Sound Test Certificate.

Our site is quite sound sensitive and as such we are introducing strict sound levels.

Each model to be issued with a certificate.

Now to stop me reinventing the wheel, does any one have any examples of certificates that they can post an image of to give me some guidelines. Who knows I may just nick the best ideas!

Thanks

Kev

Why not just have the club officials have an on-line spreadsheet (google docs for instance) where you record the Owner, the model and the engine, test date and results

Update it with each test and it can be accessed at the field via a smart phone and not a tree needs to die

We have a noise sensitive site as well. When a model passes the noise level ( 84dB @ 7 m down wind) a small orange sticker is placed on the left wing tip. The sticker measures about 1”x2” with the club name on it.

St Austell DMC is lucky to have two noise meters with their own calibration generators. These generate a specific signal when plugged into the end of the meter. The meter reading can them be adjusted by a small dial in the body via a screwdriver.

I keep a book in the noise meter case, for a permanent record. It has the date, pilot name, model, engine, muffler type, prop size, dB reading and the last column is a failsafe check.

Date, prop, engine, sound level are written on the sticker. Though after a few year the writing fades off but there is a permanent record in my book. Also in the book are the dates of the sound meter calibration.

At the moment the meter and case are in the club hut, I can get a couple of photos to show the meter and record book by the weekend if I remember

If anything is changed it’s the pilots responsibility to tell me and get a retest. No sticker.....no fly.

The local council had a complaint about our noise from a neighbour. The council came and did a noise assessment near by without our knowledge. We passed and there was no case to answer in the letter we had from them.

Edited By cymaz on 23/07/2018 06:18:27

Edited By cymaz on 23/07/2018 06:35:53

Thanks guys.

We are already logging sound levels and have them on a spreadsheet, and a hard copy held at the club.

All we are after is a simple piece of paper (that may or may not hold any "standing" for the owner of said model to show another club member if they are asked to prove that it has been sound tested.

We have considered small stickers etc etc, but decided upon the certificate route. No certificate no fly, just like "cymas" sticker,

We have also had the BMFA and local council down to the site and have passed any sound testing with flying colours.

Each model must also be re tested when changes have been made.

So yes we have considered all of the above well made points, and so all I was looking for was examples of certificates if any.

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 23/07/2018 06:53:34:

Thanks guys.

We are already logging sound levels and have them on a spreadsheet, and a hard copy held at the club.

All we are after is a simple piece of paper (that may or may not hold any "standing" for the owner of said model to show another club member if they are asked to prove that it has been sound tested.

We have considered small stickers etc etc, but decided upon the certificate route. No certificate no fly, just like "cymas" sticker.

No certificate no fly? You are going to mandate people bring these down to the field each and every time? That will last only as long as the first forgotten cert by a member of the committee...

Edited By MattyB on 23/07/2018 13:07:50

As Matty says, a certificate is not that practical. I am sure that most of us will take several models to the field which means having to hunt out the certificates for all of them. In my case I have around 20 models that are flyable and if they were all I/C then once I decided the models to fly that day, as well as sorting out fuel, starter etc, I would then have to pull out the certs for the right models. And then when I got back remember to put them back in the file, hopefully keeping them clean.

We simply update the database and then issue stickers which then get stuck inside the fuselage of the tested model. Nothing to remember and easy to do a quick check.