My first laser!

Andy C

Advert

Congratulations, I trust you will enjoy it.

I will not try to tell you what size it is - perhaps Jon will be on soon. All I can say is its an early one with a Super Tigre carb and glow plug angled forward - I hope you intend to put an extension lead on the plug ........................or have trained spiders  Oooooppppps flight1 beat me to it ... must speed typing

Edited By maurice northcott on 06/10/2018 08:18:05

Edited By maurice northcott on 06/10/2018 08:21:22

I have a Flair D VII with a Laser 75 up front. It has the same height relationship to the airframe as mine, the 90 is taller, so you can safely assume yours is also a 75. Suggest you try to get the throttle setup to give fine response between tickover and half throttle, as that's where you will be flying it most of the time.

Posted by Don Fry on 06/10/2018 10:30:13:

I don't think it's the 61, that would fit under the plastic Mercedes engine detail, as originally intended by Flair. It was originally designed to use the Laser 60 type motor.

The 61 doesn't fit under the dummy engine on mine, the Irvine did, but it sounded all wrong and you can't see the dummy engine in flight but you can hear the Laser and it sounds so much better than the Irvine (nothing wrong with the Irvine though and it's now doing good service in a Astro Hog)

The engine is a 75 and dates from about 1986-88. The giveaway that its a 75 and not a 61 is the size of the head and the small flat on the front of the crankcase below the fin barrel.

The 61 was the same height as the 75 and used the same size crankcase. This would not fit under the dummy engine supplied with the model. The prototype from flair used our Laser 62 which was developed from the earlier 45 and 50, and then into the current 70. This engine is very short and would fit under the bonnet.

I regret that the 61, 62 and 75 were all discontinued by 1992 and no spares or servicing support is available so if any part is lost or broken i am unable to offer any assistance.

If the engine turns over and has compression i recommend the front housing is removed (4 screws on the front, use a 3/32 allen key) and bearings checked. If they are smooth fill the crankcase with oil and put it all back together. If not, change them first. Use a 13x6 prop, start it up and after a little warm up time give it a bit of a thrashing on the small prop. Once that is sorted, and assuming it works, fit a 15x6 and go fly. The model will be well overpowered anyway so even if its wheezing a bit you wont have any trouble.