World Cup 2018

Devcon1

Advert

Positives, we will play a sporting team with respect for officials and the game is entirely winnable. Easier it won't be but the boys have a great attitude so who knows.

Slightly off topic but just watched Fat Les and Vindaloo to lighten the tension.

Forgot who featured in the video.... Roland Rivron, David Walliams, Matt Lucas, Damian Hirst, Keith Allen, Edward Tudor Pole, Lilly Allen, Ricky Grover and one or two others. Makes me smile.

Keep it up on Saturday boys.

I must admit, even if you were nuetral, Columbia did not deserved to win with that many Yellow Cards - what was it in the end 7, 8?

What I can't understand is why the referee didn't just make an example of someone and send them off, that would have sent a strong message and stopped all the nonsense. Or am I being naive? Probably.

BEB

Toothless FIFA is at the root of it all.

The error on the head butt was down to a spineless decision by the VAR official, had the referee been invited to see the incident I'm pretty sure he would have red carded.

The shameful display by the Columbians trying to intimidate the referee should have been at least another sending off, how they get away with it is criminal but it's a Taxi home for Columbia so all is good.

Funnily enough the Columbian press is trashing the referee for his poor performance, how ironic is that given had he been better half of them would have left the pitch.

Posted by john stones 1 on 04/07/2018 11:56:27:

Ugly advert for the game, refs have a thankless task, could very easily have ended up a complete farce.

I totally agree John that the referee clearly had a very difficult job, it's just that my feeling was he could have helped himself by being a little more asertive at points and imposing his authority a bit? It might have calmed things down - who knows.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/07/2018 12:41:07

Rugby, yellow card, cool yer heels for 10 minutes, then all is forgiven. Simples. Dissent for a yellow, becomes red, simples. Dissent for a free kick, 10 meters nearer your goal, simples.

By the way, he is addressed as 'sir', as you agree with him.

We were out yesterday & didn't get home until the match was well underway but anticipating this Mrs Pat had set the PVR to record the entire programme. We were able to watch in time shift mode.& by zipping through the 1/2 time ads, studio chat etc was able to catch up to within 15 - 20 mins of real time.
Then about 2 mins before the end of extra time near disaster - the **** recording ended sad. I realised that it would probably have gone to penalties as I franticaly switch over to direct TV. - got it just in time to see an England player running up to take his penalty - it was Eric Dier scoring the winner !!! teeth 2

So I missed the rest of the shoot out except the ones that didn't score when the were shown again just before the interviews etc - didn't bother to watch or record the shoot out on MOTD.

Posted by Capt Kremen on 04/07/2018 22:06:16:

How was the game reported in Columbia?

Not seen or heard their side of events.

(No I'm not, and do not condone the behaviours displayed but it is always interesting to try and see the perspective of 'the other side'.

They said England are a disgrace and we cheated them from certain victory, Diego Maradona agrees.

I've stopped buying their papers now, hurt my feelings.crying 2