intro & advice

Chris Smith 27

Hi everyone

I used to build models when i was young but not done anything since restarting last year. Im now retired and hate tv so last year i brought an RCM&E mag which included a plan for skywriter biplane. I have successfully completed it so building is no problem but i now want to learn to fly models.

I am looking for a plan for a trainer ideally a Cub or something. A also plan to fit a gyro to help me learn as i am an electronic/computer engineer.

Could anyone suggest a good trainer with electric motor please?

Also if anyone can provide a link to a plan i would really appreciate it.

Once built i plan to join a local model club down here in Plymouth UK.

Looking forwards to progressing my new hobby and building during the winter months.

Regards Chris

Advert

Hi Chris, I'd second what Percy said about the cub - great plane but, for example, it has a very narrow U/C and is a bit of a pain on the ground!

If you like building the DB range is good, Tinker as Percy says, also the Mascot. Straight forward to build and good flyers. Both can be converted to electric relatively easily.

If you fancy something faster to get into the air so you can start flying ASAP, the Seagull range of ARTF trainers are good - maybe take a look at the E-Pioneer - specifically designed for electric power.

Options options eh!

BEB

Chris seems to be a plan builder so might be more interested in obtaining a plan as an economic way to build a trainer. The plan for RM Trainer is here on Outerzone and could be downloaded and printed at a copy shop. There is a build blog on Modelflying for an electric version. Another type of trainer has a symmetrical wing section which many prefer. The RCM Trainer is here ( RCM was USA & not the same as RCME or RM ) and a slightly better size too.

Guys, many thanks for your replies, they make a lot of sence and i will be taking your advice. I will join my local club and drop the gyro idea.Also thanks for your suggested trainers, i will research a bit brfore starting one of the builds.

Thanks kc for the links, you are correct i love building from raw material and plans but want to take things further and start actually flying the models.

Great forum and appreciate your help.

Chris

I think the gyro stabilisation is an excellent idea for a learner. You can switch it on and off by a simple switch on your transmitter. If you get disorientated or otherwise lose control or just want a break to gather your concentration, you can switch on the stabilisation. It also helps a lot for the initial take offs and landings. Once you get used to lining up for final approaches, you can switch it off and do your own landings. This sort of technology is a wonderful thing. Take advantage of it.

If you just want a plane that is quick to build and very robust when it comes to hard landings, have a look at the Flitetest planes. You can get the plans free from their website or you can buy their kits from various sellers in the UK (use Google). They're made out of foam board, which you can buy for about £2.50 a sheet. You probably need about 4 sheets for a trainer, so it makes a very cheap plane to build. Here's their Simple Storch. This plane is so easy to fly that you don't need stabilisation. You can see it flying at the end of the video:

Edited By Dave Hess on 06/10/2018 00:29:01

Welcome to the forum Chris. Also on Outerzone is the plan for the ubiquitous and Classic Super Sixty, which was kitted by Keil Kraft many moons ago (Now available as a Ben Buckle kit). It is a three channel IC model (rudder, elevator and throttle) although you will find examples of numerous electric conversions on this forum. It is often built with an 'aileron wing' (less dihedral/ plus ailerons fitted - 4 channel). It has lots of wing area for its weight (low wing loading) and banded on wings so is quite forgiving in the event of a 'tumble' on landing. Some might argue (especially on this forum!) that it is not so good in a blow but I would suggest anyone learning to fly a model aircraft should start off in fairly calm conditions until they have got 'left and right' and 'up and down', sorted out! I think you will appreciate its traditional wood built up structure Chris. A link to a You Tube video here (aileron wing version).

Here is the link to the BMFA Club finder too. Have fun.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 06/10/2018 06:51:58

What about the RCM&E Chapter One designed by Nigel Hawes. Lots of build information on this site and available as a plan pack from Sarik Hobbies. Has the advantage of having been designed for either electric or glow power, so no conversion to do. Otherwise very conventional and can be built with or without ailerons.

Chapter One is a good idea. ( but did they ever publish the aileron wing?)

Two other planes that might suit you if you are in a building mood and will be useful when you have outgrown the trainer

Rival by Mike Delacole -plan and article on Outerzone

Ohmen by Peter Miller - free plan in last months RCME should be available as a back issue.

( note it's much cheaper to buy the mag with a free plan than buy just the plan later!)

Edited By kc on 06/10/2018 16:50:13

Plans builder? World's your oyster so to speak.

Some great trainer suggestions above.

Rival is an excellent second model.

Pronto is another db plan design. Essentially a simplified version of the rm trainer the plan on outerzone has dimensions worn on it and is dead quick to build. Sorry can't do links as on phone!

Edited By Nigel R on 06/10/2018 17:45:01

I reckon this is the Pronto that Nigel meant ( the name is also on other types of plane ) and there is a Mini Pronto too, both rather ugly .....er 'functional'!

I have found a later version of the RCM USA trainer on Outerzone - it's called the Advanced Trainer 2 which uses wing bolts instead of rubber bands and other mods.  It's a bit bigger than some others which may be easier to see for some people.

Edited By kc on 06/10/2018 18:03:21

Thanks Kc that's the one. As far as I can tell it has the exact same wing and tailplane as the rm trainer and tyro major. All of which are a 85% super 60 in terms of aerodynamics if not exact structure.

All good designs for first rc flying.

As for pronto being ugly - wash your mouth out! If you're building your own trainer you don't want to spend much time making it look pretty! And it wants to be quick to make. Pronto definitely scores there. As simple as you could make a balsa trainer build I think.

Hi Chris, There used to be a model manufacturer called Flair. They produced a semi scale model of a piper cub.

I learned to fly on one, so it was easy to fly. It was a very good kit, but not ready to fly. You might pick one up if you search around the WWW; or maybe someone knows of one sitting unused in a loft

ernie

Hi guys

Just to let you know i am reading all your replies and would like to thank you all for the advice and information. Best thing i did was join this forum, you guys have so much knowledge and experience which is helping me immensely.

Also Rick i will be popping over to the Ediston club shortly.

Cheers everyone

Chris

Posted by Ernie on 07/10/2018 09:37:40:

Hi Chris, There used to be a model manufacturer called Flair. They produced a semi scale model of a piper cub.

I learned to fly on one, so it was easy to fly. It was a very good kit, but not ready to fly. You might pick one up if you search around the WWW; or maybe someone knows of one sitting unused in a loft

ernie

Yes I acquired two abandoned projects, they flew well, but as Ernie says, they may be difficult to find now.

stripey flair cub.jpg

old stripey flair piper cub. enya 40 up.jpg