes and cheers if I watch it live...

...like I said, totally irrational!

BEB, enjoy your meal and celebration.

I'd just catch up on the highlights as it's a non game for me other than seeing how each manager approaches selection and substitutions..

My mind is already on the knockout stage and like other teams who have progressed you can only beat the team that is presented to you.

I plumbed all the possible fixtures for England into my diary many months ago so have avoided difficult scenarios but sometimes real life takes precedent.

Looking forward to next week..

Posted by PatMc on 28/06/2018 13:23:50:

Posted by Devcon1 on 28/06/2018 12:58:42:

IMO tonight's game will be a training session for both sides.
I don't think either team will want to risk injury problems.
For instance Vardy to come on for Kane at an early point or even start amongst other substitutions/changes would make sense.

Might be quite a boring match, BEB will probably have an early nap. wink 2

--------                                                          ----------------------

Well, it's half time and if things stay as they are Belgium will have the easier , I suppose, group.

They have more yellow cards. But what a system! Each of the teams would probably like to lose to get the better group next. You'd think FIFA could come up with a better system. To avoid this farce scenarios,It's quite easy. All you do is let the groupnwinner choose which team and group they wish to go on to play.

That way everyone will try to win every match played

Edited By Dave Rose on 28/06/2018 20:06:58

So dull apart from the comedy rebound so time to post.

I agree, the mechanism for the last group game is a bit naff. Would prefer an FA Cup type draw but would imagine team/fan/official logistics would make that impossible.

The optimist in me thinks having a 100% record through the tournament would be unwise.

They have more yellow cards. But what a system! Each of the teams would probably like to lose to get the better group next. You'd think FIFA could come up with a better system. To avoid this farce scenarios,It's quite easy. All you do is let the groupnwinner choose which team and group they wish to go on to play.

So what if Belgium, as group G winners, choose to play Columbia but Columbia, as group H winners choose to play England ?

BEB has a small "problemete"! My daughter got her degree result today - 2.1 in Maths not bad at all, very proud of her! Obviously a celebratory meal out is called for tonight - but what about the football?????

I'm learning that you have to be creative and resourceful to follow football,....

BEB

Congratulations to Biggles's niece, I'm sure her mum, dad & uncle will be proud of her thumbs up

Early night for you then BEB, as you'll know by the time you see this there's nothing on telly worth watching. wink 2

BEB

Somewhat reminiscent of an old episode of 'The Likely Lads'.

Hope you managed to avoid hearing the result…
they didn't!

Posted by PatMc on 28/06/2018 21:22:22:

So what if Belgium, as group G winners, choose to play Columbia but Columbia, as group H winners choose to play England ?

------------------ -------------------------

I hear what you are saying, - in that case, then , let the better record between Belgium and Columbia ( goal diff, yellow cards, or if necessary, draw lots) determine which team chooses. Even if it goes to the awful drawing of lots, it still means that teams will try to win each match they play?

Dave, I don't think your proposed system is any more satisfactory than what exists. Ideally all 16 final group stage games should kick of at the same time (as per our domestic leagues' final games) but the logistics rule this out. IMO it doesn't really matters who a team's opponents will be in the KO stages in so far as they will always attempt to win. But, as I predicted, if both teams have already qualified they'll do exactly what England & Belgium did.

IMO the two top seeded teams in each group should meet in either the first or second game then at least one of them will not be guaranteed a place in the KO round at the start of their third game & one or both of the lower seeded teams will have an incentive to win. Off course if the results don't follow the seeding predictions ...

Can't win as a manager, win your first two n qualify for the knockouts, pundits on tv start waffling about momentum (what's Corbyn got to do with it), play your strongest side someone gets injured, you're an idiot and should have rested them. Normal stuff. Pundits ? which one of em have been successful coaches/managers ? bunch of failures who sulked when criticized themselves.

Easy games/route ? not heard the manager or team saying that, the pundits and media created the noise.

C'mon the Lads.