Battle of Britain Day

I've been thinking, always dangerous!

Battle of Britain day is 15th Sept, it marks what was the largest, and perhaps the decisive turning point, aerial battle of the Battle. This year it falls on a Saturday, a day many of us go flying.

How about we do a fairly informal little tribute to aircrew who took part in the Battle? What I have in mind is very simple, just try to do at least one flight with a WWII warbird on that day, post that you did it on a special thread we'll provide here and hopefully include a piccy or two - they don't have to be flying shots, a ground shot off your mobile is fine!

Now let's not get too hung up on this! I feel any appropriate warbird is fine, so for example Spitfire Mk IX's obviously didn't take part but for the purposes of this a Spit is a Spit! I think US warbirds is perhaps taking it bit far, but hey let's not exclude anyone who wants to do their bit.

German prototypes equally welcome of course - let's commemorate all the brave men that took part, from both sides.

What do you think - I think it could be very nice with a good gallery of photos as well. A gentle, non-controversial, national tribute from the aeromodellers of the UK and beyond even. (Overseas and ex-pat participants very welcome too of course!)

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/09/2018 15:44:47

Advert

OK guys I've set up a gallery thread - here.

If you an get out tomorrow, 15th Sept, and fly a warbird (either side) tell us about it here and just take a photo or two on your phone and post them. Let's have a worthy tribute to the man of both sides in te Battle.

BEB

PS Let's keep the gallery thread just for actual reports of flight guys - we can chat on this thread.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/09/2018 22:30:43

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/09/2018 23:02:59

Nice one Richard. I'm hoping to fly a Spitfire Mk IX, also not in the BoB - but as I said above let's not get too hung up on detail - it's the gesture and making te effort out of respect that counts I think.

Looks a tad windy (very British understatement!) for us tomorrow, with a good chance of rain! But I'll give it a go and see if I get a weather window.

I think we should extend to Sunday as well beibg eligible - everyone OK with that? I know it's strickly speaking not the day, but it may well give more folks a chance to take part.

BEB

I've trawled the Maintenance Units and located my ancient Pegasus Models Mk 1 Hurricane. Receiver installed and programmed and battery charged...

I haven't run the engine up for many years but I've managed to free the stuck throttle barrel so I'll attempt to get her in the air this afternoon, engine (and nose-overs!) willing.

I've also emailed our club group so lets hope some more turn up to commemorate the braveness and sacrifices made by both sides in those troubled days.

Gallery thread is looking great! Keep them coming,...remember tomorrow counts as well so still time to contribute.

The prize for making a special effort so far as to go to Martin Harris who combated all sorts of difficulties, but overcome them all and the Hurri's in the air again. Well done Martin and many thanks, you do sound like you enjoyed it as well!

I had our field to myself! Half the club is on holiday, half has gone to Germany for the "Jet Power" show. The final half was scared off byt the weather, (yes we have three halves in our club - we are good as overshooting!) So I'm almost Billy-No-Mates for a few days.

BEB

Smashing photos on the Gallery thread Kiwi! Two great PSS models in beautiful scenarary! I love the idea of the cliffs in the background - you should have nipped out with a tin of white Dulux masonary paint then it would have been totally authentic!!! Seriously, lovely stuff.

Well done to every one involved so far, remember you still have today. And happy anniversary (yesterday) to onetenors Mum and Dad - even if then have "moved on" as it were!

BEB