Multiplex Funray

Advert

I have the kit version waiting to be put together. It's typical Mpx quality although I do feel that they've made it over complicated in some areas. Still, according to the flight reports and videos I've seen I'm really looking forward to getting the model airborne sometime over the summer, other projects not withstanding.

I've had my 'FunRay' since the beginning of the year.

It is a superb 'all-rounder'. As the numerous videos testify, it is no slouch and can motor, (when you want it!), is sports aerobatic and with camber flaps, no disgrace in staying aloft with those thermals we're enjoying here in the UK.

Mine is from the kit version, so I was able to equip and assemble with gear I had though did use the available MPX cable kit to save, (for me), fiddly soldering of those MPX 'Green' wing servo aileron and flap servo connectors.

The model is a delight to rig at the field, just plug the wings in and those 'Green' connectors take care of all connections to the total of 4 wing servos i.e. 2 a-side.

The ESC tucks away neatly to one side of the fuselage but Rx location is a fiddle 'stuffing' it down the fuselage inside 'tunnel'.

I use a 3300mAh LiPo flight pack and easily get flights up to 30 mins without really trying.

A very useful and helpful flight addition is the compact single telemetry unit from 'SM Modellbau' called the 'UniSens-E'.

Note: I use this in conjunction with a MPX 'Cockpit' radio equipped with a telemetry capable Rx.

(The SM UniSens-E can be programmed to operate with other makes of radio e.g. Futaba, Hi-Tec, Graupner, JETI and Spectrum, the latter with an additional adaptor).

This single unit is capable of supplying Rx Voltage/ Rx Signal Link Quality / Flight Pack Voltage & Current Amp/ Vario and particularly pertinent at the moment, a height warning! (e.g. set 122M/400ft and 'Auntie Angela' announces that height whilst the Tx itself vibrates & buzzes a warning!)

Programmable 'Crow-Braking' I found very effective in shortening the landing run-out and of course losing height!

Niggles - Not many. The canopy to my mind is retained the 'wrong-way' with its Elapor foam 'peg' at the rear, allowing in flight slipstream to potentially get under the front edge and lift off.

The elevator Elapor hinges, on the detachable tailplane halves, 'cracked' on mine after a little use so 'UHU-Por' flexi-glue hinges was required on these.

A superb model none the less.

I am now on my second Funray (I managed to destroy the first one due to my own ineptitude but don't tell anyone wink!) and can thoroughly recommend the model. I had no hesitation whatsoever in buying a replacement.

The RR version is now over 400 quid which I feel is rather pricey so I opted for the 'kit' version and sourced my own motor & electrics etc. (YEP 60A ESC, SK3 GliderDrive 3858 4.6 840Kv and some 12.5g/ 2.5Kg servos). Choosing this route saved around £150 compared to the RR version. Using a 4S 3000mah LIPO and a 12 x 6.5 folding prop gives about 750W and, as Capt Kremen says, allows 30 minutes+ flight time. Soldering your own green MPX connectors is definitely a fiddle...…….I would be inclined to buy the premade harness (circa 25 quid) if I was building another one.

The quality of the kit really is excellent. Everything fits together and, unlike so many other models, I didn't need to fettle anything. The surface finish of the foam is superb. The model has a broad performance envelope and, at one end of the spectrum, will stooge around at quite low speed and at the other end it is both acrobatic and fast (warmliner rather than hotliner but still plenty quick enough for most). It even makes a lovely whooooshing noise as it zips past on those low passes!!

My canopy has never shown any inclination to come loose but Capt Kremen makes a very valid point about the potential for this to happen. The only non-standard mod I have made is to add some bright pink vinyl panels to the underside of the wings to assist with orientation. This colour, although rather garish, does really contrast sharply with the standard black and green.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info smiley.

Congratulations on an excellent purchase smiley.

The RR version will save you all the hassle of assembling the kit and choosing components. I went the same route with another MPX product (Fun Cub XL) and it works perfectly.

Do let us know how you get on with the Funray. With the RR version there ought to be nothing to stop you maidening it tomorrow laugh. Have fun!

I am pretty sure that MPX say that the standard motor & ESC will run on 4S with a small reduction in prop size.

I mention this because on 3S I suspect that you might have to add some nose weight (my pet hate) in order to get the CoG correct. Not sure how my GliderDrive motor compares in terms of weight to the standard one but I would definitely need extra nose weight if I wasn't using heavier 4S Lipo's.

Maybe worth checking this out before splashing out on those new batteries?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The full specs are given on page 18 of the manual which of course contains much other information. Link

As others have said it's superb model that flies really well. I've had mine (the RR version) for a couple of months now and whilst it flew well straight off the board I found I needed to spend quite a bit of time fine tuning to get the most out of it.

I've ended up with the most complex setup I've ever programmed as you can have the flaps used conventionally for positive (thermal) or negative (speed) camber which I have on a side lever. Then I have coupled flaps & aileron for aerobatics, or opposite flaps & aileron for crow braking all needing different elevator compensation for the different modes and appropriate switches to enable or inhibit. I also have the throttle stick operating both the motor and the crow, using different flight modes.

• 9 months later...