Local Model Shops

I agree with Nightflyer and always try to support local traders, be it the garage for car servicing or my lms which is Elite in Elland. I take the long view, you build a rapport with them and help to keep them going. True it can be more expensive in the long run but you can see and feel the product, talk face to face, get advice or natter. I do like hunting for bargains at Weston Park, the LMA meets or the web but you may save more with good advice with your trader.

I am fortunate with my lms and have bought a couple of Boomerangs from him (lost one where terminal velocity was very terminal!) and it looks like an E-Pioneer soon. He gives a club discount for us so I am happy.

I also have seen an lms close and have had spend the morning travelling miles to come away empty handed after talking to an idiot.

It is too easy to order a plane from your living room and at best send it back two weeks later when they find out it is harder than they, at worst crash it or hurt someone.

Don't know what the answer to that is when the lms is up against box shifters who pile them high and sell them low with scant regard for customer service.

Advert

I agree with the OP.

I spent a year working in Huntingdon and so visited a well known shop / online outlet. Over that 12 months - I would visit every two - three weeks or so to buy LiPos, props, glues, various bits of hardware etc.

NOT ONCE was there any sort of engagement such as "what are you flying these days?" or "closed loop linkages, is that for a glider or small scale job". Nothing. Nada. No attempt to build any sort of rapport. No attempt to find out what my interests are in order to do some gentle selling or marketing. Don't get me wrong, there was no rudeness, it was well stocked and offered good value. But the whole experience was very flat and uninspiring and sort of indifferent.

Same with a well known outlet on a Slough trading estate.

My best face to face experience has been with Als Hobbies in Stony Stratford. I have only been there three or four times, but each time Al Senior has found time for a chat, asked me what I'm flying and when he'd seen I'd bought a fairly large amount of film covering, threw in an edge cutter free of charge.

"Yes, we see a lot of guys in your situation. we've found that this plane is very popular with them, and seeing as you're new here, we can knock £5 off the price." Etc.

So you want to support your local model shop, but you think they should just discount the money they need to stay open when you buy an item because you happened to walk into the shop one time?

If they did that on a regular basis, they'd go out of business in short order.

If any modeller wants to support their LMS... Pay what the LMS asks you to pay. The people who run these shops are already being undercut by web-based business that don't have the overheads of a physical shop, they have to deal with distributers who can't/won't get the kit into the country, what they don't need is people demanding a discount just for the privilege of having you in the shop.

I don't buy "rc" stuff in bulk from my LHS but I do buy lots of static kits, Perhaps £100 every month or so. On talking terms but not first name stuff.

Last time I was in there with 3 kits £138+ I did not ask or get a discount. The guy in front of me who was on talking terms spent £85 on a charger and was told call it £80. Perhaps they owed him £5 from previous.

My point is I do not think £5 discount on a large sum will harm them, it will get return custom. Perhaps they knew he could get that charger for £80 at many shops. Like I can buy my kits cheaper else where but supporting LHS.

Just a observation.

Further to my earlier post. I was born n bred in Sussex and my LMS was in Hastings which I frequented for many years until I moved out of the area. I knew the owner (Roy Griffin) and staff well from a teenage lad to adult and it is fair to say that my family (as my dad and grandfather were also into aircraft, boats, and cars) spent money over the years but also had support back either with discounts (or even sponsorship in the case of my model car racing). As a teenager the owner saw some potential in me and said to my dad that I needed better cells and promptly gave me a pack of quality cells which transformed my racing. I have spent best part of half a century into modelling and certainly can say that those experiences really boosted my interest.

While still in Sussex was when I first came across Al Senior of Al's Hobbies fame over in Eastbourne and he was helpful from day one. I also used to go to SMC and can positively recommend them.

When I moved to Essex I was lucky to in my time have Radio-Active, Colin Bliss, Colchester A1, Balsa Cabin and also Hobbystore and Galaxy Models. Oh, and I came across Al when Hobbystore opened up and also when he started Al's Hobbies. Sadly, some are no longer trading. In all cases the staff tended to be more helpful than not, and fair to say that they all tend to be active modellers.

Online ordering has a place, but call me old fashioned I think LMS are important for not only the service they provide in model bits and pieces, but in promoting local clubs (which is how many new members often join clubs), help, guidance and support, and can also provide a social environment at times.

Posted by kc on 03/07/2019 12:49:24:

The point is that hobby shop owners & staff are more enthusiasts than salesmen, so they are not like the commission salesmen who will do anything for a sale (e.g double glazing salesmen)

But then again - unless all LMS owners are doing it as a "vanity project" they have to make money to pay rent, but stock and provide for their families.

We all buy things. Some of spend large amounts of money. So it's not about selling - but creating an environment and experience where customers are able and comfortable to buy. Big difference.

Edited By FilmBuff on 03/07/2019 13:00:52

I just order anything I need online - usually from one of half a dozen or so well-known internet retailers whose specialities and websites I now know quite well, but also sometimes from a new-to-me retailer because they're the only place that have the exact item I need. If I have any technical questions etc then I phone before placing the order online.

I probably spend a couple of hundred pounds a year extra on carriage charges, but save the equivalent in transport costs - and most importantly in time not wasted driving around southern England.

Not knocking any local model shops as such, just being pragmatic as its 2019 and I live in the sticks with nothing in the form of a LMS within an hour's driving distance or longer.

Edited By Jonathan M on 03/07/2019 15:25:12

Maybe. Lloyds & Natwest (and maybe others) have been adding an extra password authentication step to online purchases for quite some time. It seems to mostly go away if you are using the same site and same card and same computer.

Lloyds have been doing the "phone call to mobile" for some time. I get one any time a direct debit or bank transfer is set up. Repeat transfers don't trigger it. Perhaps that will go on to the credit card purchase as above, so the first purchase to a particular retailed gets the phone call.

Extra security is normally a good thing.

"said they did not do the click and collect from the Amazon boxes."

There are quite a few restrictions on the various click and collect services, - size and weight of parcel, and contents (no volatile liquids or lipos for most services) all affect availability.

Annoyingly, this means I cannot sneak the new TX I want into the house via click and collect, without it being spotted and inspected!

As for ye locale shoppes from yesteryear, I don't have one within viable travel distance.

So every shop that does postal orders is my local.

Some seem good at it, others less so. Places that aren't good don't get my repeat custom. Advice, if needed, over email and phone, again, some are good at it, and they get my custom.